The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

The Woman in Cabin 10 (edition 2017)

by Ruth Ware (Author)

2,5822053,570 (3.47)128
Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Woman in Cabin 10
Authors:Ruth Ware (Author)
Info:Gallery/Scout Press (2017), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

English (201)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (204)
A British travel reporter takes a last-minute job to write a piece on a very fancy cruise, but before she leaves she has a frightening burglary in her home. Unfortunately this is only the first in a string of bad luck.
This book is excellent, and it kept me guessing, I really enjoyed the setting and the mix of European culture and settings (as a cruise going up north to the fjords and such). An interesting group of passengers, although we don't get a lot of time with any of them, that is part of what keeps you guessing. ( )
  Pepperwings | Aug 6, 2019 |
After reading the reviews my expectations were high for The Woman in Cabin 10. It was okay. The twists weren't that grand and the ending was too much of a surprise. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
A little slow in spots, but overall I enjoyed it. ( )
  gma2lana | Jun 19, 2019 |
Didn't love it, but it was fine. This is the one with the woman on the small cruise ship, with the mystery woman in Cabin 10. ( )
  suedutton | Jun 17, 2019 |
I was super excited to read this. I am fascinated with cruise ships and I love mysteries, so it sounded perfect! The story concerns Lo Blacklock, a journalist for a travel magazine. She is given the job of attending the inaugural voyage of a luxury cruise ship, the Aurora. The ship only has 10 cabins, so it will be a small intimate voyage. Lo is given cabin number 9.

On the first evening on the ship, after a night of heavy drinking at the welcome party, Lo hears something thrown overboard from cabin 10 and becomes convinced it was a body. As she rushed to report it, she is told that cabin 10 is empty and has been so the whole time. Lo is sure of what she saw, but every one else begins to suspect it was her imagination. She sets out to solve the mystery.

I felt a similarity between this and The Girl on the Train. Both feature characters that have a drinking problem. Both have "unreliable" narrators. Why the authors feel the need to give the women so many problems I don't understand. The book would have been just as gripping if she didn't have a drinking problem.

Lo has a wonderful, kind, supportive boyfriend waiting for her back home. So of course, there is the obligatory "problem" with him. He wants to marry Lo, and she is not sure if she is ready for commitment. She picks a big fight with him right before she leaves for the cruise.

The mystery itself is interesting. Once it is solved, I thought it was obvious, but I didn't guess it beforehand so that is good. The ending felt a little bit unbelievable, but it was a satisfying ending. I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
added by tileder | editsadsad, sadsadsad

Ware, Ruthprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Church, ImogenReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stubhaug, HildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eleanor, with love.
In my dream, the girl was drifting, far, far below the crashing waves and the cries of the gulls in the cold, sunless depths of the North Sea.

INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES AND USA TODAY BESTSELLER FROM THE AUTHOR OF IN A DARK, DARK WOOD Featured in TheSkimm An Entertainment Weekly "Summer Must List" Pick A New York Post "Summer Must-Read" Pick Included in Summer Book Guides from Bustle, Oprah.com, PureWow, and USA TODAY From New York Times bestselling author of the "twisty-mystery" (Vulture ) novel In a Dark, Dark Wood , comes The Woman in Cabin 10 , an equally suspenseful and haunting novel from Ruth Ware-this time, set at sea. In this tightly wound, enthralling story reminiscent of Agatha Christie's works, Lo Blacklock, a journalist who writes for a travel magazine, has just been given the assignment of a lifetime: a week on a luxury cruise with only a handful of cabins. The sky is clear, the waters calm, and the veneered, select guests jovial as the exclusive cruise ship, the Aurora, begins her voyage in the picturesque North Sea. At first, Lo's stay is nothing but pleasant: the cabins are plush, the dinner parties are sparkling, and the guests are elegant. But as the week wears on, frigid winds whip the deck, gray skies fall, and Lo witnesses what she can only describe as a dark and terrifying nightmare: a woman being thrown overboard. The problem? All passengers remain accounted for-and so, the ship sails on as if nothing has happened, despite Lo's desperate attempts to convey that something (or someone) has gone terribly, terribly wrong With surprising twists, spine-tingling turns, and a setting that proves as uncomfortably claustrophobic as it is eerily beautiful, Ruth Ware offers up another taut and intense read in The Woman in Cabin 10 -one that will leave even the most sure-footed reader restlessly uneasy long after the last page is turned.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,315,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible