Wild Adapter, Volume 3 by Kazuya Minekura

Wild Adapter, Volume 3

by Kazuya Minekura

In the third volume of Wild Adapter, Kubota and Tokito continue to investigate leads on the mysterious drug Wild Adapter likely connected to Tokito's past. This time their information leads them to investigate a religious cult.

The series is still nicely character-focused compared to most action/crime stories, but it seems to be settling more and more into the standard crime investigation pattern, and that the almost entirely character-driven first volume prologue was simply a different beast from the rest of the series. It makes me sad, but hopefully now I'm coming more to terms with that I will be able to enjoy future volumes better simply for what they are.

Kubota and Tokito's easy comfort and complete dedication to one another is still a little more intense than I usually like to see at the beginning of a story (since if they've already got such a good relationship...where else does it have to go?), but luckily this mangaka seems capable of exploring other dimensions of their relationship beyond simply how dedicated and how much they care for one another, and that will keep me interested regardless of some things being not entirely to my taste.

Still, while handled decently enough, the too-often-used religious cult theme lowers my enjoyment of this particular volume, as well as the fact the volume didn't ultimately move us along much more in the plot. If Wild Adapter were still as character-driven as I originally started thinking it was going to be this wouldn't be a problem, but since pure plot is taking more page-space and focus here compared to character exploration, I expect a little more forward movement in that area as well. ( )
  narwhaltortellini | Dec 9, 2010 |
In this volume Kubota learns of a religious cult that could potentially have connections to both the yakuza sect and W.A. so he and Tokito, with the help of a nosey reporter, infiltrate to investigate and find out what's going on.

I liked this one a lot. There is an interesting ambiguousness in the relationship between Tokito and Kubota which could be one of just friends, or not. It is obvious that Kubota consistently puts Tokito's well being before his own and knowing his self-involved pre-disposition thanks to volume one, it is a significant change. The plot line of the religious cult seemed to serve more as a vehicle to somewhat advance the overarching story although it was still moderately interesting in and of itself. Again the dark denseness of the panels give this manga a slightly claustrophobic feel which is good for ratcheting up the sense of dread. I'm certainly looking forward to reading more! ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Jan 25, 2009 |

From the back cover: Hoping to pick up information on Wild Adapter and perhaps Tokito's forgotten past, Kubota and Tokito infiltrate a popular cult that preaches a return to a more animalistic level of humanity. But the yakuza are still hot on their trail, and there is a lot more to this new religion than just meditation and ritual chanting! And once you join up, the only way out may be on a stretcher...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible