The Bad Beginning by Snicket,Lemony. [1999]…

The Bad Beginning by Snicket,Lemony. [1999] Hardcover (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Snicket

Member:epixpivotmaster
Title:The Bad Beginning by Snicket,Lemony. [1999] Hardcover
Authors:Snicket
Info:Harper CoIin (1999), Hardcover

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (1999)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: old-timey fun
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari (kaledrina)
    The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart and mature kids solve big problems.
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell (kaledrina)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (asphyxiad0ll)
    The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits) by Philip Ardagh (infiniteletters)
    The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief by Stephen M. Giles (kaledrina)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by The Beastly Boys (FFortuna)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: With a subversive author and a series of unfortunate events happening to the naughty Pinocchio, this fairy tale is very similar in style to the Unfortunate Events series. Hunt down the New York Review Books edition!
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you enjoy this brand of humor, give this book a try.
    Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean (d_perlo)
    Starcross: A Stirring Adventure of Spies, Time Travel and Curious Hats by Philip Reeve (themulhern)
    themulhern: Cleverness, fourth wall breaking, good illustrations.
    The Jolly Regina by Kara LaReau (thebestemily)

English (403)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (412)
Summary
This book is about three troubled children, Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire. They all have their own talents. Violet can invent almost anything once her hair is out of the way, tied up. Klaus loves to read and can retain all of the information that he reads. And little sunny loves to chew and bite on things. All three kids were at Briny beach when a man named Mr. Poe gave them some very devastating news. Their house had burned down and there parents died in the fire. The Baudelaire orphans were sent to live with Mr. Poe until they have found a place for the siblings to leave. The only other place the siblings were able to go was a mysterious man named Count Olaf. Apparently he was in the Baudelaire parents’ Will. the Baudelaires had a very big fortune and Violet was to receive this fortune once she was of age. Count Olaf really wanted the Baudelaire fortune. So he decided to plan a play with a marriage scene. Making Violet the bride. What the kids did not know was this was an actual marriage. They were very suspicious of the play so they decided to do some research and found out Count Olaf’s plan. Once Mr. Poe heard of the whole Marriage scenario, he said the orphans could move in with him. For now until new living arrangements were made.

Opinion
I think this was a really good book. If you had any words that you wouldnt understand the author did a great job defining them. Repeatedly the reader is told if you do not like books without a happy ending, this isn't the book for you, and thats all im telling you I can not wait to read the whole series. The book is pretty easy to read, if you don't really love reading. Even if you do love reading, it's a great book. I recommend and i give ten out of ten stars. ( )
  SanaA.G1 | Mar 27, 2019 |
For years I've been meaning to read something from this series because I'd heard so much about it. I finally read this first book in the series and I'm not impressed. Do kids really need stuff this dark? The plot wasn't great, either--creepy great uncle trying to marry his fourteen year-old niece? Just didn't like it. Unpleasant is the word I'd use to describe it. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
I like how very tongue and cheek this book was! I enjoyed the movie and the book even better! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
I kinda just ate this one up. It's a very likable book and I dig the Gothic, "creepy" vibe very much. That definitely appeals to me. ( )
  mandarella | Jan 22, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this story. I love the series on Netflix and I could hear Patrick Warburton narrating the story for me! The writing is so original and creative. I'm very disturbed that one person thinks up all the awful things for the poor Baudelaire orphans. However, it makes for great reading! I think some things are over discussed and so I do tend to get a little bored in places, but overall, a great, easy read for an adult and a must-read for kids! ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice—darling, dearest, dead.
If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
The children looked from the well-scrubbed house of Justice Strauss to the dilapidated one next door. The bricks were stained with soot and grime. There were only two small windows, which were closed with the shades drawn even though it was a nice day. Rising about the windows was a tall and dirty tower that tilted slightly to the left. The front door needed to be repainted, and carved in the middle of it was an image of an eye. The entire building sagged to the side, like a crooked tooth.

When the three Baudelaire children find out about their parent's death they are forced to live with a distant relative, Count Olaf. The witty and intelligent children live miserably with Olaf but have a few tricks up their sleeves. Growing up, I absolutely loved this series. My love began once my elementary teacher started to read it during class time. It's a tradition that I might want to keep up when I'm in my own classroom.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407667, Hardcover)

Make no mistake. The Bad Beginning begins badly for the three Baudelaire children, and then gets worse. Their misfortunes begin one gray day on Briny Beach when Mr. Poe tells them that their parents perished in a fire that destroyed their whole house. "It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed," laments the personable (occasionally pedantic) narrator, who tells the story as if his readers are gathered around an armchair on pillows. But of course what follows is dreadful. The children thought it was bad when the well-meaning Poes bought them grotesque-colored clothing that itched. But when they are ushered to the dilapidated doorstep of the miserable, thin, unshaven, shiny-eyed, money-grubbing Count Olaf, they know that they--and their family fortune--are in real trouble. Still, they could never have anticipated how much trouble. While it's true that the events that unfold in Lemony Snicket's novels are bleak, and things never turn out as you'd hope, these delightful, funny, linguistically playful books are reminiscent of Roald Dahl (remember James and the Giant Peach and his horrid spinster aunts), Charles Dickens (the orphaned Pip in Great Expectations without the mysterious benefactor), and Edward Gorey (The Gashlycrumb Tinies). There is no question that young readers will want to read the continuing unlucky adventures of the Baudelaire children in The Reptile Room and The Wide Window. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:44 -0400)

10 yrs+

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,186,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible