North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

North and South (original 1855; edition 1970)

by Elizabeth Gaskell

4,0491201,257 (4.13)3 / 502
Member:thorold
Title:North and South
Authors:Elizabeth Gaskell
Info:
Tags:fiction, 19th century, Manchester

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (1855)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (Anonymous user)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (PensiveCat)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Anonymous user)
    Northern Light by Catherine Winchester (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: If you like 'sequels', I recommend this one!

English (111)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (119)
Done. Finally. So glad I read and finished this book. ( )
  Hollie1122 | Oct 5, 2014 |
Enjoyed except for the abrupt ending. ( )
  MarysGirl | Sep 29, 2014 |
I'm fangirling over here. I seriously found a book to put in my top five, all-time favorites. I read my first Gaskell book this year, Wives and Daughters, and raved about it. But, this one is even better.

Gaskell's style is a cross between Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. This book has the long sentence structure and meandering style of Dickens with his focus on the poor and working classes, combined with an Austen-style love story.

Gaskell's book holds a serious discussion of labor unions and factory owners, with a plea to understand the opposing viewpoints. In the story Margaret Hale and her family move to the North of England and encounter cross-cultural situations. The industrialization of the North and personality of the people contrast the agricultural, genteel South.

Then throw in a good dose of a Mr. Darcy-type main character and you've got the makings of a great book. If it is hard to get into, give the book seventy pages at least. ( )
1 vote heidip | Jun 23, 2014 |
Gaskell constructs an extremely detailed picture of life in the fictional town of Milton, an industrial city in the north, and how a southern girl (and daughter of a non-conformist) deals with the upheavals of the industrial revolution while falling in love with a northern nouveau-riche mill owner. Unlike [b:Mary Barton|54620|Mary Barton|Elizabeth Gaskell|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1298427440s/54620.jpg|2887963], Gaskell paints a balanced picture of employer-employee relations by focusing more on the thinking and perspective of the owners.
If you have read [b:Shirley|31168|Shirley|Charlotte Brontë|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1299948983s/31168.jpg|2685457] by Charlotte Brontë, then this book is of a very similar manner. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
By all accounts Elizabeth Gaskell's "North and South" should have been right up my alley. I adore Victorian-era fiction, especially if it features young heroines wrestling with dire circumstances and tangled love stories. This book has all of that, but frankly, I found it rather dull.

Gaskell's heroine, Margaret Hale, goes from London society to an industrial town named Milton as her father leaves the priesthood and takes up teaching instead. The book focuses a lot on the industrial revolution-- the needs of the working class versus the needs of the factory owners as a company goes on strike.

I found saintly Margaret somewhat annoying -- her reactions to events often range too odd and contrived for me and the love story really never came together for me. Overall, I found this novel pretty disappointing. ( )
  amerynth | May 26, 2014 |

Shuttleworth, SallyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sorbier, Françoise DuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sorbier, Françoise DuIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vonghizas, ConstantinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Edith!" said Margaret, gently, "Edith!"

"How am I to dress up in my finery, and go off and away to smart parties, after the sorrow I have seen today?"

When her father leaves the Church in a crisis of conscience, Margaret Hale is uprooted from her comfortable home in Hampshire to move with her family to the north of England. Initially repulsed by the ugliness of her new surroundings in the industrial town of Milton, Margaret becomes aware of the poverty and suffering of the local mill workers and develops a passionate sense of social justice. This is intensified by her tempestuous relationship with the mill-owner and self-made man, John Thornton, as their fierce opposition over his treatment of his employees masks a deeper attraction. In North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell skillfully fused individual feeling with social concern, and in Margaret Hale created one of the most original heroines of Victorian literature.

In her introduction Patricia Ingham examines geographical, economic and class differences, and male and female roles in North and South. This edition also includes a list for further reading, notes and a glossary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:39 -0400)

From her home ground, her father's comfortably middle-class living in Hampshire and her aunt's establishment in Harley Street, Margaret is exiled to the ugly northern industrial town of Milton. Surprisingly, her social consciousness awakens. It is intensified by a relationship with the local mill-owner, Thornton, that combines passionate attraction with fierce opposition. The novel explores the exploitation of the working class, linking the plight of workers with that of women and probing the myth and reality of the 'north-south divide'.… (more)

Eigthteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434240, 0141028122, 0141198923

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,395,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible