Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert A.…

Have Spacesuit, Will Travel (edition 2005)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Member:Merseia
Title:Have Spacesuit, Will Travel
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Gallery (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein

Recently added bymnemeth01, UsmanFarooq, Powerschnute, jd313, private library, Gezemice, DougBaker, moose_irl
    Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: Both are decent YA SF novels. I can remember reading and enjoying them both at about the same age, despite the significant difference in when they were written.

This was very meh. I enjoyed the beginning, the space suit, a bit of humor, the Mother Thing, and PeeWee. But overall the plot consisted of clichés (kid is abducted by aliens in a flying saucer. Aliens want to invade Earth to eat the people. Later on kid saves the world.), random travels - mostly dull - to places Heinlein wants to describe, arduous journeys, and one very long math calculation, that he repeats... I wonder how this constituted the height of sci-fi in 1958. It has its moments, but you can skip this for something better. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
I may have liked this book if I read it when I was 12...no, make that 10. This was a struggle to finish...but I'm stubbornly slogging my way through Heinlein this year and I stubbornly waded through this.

Strange love some folks have for his math lessons. And I won't spoil anything, but the scene near the end is some of the dumbest stuff he wrote in the previous 13 novels of his I read. Next up, Starship Troopers...and then on to what Wiki calls his "Middle novels". ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
One of the best ever juvenile sci-fi books ever written! ( )
  blmyers | May 15, 2017 |
I first read this book at the suggestion of a librarian in grade school. It was great then and when I recently took it for another spin it did not disappoint. It got me started on a lifelong love for SF and reading. Thank you librarians! ( )
  rbanks1 | Dec 18, 2016 |
Adolescents save the world with American gumption and can-do attitudes. Not my favourite Heinlein. ( )
  brakketh | Jul 29, 2016 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turetsky, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1958 (F&SF AugSepOct)
For Harry and Barbara Stine
You see, I had this space suit.
The Mother Thing was the Mother Thing because she was. Around her you felt happy and safe and warm. You knew that if you skinned your knee and came bawling into the house, she would kiss it well and paint it with Merthiolate and everything would be all right.

A high school senior wins a space suit in a soap jingle contest, takes a last walk wearing "Oscar" before cashing him in for college tuition, and suddenly finds himself on a space odyssey.
    ------------------------------------

Kip Russel's ambition was to go to the moon, and his unexpected traveling companion, Peeewee Reisfeld, a terrifying ten-year-old genius whose penchant for getting into trouble is at least equal to her IQ. When the two team up with a fuzzy creature of vast capabilities, called simply Mother Thing, against some ghastly intruders dubbed Wormfaces, the reader is propelled into a yeasty - and often sobering - fantasy.
~ New York Times

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345324412, Mass Market Paperback)

One minute Kip Russell was walking about in his backyard, testing out an old space suit and dreaming about going to the Moon -- and the next he was out cold, the captive of an insidious space pirate. The whole thing seemed like a bad dream until Kip discovered there were other prisoners on board, and they were all on their way to the Moon -- and a fate worse than death!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:00 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,534,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible