The Diamond Throne by David Eddings

The Diamond Throne (original 1989; edition 1990)

by David Eddings, Leigh Eddings

Member:2seven
Title:The Diamond Throne
Authors:David Eddings
Other authors:Leigh Eddings
Info:Del Rey (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:2013, Your library
Tags:kindle, 2013, fantasy, MeFA

The Diamond Throne by David Eddings (1989)

English (19)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (21)
I've had David Eddings' three-book series The Elenium on my bookshelf since about 1995, and for one reason or another have never gotten around to reading it. So when I was putting together a list of books for my 2017 Reading Challenges, I decided it was time to finally knock it off my To Be Read list. The series is comprised of The Diamond Throne (1989), The Ruby Knight (1991), and The Sapphire Rose (1992).

After finishing The Diamond Throne, I’m a bit disappointed. Not that it was bad, but it wasn’t as much fun or adventurous as any of the books in his Belgariad series. Where The Belgariad had colorful characters who grew as the story went along, The Elenium so far has been rather bland by comparison. The characters are interesting enough, but they come fully grown and in no need of development.

The plot is fairly straightforward but it meanders quite a bit. Queen Ehlana has been stricken with some kind of mysterious malady, and in order to keep her alive, twelve knights use their magic to encase her in a protective cube of crystal while a cure is found. The crystal will only preserve her while those who created it live, but sustaining it takes its toll, and time becomes precious. Sparhawk, the Queen’s Champion, needs to find out how to save her before the crystal deteriorates and before her kingdom is taken over by the evil Annias. As the story develops it becomes clear that there is more at stake than the fate of this one queen and her kingdom.

While the first book didn’t wow me, it did move along well and set up the next book nicely. I have hope that the series will get more interesting as it develops, since I know what Eddings is capable of. ( )
  nsenger | Feb 21, 2017 |
After completing the Malloreon, David Eddings decided to create a new fantasy setting, with a new cast of characters, and write a new fantasy series with the exact same plot we've already seen twice before.
The writing is still bland, the plot is still hackneyed, and now, the characters are no longer particularly charming, although they all neatly correspond to characters from the Belgariad and Malloreon. Avoid. ( )
  nurfherder | Jan 15, 2017 |
good as ever ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Fun and immersive. Had to skip over paragraphs and pages of kind of overblown description sometimes. ( )
  irrhapsodi | Jan 3, 2016 |
An okay start to an okay series. I didn't like it as much as the Belgariad. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |

Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Ghwerig and the Bhelliom, -- From the Legends of the Troll-Gods
For Eleanor and for Ralph, For courage and for faith. Trust me.
It was raining.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345367693, Mass Market Paperback)

Sparhawk, Pandion Knight, and Queen's Champion have returned to Elenia after ten years of exile, only to find young Queen Ehlanda trapped in a block of ensorcelled crystal. As Sparhawk sets out to find a cure for Ehlana, he discovers that only he can defeat the evil plots that threaten her rule....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:43 -0400)

Sparhawk, companion to the queen, comes home to find his queen stricken with a fatal disease and a corrupt Primate controlling the country.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible