Storm Runners by T. Jefferson Parker

Storm Runners (edition 2007)

by T. Jefferson Parker

Member:danhammang
Title:Storm Runners
Authors:T. Jefferson Parker
Info:New York : William Morrow, c2007.
Rating:*
Tags:San Diego

Storm Runners by T. Jefferson Parker

Review by: Nopainnojain

A very captivating book, Parker is a great writer. Storm Runners is not a light read and at times it can confuse you, but if you like sciencey books as well as action Storm Runners is for you. ( )
  bplteen | May 15, 2012 |
Nothing amazing. Enjoyable. ( )
  NerdNat | May 11, 2012 |
Fascinating thriller featuring a contest between an ex-deputy and a vicious gang leader. Rain-making and politics also feature in the plot. Note: this is a thriller, not a mystery like California Girl, by the same author. ( )
  barlow304 | Jan 30, 2011 |
I read this thinking T. Jefferson Parker is Robert B. Parker's son, but don't know whether that's true or not. His style has some of the same laid back ease with which RBP writes, and some of the same kind of interesting by play and word play between the bad and good guys. The book kept my attention, and I really liked the rainmaking theme, the water history, and the main characters (kept hoping the good and mostly good ones would stay alive!) There was plenty of action, some good dialogue, a little humor...the only flaw, I thought, wasthat too many things happened too conveniently, too much coincidence to be believable. But all in all, a good writer and a good story. ( )
  MarthaHuntley | Mar 25, 2010 |
My first read by T. Jeff, based on a recommendation from Chris Moore's blog as one of his favorite authors. As one of my favorite authors, I thought I'd give one of his books a shot. While the rainmaking sub-plot was interesting, even after the book was over, I sort of felt that this was unbelievable and somewhat unresolved. Spoiler ahead... A large company such as DWP wouldn't only have one terribly obsessed person willing to risk it all to stop something as important as Frankie's work. I liked how Parker worked real history into the story with Charley Hatfield, though. His writing style is quite enjoyable. As a former band geek and percussion captain, the marching band backstory was a nice touch for me. The descriptions of how prisoners can run a gang from the inside of a prison was great. Fallbrook sounds like a great place to live or visit.

When starting the book, I almost had the feeling that I was reading a sequel to a previous novel regarding the story of El Jefe and Stromsoe, though I don't believe it is.

Great first line to a novel and looking forward to my next T. Jeff novel. ( )
  cskaryd | Jul 14, 2008 |
For those who bring the water
Stromsoe was in high school when he met the boy who would someday murder his wife and son.

Matt Stromsoe has come a long way since his wife and son were killed in an explosion meant for him. Wounded severely in both body and spirit, Stromsoe gave up the last thing that held any meaning for him—his job on the police force—and proceeded to hit rock bottom, hard.

That was a lifetime ago, and finally the spiral of personal destruction and despair seems to have come to an end. The man responsible for the murders—Stromsoe's best friend from childhood and his wife's old lover—is behind bars and Stromsoe has put the past behind him, rescued from the abyss by a former colleague who offers him a job at his private security firm. Stromsoe's first assignment is to protect local television personality Frankie Hatfield from a stalker. But the further Stromsoe is drawn into this case, the more he finds that the net of intrigue is wide and ultimately leads back to the man who killed his family. As events conspire against him, Stromsoe learns that prison is no safeguard against revenge.

T. Jefferson Parker has been hailed as belonging "in the first rank of American crime novelists" (Washington Post Book World) and praised for "some of the finest writing you'll ever read" (Chicago Sun-Times). Superbly crafted, emotionally complex, and filled with heart-stopping action, Storm Runners proves why the novels of T. Jefferson Parker are impossible to resist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:41 -0400)

Hitting rock bottom after losing his family and ability to work after an explosion that was intended to kill him, former police officer Matt Stromsoe takes a job as a bodyguard for a television personality whose private life has rendered her a stalker's target.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,665,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible