How to Drive : Real-World Instruction and…

How to Drive : Real-World Instruction and Advice from Hollywood's Top… (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Ben Collins

Member:RGSchmitt
Title:How to Drive : Real-World Instruction and Advice from Hollywood's Top Driver
Authors:Ben Collins
Info:San Francisco : Chronicle Books, 2016.
Rating:*****

How to Drive: Real World Instruction and Advice from Hollywood's Top Driver by Ben Collins (2016)

Practical! signed by the Stig ( )
  RGSchmitt | Mar 21, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For drivers old and young. It is everything that it says it is on the jacket. Can't add to that without sounding hyperbolic. I wish I had read this long ago ( )
  queentangerine | May 8, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"How to Drive," by Ben Collins, was a first for me on two fronts: this was the first book I have read by Collins, and the first instructional book on driving (excluding my high school driver's education course from ages ago!). In surprisingly witty prose, Collins is able to convey a wealth of tips, hints, and concepts, all designed to improve driving. Additionally, I was particularly pleased with the inclusion of hints that make driving safer, such as which product to apply to the windshield to repel rain. The book is brilliantly organized, which, as a reference text, is a grand asset. Personally, I felt my own driving has improved since I had the privilege of reading the book, and I cannot recommend it enough! ( )
  DrDS | Jul 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I gave this book on how to drive to Matthew, my sixteen your old son, to read. Here is Matthew's review:

How To Drive, written by Ben Collins, breaks down the fundamentals of driving and explains the science behind those fundamentals, as well as how to master them. The book covers everything from the basics: checking your blind spots, how to pass, how to brake and corner, to the advanced, such as how to eat like a Les Mans driver, and how to drive like James Bond. He introduces the concepts, provides charts like one showing comparisons of braking distance between different cars and diagrams on topics such as how to take a corner flawlessly. Most of the information can be practically applied to everyday driving, and I find myself trying to see just how well I can make that turn, or how smoothly I can double clutch. Included at the end of the book is a section on stunt driving for people who don’t mind spending money on a new set of tires and potentially blowing a transmission. While it may not be recommended to try these techniques, it’s nice to know how to do them just in case you get the urge and find the time to practice them. ( )
  DJWbb | May 23, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was looking forward to this book to learn tips and techniques on becoming a better driver and I have to say I was disappointed. Ben Collins no doubt has an impressive resume when it comes to driving experience and credentials. He has raced circuits and is an accomplished Hollywood movie stunt driver. The problem I had in his presentation here is that many of the topics he delves into I was aware of his advice and technique, he just didn't add much. I also found his writing style annoying as he jumps back and forth to his racing and movie escapades and seems to be trying to impress you or jazz things up.

The production of the books is good. The graphics are nicely done and the cover is kind of unique in that it has flaps on the cover that can double as book marks. Also some of the background information he puts forward on the evolution of driving and some historical topics was well done. On balance though I thought he could have done a lot more in conveying how we all could become better and safer drivers and he missed the mark on this. ( )
  knightlight777 | May 8, 2016 |
1998. A twisting country lane in the middle of nowhere, traveling at 80 mph.
The sound of fourteen tons of metal colliding is almost deafening when you're right next to it. Imagine one hundred heavy doors slamming in unison and you're not even close. It's loud enough to summon people from farmhouses half a mile away to search for plane wreckage; but, inside the crash...you hardly hear a thing.

Driving is the most dangerous thing each of us does on a daily basis - and yet the average learner receives just eighteen hours' training - less than a Starbucks barista. In this inspirational, instructive, highly entertaining book, Ben Collins uses his super-charged experience of racing, stunt-work and cutting-edge scientific knowledge to tell you all of the things you didn't learn on your test - and in the process will make your driving safer, more economical and a lot more enjoyable. The skills described here, from skid control to gear changes that are as smooth as a cashmere codpiece, have been honed on racing tracks by the greatest drivers in the world. This is the stuff your instructor missed, your dad forgot and your mates pretend to know ...but don't. Packed with illustrations, gobsmacking driving anecdotes, humour and wisdom, this is the ultimate book for anyone who wants to be better at something they do every day of their life. The world population of motor vehicles exceeded a billion a couple of years ago. Let's make sure their owners understand how to use them.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ben Collins's book How to Drive was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,462,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible