The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

The Woman in Cabin 10

by Ruth Ware

2,4541933,774 (3.49)121

English (189)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (192)
I thought this was a pretty good read, although the ending could have been fleshed out a lot more so that we would know specifically what happened to all of the characters and not just Laura Blacklock. Another book that would probably make a good movie. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Feb 23, 2019 |
I didn't like this well enough to finish it. (I'll never know the answers to the mystery.) Perhaps it was my mood.
  cmt100 | Feb 19, 2019 |
This book took quite a while to get into. At first I must say I didn't like the main character but by the end of the book this changed. It's a book with some twists and surprises, it reminded me a little of Murder on the Orient Express but on a boat and with a different outcome. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
Liked the book more than I thought I would at the beginning. Interesting writing style which enhanced the suspense and aided in the misdirection and intrigue. ( )
  sgilbraith | Feb 8, 2019 |
I am really confused about the rating for this book. I think I settled on a 3.5 stars. One thing was that all the reviews I had read had me thinking great things and then it was not great. It is a good read, but not a great one.

Laura, Lo, Blacklock works as a writer for a travel magazine. When her boss ends up under the weather due to pregnancy, Lo is given the opportunity to go on a cruise for a a new luxury ship, the Aurora Borealis, and write an article for the magazine. Sounds wonderful. From the beginning, Lo has one rotten experience after another. The night before she is to leave, her apartment is broken into with her in it. Getting no sleep, being hungover and suffering PTSD, her cruise does not get off to a good start. Once again, drinking a bit too much the first night on board, she has a fitful sleep. Waking in the middle of the night, she hears a splash and when she runs out to her balcony, she is sure she sees a body sinking under the water. Sure it is the woman in the cabin next door, she calls security. When the chief of security listens to her story, he takes her to Cabin 10, which they find clean and empty. Lo is confused as she had knocked in the door earlier in the evening and met her neighbour. No one believes what she is sure she saw, so forgetting about the reason she is on the ship, she begins to ask questions and snoop around. Trouble has no trouble finding Lo.

I do not want to give away anymore of the plot, but suffice it to say, Lo is going to have more than her share of difficulties on this cruise. The suspense builds quite nicely, then quickly switches gears and comes to a quick end. Lo realizes that she needs to be strong and fight for herself because no one else is around to help her. The secondary characters are not really fleshed out, but that is okay as they are only supporting characters. A book that will hook you, if only to find our what happens to Lo. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
added by tileder | editsadsad, sadsadsad

Ware, Ruthprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Church, ImogenReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stubhaug, HildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eleanor, with love.
In my dream, the girl was drifting, far, far below the crashing waves and the cries of the gulls in the cold, sunless depths of the North Sea.

"From New York Times bestselling author of the "twisty-mystery" (Vulture) novel In a Dark, Dark Wood, comes The Woman in Cabin 10, an equally suspenseful and haunting novel from Ruth Ware--this time, set at sea. In this tightly wound, enthralling story reminiscent of Agatha Christie's works, Lo Blacklock, a journalist who writes for a travel magazine, has just been given the assignment of a lifetime: a week on a luxury cruise with only a handful of cabins. The sky is clear, the waters calm, and the veneered, select guests jovial as the exclusive cruise ship, the Aurora, begins her voyage in the picturesque North Sea. At first, Lo's stay is nothing but pleasant: the cabins are plush, the dinner parties are sparkling, and the guests are elegant. But as the week wears on, frigid winds whip the deck, gray skies fall, and Lo witnesses what she can only describe as a dark and terrifying nightmare: a woman being thrown overboard. The problem? All passengers remain accounted for--and so, the ship sails on as if nothing has happened, despite Lo's desperate attempts to convey that something (or someone) has gone terribly, terribly wrong… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,510,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible