Spider-Woman: Origin by Brian Michael Bendis

Spider-Woman: Origin

by Brian Michael Bendis

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All (6)
I’ve loved what I’ve seen of Jess in Captain Marvel, but this is a long way from that cheerful character. This is Jessica’s dark past, her birth and her training as a member of Hydra. We see a couple of flashes of her later humour — when told her costume doesn’t count as a uniform, she retorts that she’ll just go and break that to Captain America — but mostly this feels a bit flat, despite the emotional content. It just goes too fast: one minute she’s a seven year old in an adult body, the next she’s an adult who’s willing to sleep with her enemy to get what she needs, using her body consciously and purposefully.

The art is okay, but nothing special — people kept talking about the Luna brothers when I was looking up this comic and raving about them, but the art here felt kinda flat here, too.

Still, it’s good to have more backstory on Jessica Drew. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Mar 7, 2014 |
Not knowing anything about previous Spider Woman origin stories, this one worked for me. Ok, certain parts were a little odd and the culmination is kind of ridiculous, but I didn't find anything hugely objectionable. I might change my mind after reading more of the Spider Woman series, but for now, not bad. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I must admit, there were only two reasons that I picked up this book: 1) it was cheap, and 2) it had a Taskmaster appearance. I was really impressed with what I ended up reading, though. The art was really nice, and the story wasn't bad either.

My only complaint is how Taskmaster was handled, but that's an on-going thing and not just in relation to this one arc. For being supposedly nearly impossible to beat, it seems that he's whipped by everyone. This was no exception. ( )
  schatzi | Sep 13, 2009 |
Decent re-telling; Reed & Bendis take a ridiculously complicated back story and do a good job of streamlining it, and the art by the Luna Bros is gorgeous as ever. It's not a flawless tale - there's the sense that even after revising, there might just be too many elements for a truly cohesive story - but if you're a longtime fan of the character, or have just started reading about her in the pages of NEW AVENGERS, you might find it an enjoyable read. ( )
  duck2ducks | Sep 4, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785119663, Paperback)

This all-new epic chronicles the intriguing secret history of Jessica Drew and her journey from child experiment to Hydra agent to S.H.I.E.L.D. agent to super hero to private eye to Avenger! Written by New Avengers scribe Brian Michael Bendis and searing-hot newcomer Brian Reed (Ms. Marvel), and featuring stunning full-color visuals by the Luna brothers (Ultra, Girls), this story is packed with intrigue leading directly into the upcoming Spider-Woman series from Bendis and Eisner Award-winning artist Alex Maleev (Daredevil). Collects Spider-Woman: Origin #1-5.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

This all-new epic chronicles the intriguing secret history of Jessica Drew and her journey from child experiment to Hydra agent to S.H.I.E.L.D. agent to super-hero to private eye to Avenger! Written by New Avengers scribe Brian Michael Bendis and searing-hot newcomer Brian Reed (Ultimate Spider-Man video game), and featuring stunning full-color visuals by the Luna brothers (Ultra, Girls), this story is packed with intrigue.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,375,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible