The Scent of Lilacs by Ann H. Gabhart

Wow. What a wonderful book. Set in the summer of 1964, Jocie is a spunky spirited girl of thirteen. I love her innocence. I feel sorry for her too. A mother and sister absent. An old batty woman who spouts Scripture like Old Faithful. A father struggling to make ends meet. She's stuck between childhood and womanhood. Then everything changes. Nothing is what she thought it was anymore. The truth can hurt, but it can also heal. ( )
  caslater83 | Apr 23, 2017 |
I had a hard time getting into this book but once I did it was absorbing. It's the story of Jocie, a preacher's kid who will be starting high school in the fall. Jocie's mother left her and her father many years ago taking Jocie's sister with. How Jocie and her family go through life really is what make this such a good book. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
I realize this is the first book in a series, so a lot of questions went unanswered in the end. This is a Christian fiction novel, but it's not very preachy, actually. One problem I had with the book is that many of the main characters just blindly accept anything that comes their way. The good characters are almost unbelievably good, and the bad characters are almost laughable in their extreme badness. Still, I stuck with the book to see what would happen in the end, so the writing was interesting enough to keep me going. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Dec 27, 2014 |
Sweet Christian fiction about family in a small town. ( )
  wareagle78 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Life in Hollyhill!

I have read several books by author Ann H. Gabhart and have enjoyed them all. Scent of Lilacs is a book you will enjoy once you get into it. The beginning was a little slow for me.

I fell in love with Hollyhill because it reminds me so much of the small town I grew up in. Everybody knew everyone’s name and everyone knew everybody’s business!

Jocie captured my heart from the start . A young innocent girl who struggles to find out who she is. Her father, preacher David, tries so hard to please everyone. He is definitely a person after God’s own heart. Just wait until you meet Wes; A strange man? Perhaps in his own way he is but I could not help but grow fond of him too. Loved his stories!

There are life struggles, hurts, and spiteful mean spirited characters that are vital to this story. Take heart, there is also love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, and hope.

I urge you to pick up a copy of Scent of Lilacs. I think some of you will relate to small town living as much as I did.

I am looking forward to reading book two, Orchard of Hope. ( )
  passionforbooks | Jun 13, 2014 |

Before Ann H. Gabhart became well-known for her much-loved Shaker novels, she wrote three poignant novels centered on the loveable Jocie Brooke and her family, who lived in 1960s small-town Kentucky. Once named as one of Booklist's Top Ten Christian Novels and now featuring a brand new cover, Scent of Lilacs is poised to capture the hearts of new readers everywhere. Life-changing events rarely happen here, and when they do, they are few and far between. But for Jocie Brooke and her family, they happen all at once. Jocie has questions that need answers. As she digs into her family's past, she finds a whirlwind of discoveries, and everything begins to change. In the end, will Jocie find the answers everyone so desperately needs, or will her questions lead to truths that were better left uncovered?

Combining unforgettable characters, true-to-life struggles, and the perfect dose of humor and nostalgia, this riveting story takes readers through the universal experiences of true love, new life, and renewed faith. With a beautiful new cover, Scent of Lilacs is poised to capture the hearts of readers everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:17 -0400)

Jocie Brooke, preacher David Brooke, and Jocie's spinster Great-aunt Love seek to understand painful secrets, lost loves, and surprising truths in this heartwarming Southern tale set in the 1960s. The past issues of several citizens in a small town--the pastor, his daughter, his maiden aunt, and a coworker--all converge in this contemporary novel.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,641,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible