King of Murgos (Mallorean, Book 2) by David…

King of Murgos (Mallorean, Book 2) (1988)

by David Eddings

King Garion sets out on a perilous quest to find his baby son, kidnapped by the mysterious Zandramas, a creature that is both woman and dragon.
Member:Falcon124
Title:King of Murgos (Mallorean, Book 2)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Del Rey Books, Mass Market Paperback
Rating:*****

King of the Murgos by David Eddings (1988)

English (23)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (25)
So here's the deal ... Belgarth, Garion, Polgara et al are very well written in a cosy somewhat moralistic world of excitement and adventure. Its not Tolkien - its warmer and more empathetic than that. The fun continues while the crew look for Garions and Cenedra's son who has been kidnapped. It was surprising and enjoyable to find a Murgo that it was okay to like! The narrator has some annoying habits, but overall it is easy to be drawn into this old favourite. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 31, 2019 |
I preferred the Malloreon to the Belgariad. I know it's a literal retread that Eddings tries to retcon as being okay but some of the characters pop more this time around - said King of the Murgos is one and Zakath and his depression/sociopathy. Plus we get a lot more Beldin and that's not a bad thing.

Add: another reason it's better - no Teenage Feels About Being Special. Urgit's life is randomly turned the entire fuck over because oh hey, his daddy wasn't Taur Urgas and everyone's like "well now you won't be crazy by 50, suck it up". This is of course a little bit problematic because the only good male Murgo is half-Drasnian? But yeah, these people destroy Urgit's entire past and then are like "now be a better king and don't get killed, kthanxbi" which I find entertaining. Everyone is a grown-ass person, even 16 year old Cthan princesses. Sadi's new persona as Silk Lite reminds me that had the Eddingses been more original, they could have done some fascinating Merchant/Thief/Spy High Fantasy, but I don't think they had full plots for that. Pity. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
King of the Murgos is the second book in The Malloreon by David Eddings. The quest is under way! The Prophecy has clearly given everyone their instructions. Garion's task is to track down Zandramas and rescue his son while Belgarath must seek the final meeting place where the choice will be made in the various Mysteries. Guided by the Orb, the party heads south first through the swamps of Nyssa and then on into the lands of the Murgos. The trip is quite perilous as the party must travel through a war zone as well as dodging traps set by the enemy.

This is a slightly slower installment, though due more to all the travel involved rather than the need to set the stage. There are two big highlights in this book for me. The first is when the party finally makes it to Cthol Murgos. I quite enjoyed going through an area of the world not visited before. It adds nicely to the world building and I wish there was more of it. And the Murgo King is such a fun character! The second part is the character banter. Especially between Silk and Liselle. I think it's become an unspoken contest to see which can best eachother's cleverness.

This reread is reminding me how I've missed reading medieval-based fantasy. I read a lot of other sub-genres this year. It feels good to go back to my fantasy reading roots. ( )
2 vote Narilka | Dec 30, 2017 |
Garion and his companions have worked out who has taken his son and they follow the new child of the Dark's destructive path through the kingdoms of the west. This story doesn't have too annoy me, and the interjections of the Prophecy they are following made me laugh and the tone of the book was generally lot more grown up than the earlier books in the series ( )
  JohnFair | Dec 24, 2016 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tenny, HalNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Den, for reasons he will understand -

- and for our dear Janie,

just for being the way she is.
Being an account of how Belgarion's Son was stolen and how he learned the Abductor was that Zandramas against whom the puissant Orb of Aldur had warned.
- from The Lives of Belgarion the Great (Introduction, Vol. IV)

Now, as has been told, in the earliest of days the Gods created the world and filled it with all manner of beasts and fowls and plants.
Somewhere in the darkness, Garion could hear the crystalline tap of water dripping with a slow, monotonous regularity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible