The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate…

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1) (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Member:girlunderglass
Title:The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1999), Hardcover, 162 pages
Collections:Your library, Children's lit
Rating:***
Tags:1990s, children's lit, American lit, whizkids

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (1999)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: old-timey fun
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari (kaledrina)
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell (kaledrina)
    The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief by Stephen M. Giles (kaledrina)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you enjoy this brand of humor, give this book a try.
    Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean (d_perlo)
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (asphyxiad0ll)
    The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits) by Philip Ardagh (infiniteletters)
    The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart and mature kids solve big problems.
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by The Beastly Boys (FFortuna)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: With a subversive author and a series of unfortunate events happening to the naughty Pinocchio, this fairy tale is very similar in style to the Unfortunate Events series. Hunt down the New York Review Books edition!
    The Hidden Boy by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    A House Called Awful End by Philip Ardagh (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Young protagonists repeatedly find themselves in (often humorously) grim situations.

English (358)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All (366)
This book would be a great novel to explain voice. I also believe that Lemony Snicket does a great job at adding asides and foreshadowing the feature. Has the qualities of a play within a novel. ( )
  maddiesullivan223 | May 4, 2017 |
Not every story has a happy ending. In the case of the Baudelaire children, happiness is hard to come by. This series follows their lives after the tragic death of their parents. The things they go through are truly "a series of unfortunate events". This particular book details how it all began. This series is written in a way that the reader is learning vocabulary on virtually every page. The captivating story is sure to keep readers interested and wondering what else is in store for those poor, unfortunate Baudelaire children. ( )
  Cayetlin_Hardeman | Apr 26, 2017 |
I'm i the only person who read this as an adult?

i'm glad i finally read it though , and i'm sure i wouldn't have been able to appreciate it well enough as a child.

It's a very well written story , i feel like i might be the only person who loved Lemony Snicket's style . i loved the explanations he gave and the meaning for some words , i understand why some might find it a bit patronizing but i enjoyed it .

It made me feel as if i was sitting in a chair next to my grandpa who is in this case Lemony , while he read the book to me.

[image]

And it was very easy to get visual images of the scenes as the story went on , big point for that!
[image]

The story is very fun and the characters are interesting enough , The Baudelaire children are my favorites , they are brave , and smart .
Count Olaf made this much more interesting even though he is evil and tends to be very disgusting

One thing i hated is the way the communication between the children and the adults happens , it was very annoying and too much like a cartoon , but i guess it is necessary to serve the purpose of the story. ( )
  Spymer | Apr 7, 2017 |
I was completely unable to believe what I was reading when I started this book. The absurd and macabre humour was all too perfect. I was struck by the physical form of it too. The way that the pages gave the impression of having been cut. It was the first time I'd encountered that and I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but naturally it came to grow on me when I realised it was a sign of a deliberate and high-quality attentiveness to publication rather than shabby carelessness. As with other series' on here that I read as a kid, I leave the remaining books out. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
I was curious about the books when I watched a few episodes of the new series. Of course, as I'm reading the book, I am picturing Patrick Warburton's voice throughout the book, which is not a bad thing. I enjoyed the story which there were some differences between the series and the book, but not a lot.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/124544.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Mar 27, 2017 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice—darling, dearest, dead.
If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
The children looked from the well-scrubbed house of Justice Strauss to the dilapidated one next door. The bricks were stained with soot and grime. There were only two small windows, which were closed with the shades drawn even though it was a nice day. Rising about the windows was a tall and dirty tower that tilted slightly to the left. The front door needed to be repainted, and carved in the middle of it was an image of an eye. The entire building sagged to the side, like a crooked tooth.

When the three Baudelaire children find out about their parent's death they are forced to live with a distant relative, Count Olaf. The witty and intelligent children live miserably with Olaf but have a few tricks up their sleeves. Growing up, I absolutely loved this series. My love began once my elementary teacher started to read it during class time. It's a tradition that I might want to keep up when I'm in my own classroom.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407667, Hardcover)

Make no mistake. The Bad Beginning begins badly for the three Baudelaire children, and then gets worse. Their misfortunes begin one gray day on Briny Beach when Mr. Poe tells them that their parents perished in a fire that destroyed their whole house. "It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed," laments the personable (occasionally pedantic) narrator, who tells the story as if his readers are gathered around an armchair on pillows. But of course what follows is dreadful. The children thought it was bad when the well-meaning Poes bought them grotesque-colored clothing that itched. But when they are ushered to the dilapidated doorstep of the miserable, thin, unshaven, shiny-eyed, money-grubbing Count Olaf, they know that they--and their family fortune--are in real trouble. Still, they could never have anticipated how much trouble. While it's true that the events that unfold in Lemony Snicket's novels are bleak, and things never turn out as you'd hope, these delightful, funny, linguistically playful books are reminiscent of Roald Dahl (remember James and the Giant Peach and his horrid spinster aunts), Charles Dickens (the orphaned Pip in Great Expectations without the mysterious benefactor), and Edward Gorey (The Gashlycrumb Tinies). There is no question that young readers will want to read the continuing unlucky adventures of the Baudelaire children in The Reptile Room and The Wide Window. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:44 -0400)

10 yrs+

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,384,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible