This is Our Story by Ashley Elston

This is Our Story

by Ashley Elston

3.5 ( )
  Dawnssj | Jan 26, 2018 |
THIS IS OUR STORY by Ashley Elston is a gripping, young adult novel exploring friendship, grief, and a search for the truth behind a death.

After a teen is killed while hunting with friends, it’s unclear whether the death was an accident or murder. As an intern in the District Attorney’s Office digs deeper into the investigation, she uncovers evidence leading to the novel’s shocking conclusion. The author does an exceptional job building tension and using changing narrators to keep readers in the dark until the intriguing conclusion.

Librarians will find this powerful suspense to be popular with mystery fans. Addressing a variety of social issues, this work of contemporary, realistic fiction would be a good choice for a book club discussion.

Published by Disney-Hyperion on November 15, 2016. ARC courtesy of the publisher. ( )
  eduscapes | Oct 15, 2017 |
I quite enjoyed this YA murder mystery, and found myself quickly turning the pages trying to work out who the killer was . . . but I didn't. The plot was addictive and had so many twists and turns I was forever changing my mind.

Kate, the narrator, was a likeable character although I wanted to shake some sense into her at times as she could be rather dumb. However, I admired her determination to uncover the truth, the fact that she worked as an intern at the DA's office, and how she took her photography so seriously.

I also enjoyed the various text messages at the start of each chapter, the narratives from the killer (which created atmosphere and a feeling of dread) and the police interviews of the suspects and eyewitnesses.

Kate's friend, Reagan, was terrific character. She was funny and was always there to support Kate. Their friendship was portrayed beautifully. However, I would have liked to have known the River Point boys better. As the reader, I learnt a bit about them through their interviews and short conversations during the killer's narratives, but I wanted to understand them on a deeper level. Maybe, then, I could have guessed which of them was the killer.

What spoilt the book for me, however, was the overuse of "y'all", which I hate at the best of times. Every time I read it, I felt my teeth grinding together in frustration. Then there was the ending - what a disappointment that was! It just came to a finish so suddenly. This really surprised me considering the detail that the author had put into the rest of the book. Everything was wrapped up too quickly and too neatly that I felt let down. Despite the ending, overall, I did find "This is Our Story" an entertaining read and a solid mystery. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Sep 2, 2017 |
Grant Perkins was one of the five River Point Boys, best friends and inseparable for years. All five come from wealthy families and go to private school. They love expensive toys, drugs, drinks and hunting, and throw parties around these activities every weekend. One weekend, following one of the parties, the five boys go hunting. By the end of the day, Grant is dead. The boys decide to stick together and claim none of them knows who is responsible.

Meanwhile, Kate Marino is spending her senior year interning at the District Attorney’s Office. She's disappointed to find out that the Chief DA, who has accepted many donations from the boys' families, wants the boys’ case to quietly go away. Kate wants the group prosecuted, especially since she had a texting relationship with Grant. She convinces her boss to go after the case himself, and fully prosecute the boys. Kate is filled with plenty of flaws, and at times I just wanted to smack her, but I still couldn't stop reading this story.

This book was full of surprises and I couldn't put it down. The novel is delivered in a unique way that intensified the reading experience for me. A majority of the narrative comes from Kate's viewpoint, including her texts back and forth to Grant. It's often broken up with one of the River Point Boys’ narration. Despite the four boys claiming they don't know who was responsible, we know that the one we are hearing from is the killer. I don't read a lot of YA genre books but this is one of the best I've read in quite some time. I expect it to be high on my Top Ten list at the end of the year. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
I really enjoyed that!! With strong, suspenseful language, sympathetic, fleshed-out characters, & a well-paced mystery, this book had it all. Props to the writer for actually speaking to adults that work in high schools to make sure the setting was fully-realized & realistic (BIG pet peeve of mine when it isn't). That, combined with everything else, made this a thrilling, romantic mystery I couldn't stop. ★★★★☆. ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |

"When a hunting accident claims a boy's life, his best friends all come under suspicion"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible