Elusive Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman

Elusive Mrs. Pollifax (original 1971; edition 1987)

by Dorothy Gilman

Mrs. Pollifax has a beautiful new hat. It conceals Mrs. P.'s remarkable brain and eight false passports. All Mrs. Pollifax has to do is smuggle them into Bulgaria.
Member:benfulton
Title:Elusive Mrs. Pollifax
Authors:Dorothy Gilman
Info:Fawcett (1987), Edition: 23rd THUS, Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:**1/2

The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (1971)

Recently added byprivate library, GanneC, grandpahobo, Deelightful, Edrys
Legacy LibrariesEdward St. John Gorey

Mrs. Pollifax is heading behind the Iron Curtain—specifically to Bulgaria, where she’ll meet up with members of the underground and deliver fake passports that will help them get out of the country. It should be a simple courier job, but soon Mrs. P becomes embroiled in a delicate matter that involves the secret police. Here’s hoping she’ll get out of this one alive.

This is one of the early books in the series, so the concept is still fresh. It’s one of the few that escaped my attention when I was reading the series originally (about 20 years ago), so I was reading it for the first time here. I found it surprisingly tense and action-packed. I can’t speak to how accurately Bulgaria of the early 1970s is portrayed here, although I did find some of the Bulgarian accents drifted into what I call “Boris-and-Natasha” territory—a cod Eastern European accent that sounds like “Moose and skvirrel”.

I enjoyed reading this and will probably keep it, but I don’t know if I’ll re-read it as much as I do some of the other books in the series. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jul 14, 2019 |
Charming diversion for beach and swimming pool reading. The heroine is an elderly widow whose interest resides in her garden club and whose income is augmented by her service to her country as a spy for the CIA sometime in the late 20th C.

In this novel, Mrs. Pollifax's mission is to get behind the Iron Curtain and deliver a number of passports to individuals the CIA wants to get out of Bulgaria. In spite of her handler's best efforts, that Mr. Carstairs' gave Mrs. Pollifax not to get involved in anything beyond being a messenger, her sociable nature overrides Carstairs' authority once she's in the field. Trouble and danger ensue.

Of course the premise in this novel (and the series of 13 other Pollifax adventures) is unbelievable and the series formulaic, which may cause potential readers to shy away from reading. However, charm, mild wit, and the sheer nosey bravado of the heroine could be qualities that, like the heroine herself, override one's reluctance to engage with one of America's most valuable "assets" of the Cold War era.

Thanks to Mrs. Pollifax and her creator, author Dorothy Gilman, readers live in a world safe from external enemies and happily ever after. ( )
  Limelite | Jul 9, 2019 |
This was better than the previous Mrs. Pollifax book I read. It's a bit weird to be reading about cold-war issues some 30 years later, but still interesting. A good, if implausible, yarn. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Another delight by Dorothy Gilman. Mrs. Pollifax makes me laugh. She's wonderful. This time she befriends a young man at the airport on her way to Bulgaria, which has lasting consequences for them both. I loved all the Underground figures and Debby, too. Of course, she almost gives Mr. Carstairs and Bishop a heart attack, but that's to be expected. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Jun 3, 2018 |
Delightful, I love the slight sense of the ridiculous that some of the dialogue is delivered with. It is remarkable to me that a novel written nearly 50 years ago is a mirror reflection of today’s current political events, only today three Americans were released from North Korea following being arrested for espionage – similar to the arrest of the character Philip Trenda. ( )
  Bettesbooks | May 9, 2018 |
Mrs. Emily Pollifax is probably the only lovable C.I.A. agent around and here, once again, she's in as full glory as her night-blooming cereus. On a simple courier assignment to deliver eight forged passports to a mysterious underground in communist Bulgaria, she ends up putting a dictatorial general in prison, corrupting the agency's last Bulgarian contact, and even storming the equivalent of a Bulgarian bastille to rescue a supposedly dead American. Oh, the entertaining Mrs. Pollifax.
added by VivienneR | editKirkus Reviews

Dorothy Gilmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brallion-Zeude, GenevièveTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Friedmann, GretlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slagt-Prins, M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vestergaard, KarenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
柳沢由実子Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A small group of friends had assembled in Mrs. Pollifax's living room on this warm July evening.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,796,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible