North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

North and South (1855)

by Elizabeth Gaskell

5,4541961,228 (4.1)3 / 658
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (Anonymous user)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (PensiveCat)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Anonymous user)
    A Heart for Milton: A Tale from North and South by Trudy Brasure (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Another sequel to the novel.
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: A self-righteous heroine leaves the place where she lived for many years, gets wrongly accused of "immoral behavior", has strong Christian views, and so on.
    Nice Work by David Lodge (KayCliff)
    Northern Light by Catherine Winchester (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: If you like 'sequels', I recommend this one!

English (189)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (196)
Leggere tutto il romanzo continuando a vedere Richard Armitage nel ruolo di John Thornton... cose che succedono quando prima si guarda la serie della BBC!
Il romanzo è molto bello, anche se in alcuni punti (tipo nel finale) ho decisamente preferito la versione della BBC, anche se non si scostava tantissimo.
Nel complesso meglio il romanzo, comunque.
Devo dire che Elizabeth Gaskell mi ricorda moltissimo G.R.R. Martin per il fatto di far morire più personaggi principali. :-)

elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
I really couldn't read more than 40/50 pages of the book. The paragraphs don't make sense together. Maybe I didn't get a good edition (free Kindle edition) but this isn't for me. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
Victorian women's oppression is pretty harsh, and I was reminded of that just by the "conflict" between Margaret and Mr. Thornton. This is a good social novel, though. I mean, Germinal is far better, but if you like Victorian romance (which I think I don't, really) mixed in with your working class issues, it's pretty good. I guess I also didn't love the Christianity stuff either - Austen and Eliot, by comparison, tend not to talk about religion so much. But I really appreciate the depiction of class conflict and class differences in this book. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
I loved this book.
A periodic romance. A period in which one can find interest also because it is one of the first writers in the modern era, which is also, how not, England, and also because it is the beginning of industrialization in England and the changes it has caused. Gaskell, describes the industrial city, the status of industrialists in northern England and the working class there, and the relationship between them. This is England of Dickens plus romantic relationships, and it's a little surprising that an English woman at dose days knew all this; I mean, the whole non-romantic part of the book.
It was a lot of fun to read this book. On the one hand, a novel develops slowly with all the pitfalls, misunderstandings and all that needed in the style of Jane Austen, and this mix with labor relations, the beginning of the working class association and the difficulties of trade. All these allow me to tell myself that all I read is good literature.

RUTHKOLOCKR | Jan 11, 2019 |
The socialist's Pride & Prejudice. If you're not tired of the unresolved sexual tension and the cotton/snow allegories after reading the novel, the BBC adaption is well worth a watch too; Daniela Denby-Ashe's quivering bottom lip will haunt my dreams forever. ( )
  camillawb | Nov 6, 2018 |

Sorbier, Françoise DuIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uglow, JennyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vonghizas, ConstantinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Edith!" said Margaret, gently, "Edith!"
North and South is one of the most intricately structured novels of the Victorian age. (Introduction)

"How am I to dress up in my finery, and go off and away to smart parties, after the sorrow I have seen today?"

When her father leaves the Church in a crisis of conscience, Margaret Hale is uprooted from her comfortable home in Hampshire to move with her family to the north of England. Initially repulsed by the ugliness of her new surroundings in the industrial town of Milton, Margaret becomes aware of the poverty and suffering of the local mill workers and develops a passionate sense of social justice. This is intensified by her tempestuous relationship with the mill-owner and self-made man, John Thornton, as their fierce opposition over his treatment of his employees masks a deeper attraction. In North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell skillfully fused individual feeling with social concern, and in Margaret Hale created one of the most original heroines of Victorian literature.

In her introduction Patricia Ingham examines geographical, economic and class differences, and male and female roles in North and South. This edition also includes a list for further reading, notes and a glossary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

From her home ground, her father's comfortably middle-class living in Hampshire and her aunt's establishment in Harley Street, Margaret is exiled to the ugly northern industrial town of Milton. Surprisingly, her social consciousness awakens. It is intensified by a relationship with the local mill-owner, Thornton, that combines passionate attraction with fierce opposition. The novel explores the exploitation of the working class, linking the plight of workers with that of women and probing the myth and reality of the 'north-south divide'.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434240, 0141028122, 0141198923

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,758,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible