Max Found Two Sticks by Brian Pinkney

Max Found Two Sticks (1994)

by Brian Pinkney

This is one of the best books I have read so far this year! I love this, and it definitely deserves some acknowledgment. The first thing I want to mention about this amazing book is the cultural aspect. This is mostly done by the illustrations, and the colors. The blues, reds, and greens as well as the background images of the steps and the city represent living in a poor area, but it is also very bright, representing hope and happiness for what they have. Another thing about this book is that it’s repetitive; he plays drums on something different each time, but each time he never actually talks. Lastly, there are not many words. It leaves students to have an imagination. The ending is my favorite part, with the band. It’s such a good end to the story, and is inspirational, and allows students to dream about something like that happening to them! All around, great great book. Really, I recommend this book to everyone. ( )
  mbram1 | Oct 10, 2017 |
Anything can be a drum. Our little boy knows this and now our daughter is appreciating this as well. A timely read. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This contemporary realistic fiction picture book is exciting and innovative as it presents the story of a boy who loves music. Max drums on his stoop making music out of two sticks. This picture book shows how imagination is powerful and how music is truly an enjoyable and lovely hobby. ( )
  arodri13 | May 7, 2014 |
I liked how this book used the "pat..pat..pat" and "tap..tap..tap" relating the sounds to sounds that happened around Max in this city. This made the book engaging for the reader because of the interest in the sound and relating those sounds to object make the sounds realistic to the reader. The message was about using what you have to make yourself happy. Max only had two sticks and he was content and happy using his imagination. ( )
  kwiggi3 | May 6, 2014 |
I really liked this book for two prominent reasons. The first reason I liked this book is its use of onomatopoeia. Almost every page of the book had some form of sound words on it such as “Putter-putter…pat-tat” and “Tippy-tip…tat-tat” which subconsciously prompted me to stop reading, look around the page and see where the sound was coming from. This act made me more engaged with the story, making it more fun to turn the pages in anticipation for the next sound and drumming style within the book. I also liked this book for the comparisons made between the drumming of the main character and the environment around him. An example of this is when the main character was drumming on soda bottles and the book compared that to the church bells ringing near the main character’s house. By comparing the drumming to the main character’s environment, the book came to life and I was able to take away the idea that music can be found in a lot of unconventional places. A few hours after reading the book, I paid attention to the sounds I heard while walking around campus and I was able to make my own comparisons between sounds around me and sound that I can make myself. The big idea of this book is that music is everywhere and you can make music yourself. All it takes is a little innovation and playing around to experience making music in your own backyard. ( )
  mspisa1 | Feb 22, 2014 |
To Andrea, who inspires me to hear life's music.
It was a day when Max didn't feel like talking to anyone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068981593X, Paperback)

It was a day when Max didn't feel like talking to anyone. He just sat on his front steps and watched the clouds gather in the sky.

A strong breeze shook the tree in front of his house, and Max saw two heavy twigs fall to the ground.

So begins this story of a young boy's introduction to the joys of making music.

Max picks up the sticks and begins tapping out the rhythms of everything he sees and hears around him...the sound of pigeons startled into flight, of rain against the windows, of distant church bells and the rumble of a subway. And then, when a marching band rounds Max's corner, something wonderful happens.

Brian Pinkney's rhythmic text and lively pictures are certain to get many a child's foot tapping, many a youngster drumming.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

Although he doesn't feel like talking, a young boy responds to questions by drumming on various objects, including a bucket, hat boxes, and garbage cans, echoing the city sounds around him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,658,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible