The Bad Beginning: Or, Orphans! (A Series of…

The Bad Beginning: Or, Orphans! (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1) (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Title:The Bad Beginning: Or, Orphans! (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned, Favorites
Tags:orphans, plays, children, evil, money, Olaf, Sunny, Klaus, Violet

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (1999)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: old-timey fun
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari (kaledrina)
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief by Stephen M. Giles (kaledrina)
    Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell (kaledrina)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you enjoy this brand of humor, give this book a try.
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (asphyxiad0ll)
    The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart and mature kids solve big problems.
    Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean (d_perlo)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: With a subversive author and a series of unfortunate events happening to the naughty Pinocchio, this fairy tale is very similar in style to the Unfortunate Events series. Hunt down the New York Review Books edition!
    The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits) by Philip Ardagh (infiniteletters)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by David Sinden (FFortuna)
    The Hidden Boy by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    A House Called Awful End by Philip Ardagh (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Young protagonists repeatedly find themselves in (often humorously) grim situations.

English (314)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (321)
hehehe.. It's a nice, entertaining book.
:) ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
2.5/5 stars
I post all my reviews to athroneofbooks.booklikes.com

After a long day I wanted to read but I wanted something light, and entertaining. I opted for a kid’s book, The Bad Beginning, thinking that if I enjoyed it I would have several more books in this series to read after days like today. I don’t know how I felt about the book. I didn’t hate it. I didn’t like it.

I didn’t have a difficult time with it because of the awful events happening to children or because Count Olaf was a horrid man. I think it was mostly because I knew that even as a child I would have been insulted by the defining every “difficult” word. I mean I was reading books like The Giver and Princess Diaries as a kindergartener because I found reading fun. I can see the appeal for certain types of kids but as a kid I wouldn’t have liked it. The story behind that is one that I think could have been great but was effectively ruined by the annoying and constant definitions.

And yet, despite giving such a low rating and finding the style of writing quite irritating, I still do want to read the second book in the series. I guess that speaks on how much I could have loved the story without its glaring flaw. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
A Series of Unfortunate Events is a series I’ve wanted to read for a long time. I always thought it looked so good and I really have a thing for great middle grade novels. I’d always see copies of the books in the bookstore where I volunteer – and would buy them from time to time. It wasn’t until I bought a like-new hardcover of the first volume, The Bad Beginning, that I finally got a chance to sit down and start this series I’ve been so curious about.

It’s definitely a unique middle grade book in that it’s not altogether very cheerful (as the name definitely states). The three Baudelaire children are orphaned early on in the novel and thus begins the series of unfortunate events. Violet (the oldest), Klaus, and Sunny (the baby who bites!) are all very smart for children and they each have a distinct personality.

It’s a really short and quick, fun read. I recommend it if you like middle grade books, are a fan of gothic lit/[a:Gaiman, Neil|7706066|Gaiman, Neil|https://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-d9f6a4a5badfda0f69e70cc94d962125.png]. I can’t wait to read the next book in this series of unfortunate events.
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Definitely a fun but sad tale. Darkly humorous in some ways but still a great read for children. Also the amount of wit used in the language was very enjoyable. A story of a horrible event ensuing in three children's lives followed by one atrocity after the next. These clever children learn to survive though and must constantly be on the look out of their evil uncle count Olaf who is after their fortune. A gripping tale for all children and classic at that. ( )
  alejandro.santana | Jul 2, 2015 |
For some reason I never got the chance to read the A Series of Unfortunate Events collection as a kid, but I recently bought the entire series. Better late than never.
Just from reading the first book I feel like I would’ve LOVED this series as a kid. Even as an adult I enjoyed the quick read and look forward to reading the rest of the books. I did find it slightly annoying how the author would deviate from the story to stop and explain words, but I get how that’d be helpful for younger readers so I tried not to let it bother me too much ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | May 20, 2015 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snicket, Lemonymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice—darling, dearest, dead.
If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
The children looked from the well-scrubbed house of Justice Strauss to the dilapidated one next door. The bricks were stained with soot and grime. There were only two small windows, which were closed with the shades drawn even though it was a nice day. Rising about the windows was a tall and dirty tower that tilted slightly to the left. The front door needed to be repainted, and carved in the middle of it was an image of an eye. The entire building sagged to the side, like a crooked tooth.
After the sudden death of their parents, the three Baudelaire children must depend on each other and their wits when it turns out that the distant relative who is appointed their guardian is determined to use any means necessary to get their fortune.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407667, Hardcover)

Make no mistake. The Bad Beginning begins badly for the three Baudelaire children, and then gets worse. Their misfortunes begin one gray day on Briny Beach when Mr. Poe tells them that their parents perished in a fire that destroyed their whole house. "It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed," laments the personable (occasionally pedantic) narrator, who tells the story as if his readers are gathered around an armchair on pillows. But of course what follows is dreadful. The children thought it was bad when the well-meaning Poes bought them grotesque-colored clothing that itched. But when they are ushered to the dilapidated doorstep of the miserable, thin, unshaven, shiny-eyed, money-grubbing Count Olaf, they know that they--and their family fortune--are in real trouble. Still, they could never have anticipated how much trouble. While it's true that the events that unfold in Lemony Snicket's novels are bleak, and things never turn out as you'd hope, these delightful, funny, linguistically playful books are reminiscent of Roald Dahl (remember James and the Giant Peach and his horrid spinster aunts), Charles Dickens (the orphaned Pip in Great Expectations without the mysterious benefactor), and Edward Gorey (The Gashlycrumb Tinies). There is no question that young readers will want to read the continuing unlucky adventures of the Baudelaire children in The Reptile Room and The Wide Window. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:44 -0400)

10 yrs+

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,701,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible