Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova

Labyrinth Lost

by Zoraida Córdova

This book! Oh, wow did I love it. I've never read anything with this kind of mythology before and I was easily swept up into the world and was fascinated by everything I was seeing. I also really loved the characters and Alex's family.

Though, I will admit, the plot did drag a little bit in places. Also, without giving anything away, there was an aspect of the ending that seemed a little too convenient.

Overall though, it was a very enjoyable read and I definitely recommend it. ( )
  acciohaley | Mar 11, 2019 |
Labyrinth Lost has a lot of great potential. A cute, creative story - all with magic, adventure and a variety of characters!
It just missed the mark for me. The journey has too many coincidences and illogical problems. Instead of any character development, Alex and her friends just ran from one crazy event to another. Out of the frying pan and into the fire is a good cliche to use to describe their adventure. I love fantasy, with its imaginative creatures and obstacles; but it still needs to be believable that certain events would happen in this new world.
The story line of the characters felt forced, and even with a Alex’s trait twist at the end, I just couldn’t care.
The world building itself had a great start, but I needed more of it. The descriptions were stated in a way that it should be obvious, with no real backstory. This technique can be very beneficial in some books, yet just fell flat here.
Overall, it was just the characters and narrative jumping all over the place. I wanted...no, needed...more development and depth throughout.
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  JPetersonReads | Dec 23, 2018 |

Holy cow, y’all, this book is incredible.

I had the amazing blessing to meet Zoraida, the other night, and she said her vision was to have a Charmed style story with latina brujas. And, it is that but it is so much more.

Alejandra grew up in a cluster of powerful, female brujas (witches in Spanish but her family is quick to remind her of the differences between the two) and wants very little to do with the family business. Stuck between her perfect older sister, Lula, and her clairvoyant little sister, Rose, Alex just wants a normal Brooklyn teenage life.

That wish is shattered when she tries to return her powers to the Deos and instead of her powers going missing, her family disappears. Whoops, big time.

She ends up on a trek into the underworld to bring back her family, mashing together Latinx folklore, family ties, heavy magic, and a whole lot of snark.

I grew up in a female-dominated family, with my mama and my little sister, my grandmother, and various aunts. Though ethnically different and, well, minus the magic part, that was a warm fuzzy thread that endeared this story to me from the very beginning.

The other piece I absolutely loved was the undertone of bisexuality during the journey. Y’all know by now that I love a good queer story and this one did not disappoint. It wasn’t as much in your face as some but it was a calm, cool stream, running throughout the entire story.

I highly recommend this to fans of the Rick Riordan set for its mythology and adventure. And anyone who loves love, magic, and an incredible story. ( )
  iwriteinbooks | Jun 21, 2018 |
“Death is the most sure but unexpected part about life. It’s almost up there with love. It’s bound to happen, but how and when - now that’s the tricky part.”
I wanted to love this so much more than I actually did, but overall I was just completely bored reading about 80% of this. While I absolutely loved the worldbuilding, seeing the bruja culture, and the completely whimsy of Los Lagos I didn’t like much else. I didn’t connect with any of the characters, and found the relationships to be completely underdeveloped. Even though Alex’s family is her drive for much of the story, I didn’t see enough of the relationships established in the beginning to care. And while I liked that we get a Bi Latina MC in Alex, the romances didn’t grab me and felt a little insta-lovely on all sides of the triangle. This was an unfortunate miss for me, but I think a lot of other people will like it so you could still give it a shot!

I received a copy of the book from Sourcebooks Fire via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
Labyrinth Lost takes us from Brooklyn to another realm, through the eyes of Alejandra. Alex is a 17-year-old bruja (Spanish for witch) just coming into her magical power. But she's pretty sure she doesn't want to be a bruja.

Alex says, "But we aren’t like normal families. Our monsters are real. Sometimes we are the monsters." Her efforts to reject the magical power backfire and off we go on the wild ride!

Joining her on this ride is Nova, who at 17 acts like he understands everything about being a brujo. But like Alex's Aunt Rosario says, it's best to look at everything twice. Things are certainly not as they seem - not in Brooklyn and not on the trip to Los Lagos.

Labyrinth Lost is definitely a YA book, although some of the blurbs I saw for it made it sound otherwise. The writing is straightforward and even somewhat simplistic. Descriptions are written in terms like "the sky was violet," rather than using more evocative language.

The relationships have some fun moments. Alex has two sisters, who all give each other a hard time. Alex also has a much-loved best friend named Rishi, who figures larger in the story as it goes along. Nova and Alex together are alternately typical teens and just annoying with their constant bickering.

The main villain could definitely have been scarier, and more original. The descriptions reminded me of an ongoing villain in another fantasy series, but maybe that's just me.

The diversity of bruja culture is a nice change from the Celtic and Western European traditions that populated places like Salem, MA. These characters are Caribbean and Central American, more recently Brooklyn. I also liked the diversity of love relationships within the story.

I liked the coming of age aspects of the story. The world building in both realms was solid. And I liked all of the main characters as well. But all in all, this isn't a series I'll continue with mainly because I just don't enjoy YA fantasy. Fantasy, yes but not YA fantasy.

Thanks to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
For Adriana and Ginelle Medina, my favorite brujitas.
The second time I saw my dead aunt Rosaria, she was dancing.
Nothing says “happy birthday” like summoning the spirits of your dead relatives.

"Alex is a bruja and the most powerful witch in her family. But she's hated magic ever since it made her father disappear into thin air. When a curse she performs to rid herself of magic backfires and her family vanishes, she must travel to Los Lagos, a land in-between as dark as Limbo and as strange as Wonderland, to get her family back"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,751,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible