The Bad Beginning by Snicket,Lemony. [1999]…

The Bad Beginning by Snicket,Lemony. [1999] Hardcover (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Snicket

Member:epixpivotmaster
Title:The Bad Beginning by Snicket,Lemony. [1999] Hardcover
Authors:Snicket
Info:Harper CoIin (1999), Hardcover

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (1999)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: old-timey fun
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari (kaledrina)
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart and mature kids solve big problems.
    Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell (kaledrina)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief by Stephen M. Giles (kaledrina)
    The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits) by Philip Ardagh (infiniteletters)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: With a subversive author and a series of unfortunate events happening to the naughty Pinocchio, this fairy tale is very similar in style to the Unfortunate Events series. Hunt down the New York Review Books edition!
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (asphyxiad0ll)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by The Beastly Boys (FFortuna)
    Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean (d_perlo)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you enjoy this brand of humor, give this book a try.
    The Jolly Regina by Kara LaReau (thebestemily)
    Starcross: A Stirring Adventure of Spies, Time Travel and Curious Hats by Philip Reeve (themulhern)
    themulhern: Cleverness, fourth wall breaking, good illustrations.

English (392)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (400)
This is a likable book, however it didn't impress me as much as I had expected. Perhaps it is because the market is so saturated with orphan books. The story is always the same. The adults are evil, never acting in the kids best interests, and the kids are always trying to outwit the adults. Snicket is different in that there is no happy ending. It's his trademark and I kind of appreciate that for it's originality, but it's also very dark for a kid's book.

The Baudelaire children are orphaned after their parents die in a house fire. Violet, the oldest, will inherit the Baudelaire fortune when she turns 18. In the meantime, she, brother Claus, and her baby sister Sunny, are being placed under the care of the self-interested, untidy, cruel, Count Olaf. Olaf will stop at nothing to get access to the inheritance. The plan he devises is as far out there as they come. His theatre group is performing a play with a marriage scene. Olaf will play the groom and Violet is forced to play the bride in order to save Sunny from certain demise. Since Olaf unwittingly enlists the neighborhood judge to play the court official in the play, the wedding will be binding by law.

I found the whole marriage thing to be downright weird. Olaf insists that the Baudelaire children call him dad, but then he attempts to marry Violet who is his foster child. This is probably why reviewers will sometimes refer to the book as "creepy." I like the narration style of talking directly to the reader. It kind of makes you a character in the story. This is such a striking aspect of the book that it has become the standard bearer for this narration style.

I liked the book enough that it makes me want to check out the TV series. ( )
  valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
We quite enjoyed these - a not-everything-ends-well Dahl-like misery. Good stuff. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
After the recent death of their parents 3 orphans are sent to live with their evil uncle who has always wanted their fortune. He plans a way to get his name attached, but will it work? This book is one of my child hood favorites and taught me a lot about problem solving as it would for future students. This is a good chapter book to start reading for students who are interested. ( )
  AshleySurbrook | Sep 19, 2018 |
I just, y'know, kind of ate this one up. I don't think there is a thing I dislike about it (and for the record, I think the show is just as good!). ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Read all the books but, the series is way to long and dragged out to have a marathon. Believe me. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice—darling, dearest, dead.
If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
The children looked from the well-scrubbed house of Justice Strauss to the dilapidated one next door. The bricks were stained with soot and grime. There were only two small windows, which were closed with the shades drawn even though it was a nice day. Rising about the windows was a tall and dirty tower that tilted slightly to the left. The front door needed to be repainted, and carved in the middle of it was an image of an eye. The entire building sagged to the side, like a crooked tooth.

When the three Baudelaire children find out about their parent's death they are forced to live with a distant relative, Count Olaf. The witty and intelligent children live miserably with Olaf but have a few tricks up their sleeves. Growing up, I absolutely loved this series. My love began once my elementary teacher started to read it during class time. It's a tradition that I might want to keep up when I'm in my own classroom.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407667, Hardcover)

Make no mistake. The Bad Beginning begins badly for the three Baudelaire children, and then gets worse. Their misfortunes begin one gray day on Briny Beach when Mr. Poe tells them that their parents perished in a fire that destroyed their whole house. "It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed," laments the personable (occasionally pedantic) narrator, who tells the story as if his readers are gathered around an armchair on pillows. But of course what follows is dreadful. The children thought it was bad when the well-meaning Poes bought them grotesque-colored clothing that itched. But when they are ushered to the dilapidated doorstep of the miserable, thin, unshaven, shiny-eyed, money-grubbing Count Olaf, they know that they--and their family fortune--are in real trouble. Still, they could never have anticipated how much trouble. While it's true that the events that unfold in Lemony Snicket's novels are bleak, and things never turn out as you'd hope, these delightful, funny, linguistically playful books are reminiscent of Roald Dahl (remember James and the Giant Peach and his horrid spinster aunts), Charles Dickens (the orphaned Pip in Great Expectations without the mysterious benefactor), and Edward Gorey (The Gashlycrumb Tinies). There is no question that young readers will want to read the continuing unlucky adventures of the Baudelaire children in The Reptile Room and The Wide Window. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:44 -0400)

10 yrs+

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,835,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible