Lord Foul's Bane : The Chronicles of…

Lord Foul's Bane : The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever… (original 1977; edition 1977)

by Stephen R. Donaldson, Map by Lynn K Plagge (Illustrator)

He called himself Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever because he dared not believe in the strange alternate world in which he suddenly found himself. Yet he was tempted to believe, to fight for the Land, to be the reincarnation of its greatest hero...
Member:Falcon124
Title:Lord Foul's Bane : The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever - Book One
Authors:Stephen R. Donaldson
Other authors:Map by Lynn K Plagge (Illustrator)
Info:Nelson Doubleday, Inc., Garden City, NY (1977), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 404 pages
Rating:***

Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson (1977)

English (64)  French (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (69)
High fantasy has certainly come a long way since the 1980s. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Covenant is a hard character to like. In fact, he's a very unlikable character on the whole. Nonetheless, I've reread this series several times over the years since it's initial release; it never gets easier but it does provide more depth into Donaldson's world building. ( )
2 vote ashareem | Mar 11, 2018 |
This is the first in a detailed and well-written series featuring the unlikeable, but believable, antihero Thomas Covenant. The strong plotting and character development forces the reader into a detailed ethical exploration in a thoroughly entertaining fantasy epic. The writer forces his main character (and the reader) into a confrontation with his worst self, and the results that follow from that. Donaldson makes the reader say to oneself, "Would I react this way? Would I be as weak/strong as this character? What a selfish jerk! But then, wouldn't I be the same in his circumstances?" The entire novel is an exploration of morality and forgiveness, madness and reality, disease and punishment. It was thought-provoking. Also, I have an extensive vocabulary, but the author had me referring to the dictionary on several occasions, which was refreshing. There were a few typos, but this novel still gets full marks. ( )
1 vote esterlibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |
One of my favorite books of all time...thanks to my High School Librarian and friend, Lori Kirtley, for recommending this author to me. Stephen Donaldson has provided me many, many happy hours of reading enjoyment! ( )
  blmyers | May 15, 2017 |
High fantasy has certainly come a long way since the 1980s. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |

Donaldson, Stephen R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Herring, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tate, Janice C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, S. C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Something there is in beauty
For James R. Donaldson, M.D., whose life expressed compassion and commitment more eloquently than any words
She came out of the store just in time to see her young son playing on the sidewalk directly in the path of the gray, gaunt man who strode down the center of the walk like a mechanical derelict.
A real man - real in all the ways that we recognise as real - finds himself suddenly abstracted from the world and deposited in a physical situation which could not possibly exist~: sounds have aroma, smells have colour and depth, sights have texture, touches have pitch and timbre. There he is informed by a disembodied voice that he has been brought to that place as a champion for his world. He must fight to the death in single combat against a champion from another world. If he is defeated, he will die, and his world – the real world – will be destroyed because it lacks the inner strength to survive.
The man refuses to believe that what he is told is true. He asserts that he is either dreaming or hallucinating, and declines to be put in the false position of fighting to the death where no ‘real’ danger exists. He is implacable in his determination to disbelieve his apparent situation, and does not defend himself when he is attacked by the champion of the other world.
Question: Is the man’s behaviour courageous or cowardly? This is the fundamental question of ethics.

He could not bear the alternative. If he were dreaming, he might still be able to save his sanity, survive, endure. But if the Land were real, actual – ah, then the long anguish of his leprosy was a dream, and he was mad already, beyond hope

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible