The Night Stalker by Robert Bryndza

The Night Stalker

by Robert Bryndza

2 (1) 0716 (1) 2016 (1) abuse (1) contemporary mystery (1) cops (1) crime (5) crime fiction (1) detective (1) downloaded (1) ebook (5) England (1) English (1) Erika (1) female detective (1) fiction (3) four (1) goodreads import (2) Kindle (3) London (1) mystery (6) netgalley (2) own (1) R1 (1) read (2) second (1) series (3) thriller (2) to-read (11) UK (1)

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
The Night Stalker
4 Stars

An excellent follow-up to Bryndza's incredible debut, The Girl in the Ice.

In this installment, D.I. Foster pursues a serial killer who, at first glance, appears to be targeting random victims. However, as the bodies pile up and the clues emerge, it soon becomes clear that the motivation is all to personal.

While the identity of the killer and the reasons behind the murders are revealed quite early on, the police procedural elements make for captivating reading. Although some readers may be turned off by Erika's prickly personality and lone-wolf tendencies, her intelligence, resourcefulness and determination to uncover the truth despite opposition from the power that be make her a very appealing heroine.

One small nitpick is the METs eagerness to blame the pathologist despite clear evidence that something else is going on - a plot point that is obviously added to make the case more personal for Erika.

In sum, a well-written and suspenseful thriller. Looking forward to the next installment.

Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Great believable characters

Yes, Erika is damaged but she is real. The is written with a consistency that assures the reader they can enjoy the story without making mental leaps to overlook holes in the story or character traits that did not exist in the first chapters. These people can develop friendships, have problems, at work, and feel anguish over familial bonds left to wither.

The story line is intriguing and Robert Bryndza writes a story in the true sense. It makes sense and is complete. The evil doer is flawed but the story flows along taking the reader through the scenes without the story becoming maudlin or trite. Thematically Robert seems to be showing us that not every bad guy is all bad and that we, as humans, can understand the darker motives that can come unloosing and propel someone forward into a nightmare. The intelligent part of this theme is that, without hitting the reader over the head with this idea, there is always a choice, a point at which the individual chooses to let the inner turmoil take over and damn the results. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
I have just discovered this author. This is the second book I have read and I have downloaded the next in the series. I find I cannot guess the perpetrator in these books. Very enjoyable. ( )
  scot2 | Feb 8, 2018 |
I liked the first book, The Girl In The Ice, but I wonder if not this one, the sequel has a storyline that is a bit more thrilling than the previous book. I do love thrillers that have a ticking clock feeling over the story. When more killings occur and the pressure grows, and the press and public demand answers and the police are doing their best to catch the killer. Well, most of them, the problem is that some policemen in this book seem to be stuck in their thinking and prefer an easy solution, even if it is the wrong one. But, thankfully Detective Erika Foster isn't that kind of police, and she definitely won't quit on a friend when the person in question becomes a suspect.

The Night Stalker thrilled me, it's a faced-paced book that from the first page until the last kept me entertained. What's the motive for the killing, who is the killer and how many will have to die before the killer is stopped?

I do like this series very much, and I'm pleased to know that I have book three to read as soon as I have time for it. Detective Erika Foster has become a favorite character of mine, her personal loss, with her husband being killed before the events in the first book, has affected her much, and I would love to see her truly happy once more one day. It will be interesting to see how her decision at the end of this book will affect the next book in the series.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
The Night Stalker by Robert Bryndza
Erica Foster series Book #2
4 ★'s

If the Night Stalker is watching, you’re already dead… In the dead of a swelteringly hot summer’s night, Detective Erika Foster is called to a murder scene. The victim, a doctor, is found suffocated in bed. His wrists are bound and his eyes bulging through a clear plastic bag tied tight over his head. A few days later, another victim is found dead, in exactly the same circumstances. As Erika and her team start digging deeper, they discover a calculated serial killer – stalking their victims before choosing the right moment to strike. The victims are all single men, with very private lives. Why are their pasts shrouded in secrecy? And what links them to the killer? As a heat wave descends upon London, Erika will do everything to stop the Night Stalker before the body count rises, even if it means risking her job. But the victims might not be the only ones being watched… Erika’s own life could be on the line.

This is a series with characters that for the most part, show a great deal of promise of blossoming into one of the top detective series...IF...the author will consider toning down Erika Foster's disrespect for authority and heading out to carry out her own agenda in blatant defiance of protocol. She's not the only character that needs to be sat on...her supervisors...Oakley in particular...shows such hatred for Erika that it's starting to make the plots unbelievable.

In spite of the character attitude I have to say the book had a lot going for it in the "Must Read" department. It is indeed a real page turner that I didn't want to put down. Erika Foster's character and back story was intriguing enough that I wanted to find out more about her. The serial killer is intriguing as well...but I won't say too much about that. I believe one factor of a good author is the ability to make the reader experience a range of feelings. I diffidently found myself feeling very angry at the way Erika was treated by her bosses and some other police officers and pity at the life of the character known as "Duke". Overall, Mr. Bryndz I enjoyed your book and look forward to the next one. Just please, please make Erika a bit more likable. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 2, 2017 |
Als de moordenaar je in het vizier heeft ben je al zo goed als dood...
Het was een broeierige zomernacht, aan het eind van de maand juni.

In the dead of a swelteringly hot summer's night, Detective Erika Foster is called to a murder scene. The victim, a doctor, is found suffocated in bed. His wrists are bound and his eyes bulging through a clear plastic bag tied tight over his head. A few days later, another victim is found dead, in exactly the same circumstances. As Erika and her team start digging deeper, they discover a calculated serial killer -- stalking their victims before choosing the right moment to strike. The victims are all single men, with very private lives. Why are their pasts shrouded in secrecy? And what links them to the killer? As a heat wave descends upon London, Erika will do everything to stop the Night Stalker before the body count rises, even if it means risking her job. But the victims might not be the only ones being watched...… (more)

Robert Bryndza is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,108,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible