The Underground Railroad (Pulitzer Prize…

The Underground Railroad (Pulitzer Prize Winner) (National Book Award… (edition 2016)

by Colson Whitehead (Author)

Member:jchen147
Title:The Underground Railroad (Pulitzer Prize Winner) (National Book Award Winner) (Oprah's Book Club): A Novel
Authors:Colson Whitehead (Author)
Info:Doubleday (2016), Edition: 1st Edition, 320 pages
Collections:2017 Book Log, Currently reading

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

English (121)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  All (124)
I found this book to be a very compelling story of a woman called Cora who grows up as a slave on a cotton plantation in Georgia and manages to escape the slave catcher on two occasions. This is a story of the brutality, hopelessness, and drudgery of the African slaves but it is also one of hope for those who manage to escape through the Underground Railroad system.
The author describes the Railroad as a real tunnelled system through the ground, operated by station agents and conductors. I am assuming that this is a metaphor for the actual system.
There are very few nice white people in this story other than a few abolitionists who risk their lives to hide and assist people like Cora. The cruelty exhibited by the plantation owners, overseers and slave catchers is gut wrenching as they see their slaves as chattel rather than human. The philosophy of manifest destiny is embodied in Ridgeway the slave catcher who views it the right of white Americans to exploit the indigenous peoples, slaves and the environment for their purposes, as per Gods will.
Well written, very readable. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Jun 27, 2017 |
Strong imagery and a deep emotional exploration of a young woman seeking freedom come together in this gut-wrenching story. The prose is lush and deeply immersive. ( )
  RossWhippo | Jun 26, 2017 |

I found it fascinating - a combination of 19th-century slavery narratives (of which I have read a few) with steampunk; the "underground railroad" of the title is a literal subterranean rail transport system which the protagonists use to try and keep a step ahead of the vindictive slave-catcher Ridgeway. I am surprised I haven't read more about this in my usual sources. ( )
  nwhyte | Jun 25, 2017 |
[The Underground Railroad] begins as a fairly commonplace slavery tale, of Africans kidnapped, dragged in chains to a seaport, forced onto a ship, transported across the Atlantic, and sold into slavery. The slaves are worked long hours in harsh conditions and routinely abused. All the typical slave thinks about is escape. In this telling, Ajarry is snatched from Africa, ending up on a Georgia plantation. She has a daughter, Mabel, who screws up her courage and simply runs away, leaving behind her own daughter, Cora. On her own, a runaway, Mabel vanishes.

A decade later, perhaps, Cora agrees to accompany a slave new to the plantation, Caesar, in escaping. She's become an outcast from the other slaves, as well as a special target of the psychopathic plantation owner and his foreman. She hates her mother for abandoning her, yet she opts at last to follow her. Caesar has an open-ended ticket on the underground railroad. And here the story departs from the commonplace.

In this story, the underground railroad is not a network of sympathetic, brave souls who lead escapees through woodlands and open fields, skirting settlements, hiding them in attics or basements, along the road to the North and freedom. Here Whitehead adopts a steampunk motif; his underground railroad is an actual subway: miles and miles and miles of a single track extending more or less northward, bedded in a dark tunnel. Stationmasters guide runaways through concealed trapdoors into subterranean stations, where a dilapidated locomotive, towing a single freight car, stops for them. The routes aren't interconnected; most tunnels are isolated from each other, so a fugitive rides out of sight to wherever the tunnel leads.

Having thus departed from the literal world of 1850 (or thereabouts), Whitehead found himself free to introduce alternate takes on southern societies. In his imagining, several states adopt different ways of coping with the fact that blacks vastly outnumber whites (and a black uprising is a bedrock fear). That first rail trip takes Cora and Caesar to South Carolina, where they are welcomed and given shelter, meals, health care, training, and work in state-run facilities. There's a dark side to this arrangement, which puts Cora on the run once again.

[The Underground Railroad] is well-constructed, obviously imaginative, with parallels in contemporary America. The novel won both the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for fiction and the National Book Award. I give it both upraised thumbs.
1 vote weird_O | Jun 19, 2017 |
Wow!

This is an exceptionally fine novel.

It hooked me from the start. It’s a beautifully and brilliantly crafted and engrossing story. It’s a great story.

I thought that I knew a fair amount about The Underground Railroad and slavery in the U.S., but I learned so much. As I read and now that I’m finished I felt and feel inspired to do more research and read more books, especially non-fiction books.

If all I’d known about humans in history hadn’t already left me depressed and despairing, and angry, this story contributed to feeling those things. I’d already been particularly despondent and ashamed of the U.S. these last over 7 months, and for 50 years of knowledge also felt appalled about how this country was built on the genocide of the Native Peoples and of slave labor. The details of slavery have been a too gradual horrific awakening for me, with this book adding more almost unendurable and excruciatingly detailed information about what people experienced. Horrific. Brutal. Powerfully told. This book was an eye-opener for me. Even though there are many “good people” in this book it didn’t leave me feeling that optimistic in general about humanity.

I did feel wiped out at times and this book was not the most ideal bedtime reading, but it’s a page-turner and I found it difficult to put down more often than not. I did have a few nightmares due to reading this book.

Despite all the above, I loved the book anyway. It was on my to read list and one I really wanted to read, so I’m grateful to a book club member for suggesting it, and it’s my book club’s July book. I’m so grateful to have read it.

The storytelling is superb. I noticed at some point to not rely on the chapter titles to predict what would happen in those chapters. I understood why Cora felt about Mabel as she did and completely understood her opinions about slave owners and slave hunters. Cora’s feelings and actions all the way through made sense to me, even though at times I was screaming for her to make different choices. The “N word” is used but even more distressing than that is when the slave hunter uses the word “it” instead of she or he. I did guess the mystery surrounding Mabel, though not the specific details. People as property was shown so vividly, and there aren’t adequate words to describe the wrongness of that. I loved the entire story arc. There is a lot of suspense throughout. Thankfully, there is some humor and many parts showing the better side of human nature. By the end I was happy to learn additional facts about some of the central characters, and I felt fine with what is left open to the readers’ imaginations about what will happen in the future for one particular character.

5 full stars! ( )
  Lisa2013 | Jun 14, 2017 |
In a sense, “The Underground Railroad” is Whitehead’s own attempt at getting things right, not by telling us what we already know but by vindicating the powers of fiction to interpret the world. In its exploration of the foundational sins of America, it is a brave and necessary book.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,158,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible