The Calling by Kathryn Meyer Griffith

Egypt, time travel, ghosts, and mystery…sounds like a winner to me. And I love Kathryn Meyer Griffith’s ability to tell a story that draws me in, keeping me lost in the story she tells. She infuses her stories with the music she loves so much and I think it adds a special touch of realism.

Nefertiti watched as everything she loved fell.

Faye, her hubby, Nick, the bar, her band and her friends…she is happy.

As Faye cleans the bar, bathed in sweat, SHE came to her…again.

Faye knew she shared her body with a ghost, she felt the Egyptian link. She has even seen a glimpse of her in the mirror. Who is she? Why is she haunting her? What does she want?

Everything changed when the thug walked into the bar.

She is Ankhesenaton, a queen of Egypt. She wants justice. She came to Faye, when Faye died…and Faye came back…different.

“It’s going to be quite an adventure isn’t it?” Nick states the obvious. Gotta love the guy and I know I’m ready to be whisked away to Egypt and the mystery they must solve. They talk about the information and history discovered in the Egyptian’s garbage and it makes me wonder what ours will tell in the future.

Good magic and bad magic both want her.

In Egypt, in the desert, they are open to danger from bedouins, hallucinations, and bad magic. The danger and suspense mount.

Kathryn Meyer Griffith’s writing brings to life the sandstorm, the haunts. I can picture blowing sands, almost feel the stinging grit, getting in every exposed nook and cranny, can almost feel the dead reaching out trying to halt their progress.

I love myths and legends of Nefertiti and Egyptian lore. I can almost see the palace falling, and the senseless slaughter of the people. Echoes of the past filter into the present and it’s shock and awe for Nick. I love that he gets a taste of his wife’s visions.

Kathryn’s writing makes for easy reading and stepping into the characters shoes, whether they are being ravaged in an Egyptian sandstorm or chilling on a snowy Montana night. The danger makes for suspenseful reading and, even though I know everything will be all right, at least I think it will, I am still worried, fretting, trying to get Faye’s attention so I can help her

Can’t get much more involved than that. LOL

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Calling by Kathryn Meyer Griffith ( )
  sherry69 | Aug 24, 2017 |
Reviewed by Robin
Review copy provided by Kathryn Meyer Griffith
I thought that this might be an interesting story because of the ghost theme. I guess I didn’t read that much of the blurb because I soon found it to be very Egyptian themed. I am not a fan of anything that has to do with Egypt but, I decided what the heck and gave The Calling a try.

Haunted by a 3,000 year old Egyptian princess, Faye Summer finds that her dreams are starting to become more real as others are able to now see and smell what she was only able to for the longest time. She is seeing the young Egyptian princess and smells flowers and citrus when she is around.

The young princess turns out to be one of Nefertiti’s daughters and needs the help of Faye to find out why they were murdered so that their souls can finally find peace.

After a few unfortunate events; Faye almost dying from someone robbing the bar, leaving her in a comma for four weeks; to flying spirits in the bar that the customers could actually see.
Now Faye feels strongly about them going to Egypt to find out what actually happened to Nefertiti and her daughter’s all those years ago.

Faye’s husband Nick has given much strength and support to her over the years what with her seeing the spirits and everything else. But, going to Egypt when they are having trouble here at home just isn’t his idea of fun.

But to support his wife off they head to put things to rest. They run into some people that help them along the way that actually have the same goal in mind.

There are many twists and turns along the way. A trip of a lifetime for Faye almost ends in another near death experience.

Faye and Nick stay strong and weather all the mishaps that happen along the way. There are some strange occurrences and some nice surprises.

All in all it was a pleasant story. This story holds elements of suspense, romance and the paranormal and even some added bonuses thrown in to add to the pleasant surprise. Ms. Griffith did a really nice job of researching Egypt, Nefertiti and all that went on during that tragic time. While Faye and Nick were in Egypt they even went on a trip to the pyramids which added in bringing the characters to life. She also made it believable that something like this could actually take place in this day and age.

An enjoyable story for anyone who has a passion for Egypt. ( )
  RtB | Nov 20, 2011 |

Kathryn Meyer Griffith is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,476,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible