A Series of Unfortunate Events #1: The Bad…

A Series of Unfortunate Events #1: The Bad Beginning: A Series of… (original 1999; edition 2009)

by Lemony Snicket, Michael Kupperman (Illustrator), Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:A Series of Unfortunate Events #1: The Bad Beginning: A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Michael Kupperman (Illustrator), Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2009), Kindle Edition, 176 pages
Collections:Read in 2013 (inactive), Your library
Tags:Kindle, 2013

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (1999)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: old-timey fun
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari (kaledrina)
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell (kaledrina)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean (d_perlo)
    The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief by Stephen M. Giles (kaledrina)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you enjoy this brand of humor, give this book a try.
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart and mature kids solve big problems.
    The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits) by Philip Ardagh (infiniteletters)
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (asphyxiad0ll)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by David Sinden (FFortuna)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: With a subversive author and a series of unfortunate events happening to the naughty Pinocchio, this fairy tale is very similar in style to the Unfortunate Events series. Hunt down the New York Review Books edition!
    The Hidden Boy by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    A House Called Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy) by Philip Ardagh (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Young protagonists repeatedly find themselves in (often humorously) grim situations.

English (284)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (292)
This is a great book. I picked this book up at my local Goodwill and I would like to continue the rest of the series to keep in my book collection. I really love Lemony Snickett's writing style. His books are completely cynical but so humorous. This book would be a great way to introduce children to chapter books. The story line is great and makes you want to continue reading. This was a quick, but enjoyable read for me.

For a complete review: please visit my blog at the link below on or after March 18, 2014

blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
I am not quite sure what I want to say about this book really.

It's a very easy read, I finished it within a 24 hour period. It is well written and the characters are very much believable (to a degree). He made you love the ones you were supposed to love and strongly dislike the ones you were meant to dislike.

I loved the Baudelaire children, especially the baby. I loved the Judge and her willingness to allow them to come into her home and how she mothered them. I especially enjoyed the pictures in the book and how well they were drawn.

Snicket's writing style is unique, to me anyway, and very easy to read and understand. And I can see why his stories are so popular.

Now, knowing that this is a children's books, it still kind of drove me crazy how he would say a word or phrase and then describe what it meant. I just kept thinking: Why can't he just use something different? Instead of using phrases or words he will have to explain anyway, why not just use different wording? Well, I guess he had his reasons and purpose for it. Maybe to teach the children that are reading the books something new while giving them a fun story to read. I don't know. But that was the only thing I didn't really like about the book. Again, I know this is a children's book, I was just giving my opinion on how I felt about it.

I have books 2-4 on my shelf waiting for me when I am ready to go on in the series, but I am not quite sure when that will be. I am glad that I finally just gave in and read this book after putting it off for so many years because I wasn't quite sure how I would feel about the books. I would pick it up, read the first paragraph then put it back down. This time, I was just determined to read at least this first one, get a feel for it and decide whether I will go on or not. Well, I do plan on reading at least the next three I have on my shelf, whether I get through those next three or not, or even go on after that, is still unclear but I will at least know for sure now why people love these little books so much. ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Although not as exciting as some of its sequels, The Bad Beginning sets the stage well for the later instalments. The key players are well introduced and are incredibly memorable but the finest aspect of the story lies in its writing.

Snicket's style is vibrant and imaginative, spicing the serious subject matter with a dark humor that will appeal to readers of all ages. Although some may find exception with the repetitive nature of his narration, I found it to be charming and am really looking forward to seeing where this series goes in the future. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
I LOOOOOOOVE THISBOOK SERIES!! I mean how come they never made a second movie adaptation! I found the movie awesome! I mean. Yeah. (nothing will beat the Harry Potter series, of course). I remember watching the movie first before reading the book. (I was just 8 or 9 or 10 by then, i think) so i read the book after i watched the movie. And i really liked the book. The Baudelaire children are so 'unfortunate' but they still manage to stick together and outsmart the ever so evil Count Olaf. Must-read! ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
I actually listened to this on tape/cd. If you get the chance, it is read by Tim Curry, and what is not to love about him reading a kids book? ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice—darling, dearest, dead.
If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
The children looked from the well-scrubbed house of Justice Strauss to the dilapidated one next door. The bricks were stained with soot and grime. There were only two small windows, which were closed with the shades drawn even though it was a nice day. Rising about the windows was a tall and dirty tower that tilted slightly to the left. The front door needed to be repainted, and carved in the middle of it was an image of an eye. The entire building sagged to the side, like a crooked tooth.
After the sudden death of their parents, the three Baudelaire children must depend on each other and their wits when it turns out that the distant relative who is appointed their guardian is determined to use any means necessary to get their fortune.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407667, Hardcover)

Make no mistake. The Bad Beginning begins badly for the three Baudelaire children, and then gets worse. Their misfortunes begin one gray day on Briny Beach when Mr. Poe tells them that their parents perished in a fire that destroyed their whole house. "It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed," laments the personable (occasionally pedantic) narrator, who tells the story as if his readers are gathered around an armchair on pillows. But of course what follows is dreadful. The children thought it was bad when the well-meaning Poes bought them grotesque-colored clothing that itched. But when they are ushered to the dilapidated doorstep of the miserable, thin, unshaven, shiny-eyed, money-grubbing Count Olaf, they know that they--and their family fortune--are in real trouble. Still, they could never have anticipated how much trouble. While it's true that the events that unfold in Lemony Snicket's novels are bleak, and things never turn out as you'd hope, these delightful, funny, linguistically playful books are reminiscent of Roald Dahl (remember James and the Giant Peach and his horrid spinster aunts), Charles Dickens (the orphaned Pip in Great Expectations without the mysterious benefactor), and Edward Gorey (The Gashlycrumb Tinies). There is no question that young readers will want to read the continuing unlucky adventures of the Baudelaire children in The Reptile Room and The Wide Window. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:59 -0400)

10 yrs+

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible