The Machiavelli Covenant by Allan Folsom

The Machiavelli Covenant (edition 2006)

by Allan Folsom

340None32,091 (3.04)3
Member:flint_riemen
Title:The Machiavelli Covenant
Authors:Allan Folsom
Info:Forge Books (2006), Ausgabe: 1st, Hardcover, 560 Seiten
Rating:***

The Machiavelli Covenant by Allan Folsom

English (6)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (11)
Former LAPD detective, Nicholas Marten is at the bedside of childhood sweetheart, Caroline when she dies. She called him to Washington from England because she though someone had intentionally injected her with a virus. Nicholas begins to investigate and uncovers a secret society dating back to author Niccolo Machiavelli, and whose purpose is to keep the rich and powerful in charge. The plot thickens when president of the United States, John Henry Harris goes missing. Along with French photographer, Demi Picard, they try to out run the CIA, secret service, and Spanish Intelligence.

This was a global conspiracy thriller that didn't get exciting until after about 100 pages. The story was captivating for a short while, but then the plot became extremely unbelievable (more than the average political thriller) and the book seemed to drag on. This is the second book of a trilogy and I didn't read the first, but I do not think that would have helped. Only recommended if you are really into political/global thrillers. ( )
  jayde1599 | Feb 6, 2010 |
A complicated conspiracy thriller which begins with our hero sitting beside his childhood love as she dies of a mysterious disease, leading him to a South African bioterrorist who's involved with a secret society bent on creating a new world order. Along the way he teams up with a French journalist, the President of the United States (who's fleeing that very same New World Order Gang in his own administration), and an Australian ex-pat living in Italy who acts as Sancho Panza to their Don Quixote. Hopefully unrealistic to the point of absurdity, I don't know why I kept reading - except that somehow Folsom managed to keep me wanting, if not more, then to at least find out how it would all end. Truly a potato-chip book: read it, enjoy it, and barely remember it by next week. ( )
  OliviainNJ | Aug 11, 2009 |
The Machiavelli Covenant, by Allan Folsom, is a conspiracy thriller that follows Nicholas Marten - a former LAPD detective - as he searches for answers in the death of a former girlfriend. Along the way, he meets up with the President of the United States, on the run from a murderous cabal made up of the rich and powerful, and Demi Picard, a French journalist who is searching for the truth behind the disappearance of a family member. As the story unfolds, we discover that all of these events are intertwined and are leading to the unraveling of various governments around the world.

There is no doubt the story is far-fetched, which was part of the appeal to me (sometimes escape literature is a good thing). However, I found the pacing of the story somewhat uneven, the writing rather stodgy, and the characterizations slight and ineffective. The plot started out moving along pretty well, but the scenes in the tunnels seemed to last forever. I didn't really connect with any of the characters - probably the character I felt I knew the most about was Viktor, a bit player in the story. The Machiavelli Covenant was a diverting enough read for the business trip I just took, but I wouldn't highly recommend it. ( )
  Talbin | Mar 15, 2008 |
A conspiracy thriller, but not that believable... ( )
  xavierroy | Mar 9, 2008 |
This is the first book I've read by Allan Folsom and it will probably be my last. The storyline was intriguing and it was what led me to decide to read the book. It is your typical global conspiracy story of the shadowy organization seeking political and world power, with a few hardy heroes (in this case, the President of the United States, a former LAPD detective with a new identity, and a French journalist) determined in bringing the group's evil designs to light.

So the plot idea wasn't the problem (it's also not that original, but every author can bring their own twist to it). It was the execution of the story that was mediocre and what I considered a very poor and amateur effort.

At first, I couldn't figure out what exactly about the book annoyed me, but as I continued to read, I realized what it was. The writing was flat and passive, with the writing style very simple, maybe too simple. Maybe it's a preference of mine, but I think a more complex, rich and active writing style would have made the story more interesting. Sentences were wooden and choppy, with the scene changes not flowing well together. The characters are lifeless and you are told the story instead of experiencing it with the characters.

I wanted an active voice in the main characters, some life and real emotion being shown would have been nice. For instance, you really don't feel the main character's emotions or thoughts. You don't get to know the characters at all, and I felt very dispassionate and detached from the characters. Even a detailed description of the background scenery or location would have been nice, but again, here you are told the description.

As a result, you can't really dive deep into the story and be there with the characters. You aren't a part of the author's fictional world. I felt this was a big issue with me reading this book as I am the type of reader that fully becomes a part of the story. I cry, laugh, or get angry with the characters and that is what makes a book great in my opinion. This book makes you read from a distance, you don't get the full immersion into the story, and as a result I felt the book to be very boring. ( )
  booklover79 | Jan 25, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765351587, Mass Market Paperback)

In Washington, D.C., Former LAPD rogue detective Nicholas Marten has come out of hiding to hunt down the killers of his childhood sweetheart.  The wife of a controversial United States congressman, she and her husband and son were mysteriously murdered soon after the congressman discovered a massive clandestine bioweapons program.

In Europe to meet with distinguished heads of state prior to a crucial NATO summit in Warsaw, US President John Henry Harris may well face the same deadly fate.  A secret cabal within his own administration orders Harris to have the president of France and the chancellor of Germany assassinated. Refusal, he knows, will mean his death.

Afraid to trust anyone, even his Secret Service protectors, the President flees for his life. Pursued by the Secret Service, the CIA, and Spanish Intelligence who believe he is the victim of foul play, Harris joins forces with Nicholas Marten and the beautiful but enigmatic French photo-journalist, Demi Picard. Together the three uncover one of the most secretive and brutally powerful groups the world has ever known, a brotherhood of blood that will stop at nothing to realize their own depraved ambitions. The assassination of world leaders, a genocidal attack on a major civilian populace with of weapons of mass destruction -- nothing is beyond them.

The origin of their evil reaches back to the Renaissance when the dying political thinker Niccolo Machiavelli fashioned a sinister addendum to his most infamous work, The Prince. Titled simply The Covenant, it is a terrifying blueprint for the gaining and keeping of true political power. For five hundred years this despotic order of the supremely rich and powerful has kept Machiavelli's original manuscript hidden away under heavy guard, the document itself worshiped like some divine artifact. Bonded by complicity in ritual murder and dedicated to a singular vision of global domination, over the centuries they have prospered far beyond any dreams of power and avarice. Outmanned, outnumbered, outgunned, three people now stand alone against it: Nicholas Marten, Demi Picard and John Henry Harris, President of the United States.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:32 -0400)

For 500 years, a cabal of ruthless power brokers have operated secretly, guided by stratagems revealed in a long-hidden unpublished manuscript by famed thinker Niccolo Miachiavelli. No despotic act is beneath these furtive plotters, who include corporate moguls, military leaders, and prominent politicians. Into this seething miasma of evil plunges Nicholas Marten, a former LAPD detective intent simply on solving the mystery of an ex-girlfriend's death. Da Vinci Code-like intrigue by the author of The Exile.Nicholas Marten's former girlfriend is mysteriously killed--along with her child and congressman-husband. A former LA cop, Marten learns her husband had just discovered a secret and illegal bioweapons program. When the feds fail to investigate, Marten pursues the killers himself.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,482,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible