The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

The Bad Beginning (1999)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (1)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: old-timey fun
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari (kaledrina)
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief by Stephen M. Giles (kaledrina)
    The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart and mature kids solve big problems.
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (asphyxiad0ll)
    Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell (kaledrina)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by The Beastly Boys (FFortuna)
    The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits) by Philip Ardagh (infiniteletters)
    Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean (d_perlo)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: With a subversive author and a series of unfortunate events happening to the naughty Pinocchio, this fairy tale is very similar in style to the Unfortunate Events series. Hunt down the New York Review Books edition!
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you enjoy this brand of humor, give this book a try.
    Starcross: A Stirring Adventure of Spies, Time Travel and Curious Hats by Philip Reeve (themulhern)
    themulhern: Cleverness, fourth wall breaking, good illustrations.
    The Jolly Regina by Kara LaReau (thebestemily)

English (403)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (412)
I really enjoyed this story. I love the series on Netflix and I could hear Patrick Warburton narrating the story for me! The writing is so original and creative. I'm very disturbed that one person thinks up all the awful things for the poor Baudelaire orphans. However, it makes for great reading! I think some things are over discussed and so I do tend to get a little bored in places, but overall, a great, easy read for an adult and a must-read for kids! ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
Childhood favorite reread thoughts:

Still adore this series. I recall spending so much time reading them. I'm left really surprised by how much of it I remember.

The idea of Mr. Poe being so incompetent still drives me just as crazy. I love how evil Olaf is too. He's just despicable in the best way.

rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Struck with disaster three children are left as orphans after their parents die in a mysterious fire, they are soon put up with their strange uncle Olaf who clearly does not treat the children right. We also notice Uncle Olaf seems to be hiding some kind of secret, will the children figure out this mystery or will it take an additional 12 books to solve. (it takes 12 more)
  pitaaortiz | Nov 26, 2018 |
The Bad Beginning is the first in the series of unfortunate events. The Baudelaire children become orphans after their mansion burns down with their parents inside. Their fortune is being kept for them until they come of age. However, Count Olaf, makes a plan to make himself their guardian to try to convince Violet, the oldest sibling, to become his wife so that he can steal their fortune. However, his plan is foiled due to Violet's smart thinking.

I would use this book with grades 4th and up. Children can learn about plot, cause and effect, and predictions though this book. ( )
  KaleyD | Nov 25, 2018 |
I love this series! I read all of these books as a child and it was nice to pull them off of the shelf and read them again. These books were about the Baudelaire children who's parents were killed in a house fire and the children became orphans. The series is about them running from a relative, Count Olaf, who changes identity to try to inherit the Baudelaire fortune. This series is definitely an interesting series and gets children reading and I would definitely include this in a third or fourth grade classroom library. ( )
  AveryLong | Nov 25, 2018 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice—darling, dearest, dead.
If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
The children looked from the well-scrubbed house of Justice Strauss to the dilapidated one next door. The bricks were stained with soot and grime. There were only two small windows, which were closed with the shades drawn even though it was a nice day. Rising about the windows was a tall and dirty tower that tilted slightly to the left. The front door needed to be repainted, and carved in the middle of it was an image of an eye. The entire building sagged to the side, like a crooked tooth.

When the three Baudelaire children find out about their parent's death they are forced to live with a distant relative, Count Olaf. The witty and intelligent children live miserably with Olaf but have a few tricks up their sleeves. Growing up, I absolutely loved this series. My love began once my elementary teacher started to read it during class time. It's a tradition that I might want to keep up when I'm in my own classroom.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407667, Hardcover)

Make no mistake. The Bad Beginning begins badly for the three Baudelaire children, and then gets worse. Their misfortunes begin one gray day on Briny Beach when Mr. Poe tells them that their parents perished in a fire that destroyed their whole house. "It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed," laments the personable (occasionally pedantic) narrator, who tells the story as if his readers are gathered around an armchair on pillows. But of course what follows is dreadful. The children thought it was bad when the well-meaning Poes bought them grotesque-colored clothing that itched. But when they are ushered to the dilapidated doorstep of the miserable, thin, unshaven, shiny-eyed, money-grubbing Count Olaf, they know that they--and their family fortune--are in real trouble. Still, they could never have anticipated how much trouble. While it's true that the events that unfold in Lemony Snicket's novels are bleak, and things never turn out as you'd hope, these delightful, funny, linguistically playful books are reminiscent of Roald Dahl (remember James and the Giant Peach and his horrid spinster aunts), Charles Dickens (the orphaned Pip in Great Expectations without the mysterious benefactor), and Edward Gorey (The Gashlycrumb Tinies). There is no question that young readers will want to read the continuing unlucky adventures of the Baudelaire children in The Reptile Room and The Wide Window. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:44 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,798,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible