Babe: The Gallant Pig by Dick King-Smith

Babe: The Gallant Pig (original 1983; edition 2005)

by Dick King-Smith

Member:ptferris96
Title:Babe: The Gallant Pig
Authors:Dick King-Smith
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2005), Edition: 20 Anv, Hardcover, 144 pages

Babe: The Gallant Pig by Dick King-Smith (1983)

English (25)  French (1)  All languages (26)
This was a lovely book, just as lovely as the movie except it kept using the word "bitch" in its animal meaning and that uh took me aback every time? But Babe is lovely and amazing and I love having the book and being able to read it after all these years of watching the movie. ( )
  aijmiller | Jun 16, 2018 |
When Babe arrives at the Hogget farm, Mrs. Hoggett's thoughts turn to sizzling bacon and juicy pork chops. It looks as if the little pig is destined for the dinner table - until he reveals a surprising talent for sheepherding, that is.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Hormones aside, this was so beautiful I got sniffly at several places. Holds up well to adult reading, but looking forward to reading out loud with children. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I don't recall the movie, but I have a sense of having watched it - enough so my view of the book may be colored. But I think the book was darling, for early chapter readers who can suspend disbelief readily. My library's edition was printed for the 20th anniversary, and is illustrated. I don't know if other editions have pictures. I liked the illustrations a lot, but I don't know if they're key - I'm just informing you. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A charming little tale about the piglet Babe who becomes the best in understanding the sheep - and thus also a very good “sheep-pig”. I liked Babe as a character - earnest, polite and affectionate - and determined. I knew the story from the movie “Babe” - and the movie captures the feeling of the novel very well. A good reading by Stephen Thorne. ( )
  ctpress | Apr 19, 2016 |

Dick King-Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fontes, Ronmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rayner, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kneen, MaggieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Babe (1995IMDb)
"What's that Noise?" said Mrs. Hogget, sticking her comfortable round red face out of the kitchen window.
"The Sheep-Pig" and "Babe: The Gallant Pig" are the same story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375829709, Hardcover)

Babe is a sensitive soul, deeply loyal to those who are kind to him. So when he is taken in by Farmer Hogget's sheepdog, Fly, it's only natural that he would want to follow in his foster mum's paw-steps. Even with Babe's considerable handicaps as a sheepdog--namely, that he's a pig--he manages to overcome all with his earnestly polite and soft-spoken ways, proving once again that might doesn't always make right. After saving the sheep from rustlers and wild dogs, Babe convinces Hogget that his idea of becoming a sheep-pig "b'aint so stupid" as it might look. But neither Hogget nor Babe, nor anyone else, could have predicted what follows.

As utterly charming as Charlotte's Web, this book is bound to pluck even the tightest heartstrings. Masterful characterization brings every personality to vibrant life, while Mary Rayner's lively line illustrations only elucidate images Dick King-Smith has already planted in the reader's mind. Herd the whole farmyard together: readers of all ages, ambitions, and antecedents will love this one. --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

A piglet destined for eventual butchering arrives at the farmyard, is adopted by an old sheep dog, and discovers a special secret to success.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,522,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible