The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate…

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1) (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:booksandwine
Title:The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Scholastic, Inc. (2000), Paperback, 162 pages

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (1999)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: old-timey fun
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari (kaledrina)
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief by Stephen M. Giles (kaledrina)
    Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell (kaledrina)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you enjoy this brand of humor, give this book a try.
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (asphyxiad0ll)
    The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart and mature kids solve big problems.
    Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean (d_perlo)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: With a subversive author and a series of unfortunate events happening to the naughty Pinocchio, this fairy tale is very similar in style to the Unfortunate Events series. Hunt down the New York Review Books edition!
    The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits) by Philip Ardagh (infiniteletters)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by David Sinden (FFortuna)
    The Hidden Boy by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    A House Called Awful End by Philip Ardagh (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Young protagonists repeatedly find themselves in (often humorously) grim situations.

English (304)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (312)
Not my cup of hemlock. ( )
  librisissimo | Mar 26, 2015 |
I think children can handle the creepy factor better than adults, and I think the author knows this. As adult readers, we may cringe seeing the child protagonists placed in such awful predicaments . . . but for how many children is this either sadly cathartic or pure escapism, too far removed from reality to be more than thrilling distraction? So, no, I don't have a problem with the "dark" or "creepy" story. Not at all. As other reviewers have said, the precocious children versus the wicked and/or stupid adults is reminiscent of Dahl.

I don't rate this higher because I found it rather predictable and a bit bland. The three Baudelaire children, while given distinctive traits: Violet, the oldest, likes to invent things, Klaus, the middle child, likes to read and Sunny, the baby, likes to bite - they never show any depth beyond these initial concepts and they don't really stick in my mind. Count Olaf, the villain, is an eccentric old actor who abuses the children, drinks too much wine, and even plots to trick Violet into marrying him - all so he can steal their inheritance.

I was expecting more dark humour from the writing, but it fell flat. I didn't find the narrator pausing to explain words funny, I found it patronizing and annoying. Even as a child I would have been rolling my eyes every time he does that. The whole thing just failed to work for me. Lots of people say the series gets better later on so, I don't know, I may or may not give The Reptile Room a try.

Also, this may be an odd thing for an adult reader to complain about, but it really could have used a few more illustrations. The pictures were far too sparse, IMO and could have added a lot of enjoyability to the book. I've heard Tim Curry narrates the audio version though, so I bet that's a hoot. ( )
  catfantastic | Mar 23, 2015 |
Since watching the movie years ago, I’ve been wanting to read this series. Even though I’ve been wanting to read it, I just couldn’t bring myself to buy these books. They just seemed too expensive for such short books. So when my Dad got me the first in the series, I was so excited that I started reading it right away.

I have a feeling I would have given this book five stars if I hadn’t seen the movie first. It is that good. I love how dark it is. I wish I had read this series when I was a kid. I can’t wait to read the rest of this series.

Note: This is an older review. So I don’t feel like I can get more into what I liked. Maybe someday I will re-read The Bad Beginning and do a better review. Though I will probably wait until I have the whole series. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Mar 8, 2015 |
Audio version is positively brilliant. Tim Curry is the narrator and there is a full voice cast and it brings the wickedly dark and funny tale to life. The story itself is marvelous as it never talks down to children or hides some of he darker aspects of life. Great characters, wicked dialogue and fast moving storyline will delight the 9+ set (or us 44 yr old moms) ( )
  mountie9 | Dec 30, 2014 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice—darling, dearest, dead.
If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
The children looked from the well-scrubbed house of Justice Strauss to the dilapidated one next door. The bricks were stained with soot and grime. There were only two small windows, which were closed with the shades drawn even though it was a nice day. Rising about the windows was a tall and dirty tower that tilted slightly to the left. The front door needed to be repainted, and carved in the middle of it was an image of an eye. The entire building sagged to the side, like a crooked tooth.
After the sudden death of their parents, the three Baudelaire children must depend on each other and their wits when it turns out that the distant relative who is appointed their guardian is determined to use any means necessary to get their fortune.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407667, Hardcover)

Make no mistake. The Bad Beginning begins badly for the three Baudelaire children, and then gets worse. Their misfortunes begin one gray day on Briny Beach when Mr. Poe tells them that their parents perished in a fire that destroyed their whole house. "It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed," laments the personable (occasionally pedantic) narrator, who tells the story as if his readers are gathered around an armchair on pillows. But of course what follows is dreadful. The children thought it was bad when the well-meaning Poes bought them grotesque-colored clothing that itched. But when they are ushered to the dilapidated doorstep of the miserable, thin, unshaven, shiny-eyed, money-grubbing Count Olaf, they know that they--and their family fortune--are in real trouble. Still, they could never have anticipated how much trouble. While it's true that the events that unfold in Lemony Snicket's novels are bleak, and things never turn out as you'd hope, these delightful, funny, linguistically playful books are reminiscent of Roald Dahl (remember James and the Giant Peach and his horrid spinster aunts), Charles Dickens (the orphaned Pip in Great Expectations without the mysterious benefactor), and Edward Gorey (The Gashlycrumb Tinies). There is no question that young readers will want to read the continuing unlucky adventures of the Baudelaire children in The Reptile Room and The Wide Window. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:59 -0400)

10 yrs+

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,216,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible