The Bad Beginning: Or, Orphans! (A Series of…

The Bad Beginning: Or, Orphans! (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1) (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

13,203363166 (3.68)223
Member:meadert
Title:The Bad Beginning: Or, Orphans! (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:orphans, plays, children, evil, money, Olaf, Sunny, Klaus, Violet

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (1999)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: old-timey fun
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari (kaledrina)
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell (kaledrina)
    The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief by Stephen M. Giles (kaledrina)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you enjoy this brand of humor, give this book a try.
    Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean (d_perlo)
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (asphyxiad0ll)
    The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits) by Philip Ardagh (infiniteletters)
    The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart and mature kids solve big problems.
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by David Sinden (FFortuna)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: With a subversive author and a series of unfortunate events happening to the naughty Pinocchio, this fairy tale is very similar in style to the Unfortunate Events series. Hunt down the New York Review Books edition!
    The Hidden Boy by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    A House Called Awful End by Philip Ardagh (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Young protagonists repeatedly find themselves in (often humorously) grim situations.

English (354)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All (362)
The novel, The Bad Beginning, has a grimy, evil character Count Olaf who will stop at nothing to possess the Baudelaire fortune. He is granted custody of the three children who will inherit the fortune when they are of age. While the children are in Olaf’s care he does not treat them very well, he physically and emotionally abuses them. Olaf devises a plan to steal the fortune by forcing four-teen year old Violet to marry him. Luckily, Violet out smarts him and saves herself from marriage and the loss of her fortune and Count Olaf escapes before being arrested. ( )
  MaiaBlaise | Mar 15, 2017 |
The Bad Beginning. It kinda was. I had high expectations and now I'm not sure what to think!? I'm rather confused, but still believe I'm gonna end up liking this series more than I do now! Let's see what we'll find in The Reptile Room! ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Mar 9, 2017 |
I think people how like mystery books should read it . ( )
  ZanattS | Mar 5, 2017 |
A good book that kept most children interested. Younger children 5/6years old did not enjoy it as much as older children. Some children were shocked by mild violence and what they considered unjust treatment. ( )
  michellehewitt | Mar 5, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book a lot. I would have never considered this book if it weren’t for the Netflix series, and I found that the book was just as enjoyable as the show.

I loved how the book was narrated; it’s what I liked most about the book. The narrator had a clear, strong voice that created a great flow and atmosphere to the book. I also enjoyed the narrator interreacts with the reader, it’s a fun twist to the book, and I find it creates a fun, and for some, an educational read, especially compared to some of the other children’s books I’ve read.

The characters, at least at the moment, are average for me. I don’t have a favourite yet, but their overall story has me interested in the series, which I plan on finishing at some point. I do want to find out about what happened to their parents, and I do want to know how their lives carry out, but they’re not at the point where I’ve fallen in love with them.

Overall, a fun book – well worth reading. I wish I had this series when I was young, as I would have enjoyed the series a lot.

Also found on my book blog Jules' Book Reviews - The Bad Beginning ( )
  bookwormjules | Mar 4, 2017 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice—darling, dearest, dead.
If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
The children looked from the well-scrubbed house of Justice Strauss to the dilapidated one next door. The bricks were stained with soot and grime. There were only two small windows, which were closed with the shades drawn even though it was a nice day. Rising about the windows was a tall and dirty tower that tilted slightly to the left. The front door needed to be repainted, and carved in the middle of it was an image of an eye. The entire building sagged to the side, like a crooked tooth.

After the sudden death of their parents, the three Baudelaire children must depend on each other and their wits when it turns out that the distant relative who is appointed their guardian is determined to use any means necessary to get their fortune.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407667, Hardcover)

Make no mistake. The Bad Beginning begins badly for the three Baudelaire children, and then gets worse. Their misfortunes begin one gray day on Briny Beach when Mr. Poe tells them that their parents perished in a fire that destroyed their whole house. "It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed," laments the personable (occasionally pedantic) narrator, who tells the story as if his readers are gathered around an armchair on pillows. But of course what follows is dreadful. The children thought it was bad when the well-meaning Poes bought them grotesque-colored clothing that itched. But when they are ushered to the dilapidated doorstep of the miserable, thin, unshaven, shiny-eyed, money-grubbing Count Olaf, they know that they--and their family fortune--are in real trouble. Still, they could never have anticipated how much trouble. While it's true that the events that unfold in Lemony Snicket's novels are bleak, and things never turn out as you'd hope, these delightful, funny, linguistically playful books are reminiscent of Roald Dahl (remember James and the Giant Peach and his horrid spinster aunts), Charles Dickens (the orphaned Pip in Great Expectations without the mysterious benefactor), and Edward Gorey (The Gashlycrumb Tinies). There is no question that young readers will want to read the continuing unlucky adventures of the Baudelaire children in The Reptile Room and The Wide Window. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:44 -0400)

10 yrs+

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,241,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible