Book of Dragons by Edith Nesbit

Book of Dragons (original 1900; edition 1997)

by Edith Nesbit

Member:carlym
Title:Book of Dragons
Authors:Edith Nesbit
Info:Troll Communications (1997), Edition: 3rd THUS, Paperback
Tags:fiction, YA, mythology, dragons

The Book of Dragons by E. Nesbit (1900)

Recently added byprivate library, LanvalsMaiden, eyelevelbooks, stansteiner, MuzLibrary, daemonkity, jljaina, vivirielle
Legacy LibrariesC. S. Lewis

Probably not for the very youngest children. One of Nesbit's very best works, and one of my favorites. The sly and ironic attitude helps it hold up well over the generations. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
See other copy for review ( )
  antiquary | Mar 5, 2014 |
A set of short stories having nothing in common except that they are about dragons. Some are rather minor Nesbit, but Nesbit is always worth reading. A line that stuck in my mind as a child was "Fair play is a jewel" --the idea that being fair even to enemies is just. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 30, 2013 |
Nesbit's tone is often preachy, and the narrative voice is a little patronising and didactic, but if you can ignore that, I think these stories are delightful. I liked Prince Tiresome's pack of hippos, and also, perhaps especially, all the reversals in the land of Rotundia: the buns growing on trees, the tiny elephants... Fido the tiny elephant is completely adorable.

Lovely, and bitesize. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
N'awwww! This is totally adorable, with enough variety that the preciousness never got too cloying. I love the way the narrator speaks directly to the reader, which is a nineteenth-century touch that I miss in more contemporary stuff (and no, I do not love it because of "Reader, I married him."). It comes close to the edge of twee a few times, and probably crosses over at least once -- it took me months to read this, not because of any intrinsic quality of the book but because it was never urgent for me to read the next story. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 1, 2013 |

E. Nesbitprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blegvad, ErikIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Millar, H. R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He happened to be building a palace when the news came, and he left all the bricks kicking about the floor for Nurse to clear up - but then the news was rather remarkable news.
This contains eight dragon tales (originally published in 1899-1900). They include: "The Book of Beasts","Uncle James, or the Purple Stranger", "The Deliverers of Their Country","The Ice Dragon, or Do as You are Told", "The Island Of the Nine Whirlpools", "The Dragon Tamers","The Fiery Dragon, or the Heart of Stone and the Heart of Gold", "Kind Little Edmund, or the Caves and the Cockatrice". A later collection called The Complete Book of Dragons (1972) contains an extra story.

A classic collection of dragon tales by author Edith Nesbit.

Excerpt:
"Sire, your great-great-great-great-great-grandfather's death happened when my grandfather was a little boy," said the Prime Minister, "and since then your loyal people have been saving up to buy you a crown--so much a week, you know, according to people's means--sixpence a week from those who have first-rate pocket money, down to a halfpenny a week from those who haven't so much. You know it's the rule that the crown must be paid for by the people."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:54 -0400)

Presents eight tales about dragons, both dangerous and friendly, in a variety of times, places, and situations, including magical kingdoms and the exploits of daring heroes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,873,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible