North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

North and South (original 1855; edition 1970)

by Elizabeth Gaskell, Dorothy Collin

4,6691721,015 (4.11)3 / 570
Member:snash
Title:North and South
Authors:Elizabeth Gaskell
Other authors:Dorothy Collin
Info:Harmondsworth : Penguin, 1970.
Collections:Sharon's Collection, Your library
Tags:Literature, Kindle

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (1855)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (Anonymous user)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (PensiveCat)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Anonymous user)
    Northern Light by Catherine Winchester (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: If you like 'sequels', I recommend this one!

English (164)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (172)
The 5 stars are in no way influenced by my imagination imposing Richard Armitage on John Thornton. I thoroughly enjoyed Gaskell tackling religion and doubt, justice, and capitalism. I found Margaret Hale to be a silent hero, one that can be easily overlooked, but her perseverance throughout her family's tragedies and ability to always be the reliable one are traits that are perhaps easy to dismiss. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
This book is a little Jane Austen and a little Charlotte Bronte. In fact, Elizabeth Gaskell was a personal friend of Bronte and wrote a biography of Bronte's life after her death, so I suspect she was somewhat influenced by Bronte's gothic writing. However, this story is not really gothic in tone, but is definitely not the cheerfulness of Austen, either. While telling the story of the growth of a young woman over a 3-4 year period, it examines agrarian life versus city life with its mechanization. I enjoyed Margaret and Mr. Thornton, thought Mrs. Hale, Fanny, and Edith were flighty, and that Mr. Hale was gutless and weak. The ending was hurried and seemed incomplete but, otherwise, this was a surprisingly good read. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Sep 28, 2016 |
I very much enjoyed this novel about the rising and falling fortunes of the manufacturing and educated classes. This novel struck me as quite progressive in certain ways as the manufacturer has a number of classically 'noble' traits such as self-sacrifice for honour. Highly recommend if you are partial to Victorian romances that are conscious of class. ( )
  kale.dyer | Sep 1, 2016 |
I read this because I love the BBC TV Series.

Margaret Hale has been raised in the prosperous South of England, her father is the local Vicar. But her world is turned upside down by his sudden decision to move the family to the "smoky, dirty" manufacturing town of Milton in the North after a bout of conscience.

Margaret, initially shocked by what she witnesses in the numerous cotton mills, develops a heart for some of the poor locals and befriends them trying to do what she can to ease their burdens from her lofty position. Gradually she learns to relate to them and even to become one of them

Mr Thornton is a manufacturer and Magistrate in Milton who crosses paths and clashes with Margaret due to their differing ideals and class backgrounds. He becomes a good friend of the Hale family due to studying under her father.

What will happen when Margaret's new found friends decide to go on strike putting Mr Thornton's livelihood in jeopardy....

I like this story as it combines the battle of the classes and the North/South divide which makes for interesting reading. The characters are well developed and believable. It was a bit too slow paced for me especially at the beginning when I nearly gave up but I'm glad I persevered as it picked up a bit towards the middle. There are various details that have been changed for the TV Series including the ending. I think the producers of the series did well to cut the beginning as there is too much setting the scene and unnecessary detail in the book.

Recommended for lovers of period classics....It is obviously clean with no swearing, minimal violence and no sexual content.

sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |
Sé muy bien lo que dicen de que no debe juzgarse un libro por su película (o en este caso miniserie), pero comparativamente la miniserie de la BBC es mejor, mucho mejor. Lo que hace que este libro sea simplemente: ok.

Y es que todo lo que me había gustado de los personajes cuando vi la adaptación, me disgusto mientras leía esto. En la serie Margaret parecía dulce e inocente, en cambio aquí es una total snob!

Además de eso, me dio tristeza darme cuenta que mis partes y frases favoritas no están en el libro (como cuando Margaret va caminando por la fabrica con un montón de restos de algodón volando a su alrededor y dice que acaba de darse cuenta que el infierno es blanco).

El primer encuentro entre Margaret y Mr. Thornton es también bastante diferente, y me parece que el de la serie es más adecuado para mostrar la naturaleza real de Mr. Thornton. Quien debo añadir es un poco más falto de carácter que su contraparte actoral.

En definitiva, aunque no es una mala historia -es algo así como un Orgullo y Prejuicio en una realidad alterna donde Mr. Darcy trabaja. Mas o menos- no la disfrute. Y recomiendo que en vez de leerla vean su adaptación, que son sólo 4 capítulos, de una hora cada uno, hechos por la BBC. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |

Sorbier, Françoise DuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sorbier, Françoise DuIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vonghizas, ConstantinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Edith!" said Margaret, gently, "Edith!"
North and South is one of the most intricately structured novels of the Victorian age. (Introduction)

"How am I to dress up in my finery, and go off and away to smart parties, after the sorrow I have seen today?"

When her father leaves the Church in a crisis of conscience, Margaret Hale is uprooted from her comfortable home in Hampshire to move with her family to the north of England. Initially repulsed by the ugliness of her new surroundings in the industrial town of Milton, Margaret becomes aware of the poverty and suffering of the local mill workers and develops a passionate sense of social justice. This is intensified by her tempestuous relationship with the mill-owner and self-made man, John Thornton, as their fierce opposition over his treatment of his employees masks a deeper attraction. In North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell skillfully fused individual feeling with social concern, and in Margaret Hale created one of the most original heroines of Victorian literature.

In her introduction Patricia Ingham examines geographical, economic and class differences, and male and female roles in North and South. This edition also includes a list for further reading, notes and a glossary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

From her home ground, her father's comfortably middle-class living in Hampshire and her aunt's establishment in Harley Street, Margaret is exiled to the ugly northern industrial town of Milton. Surprisingly, her social consciousness awakens. It is intensified by a relationship with the local mill-owner, Thornton, that combines passionate attraction with fierce opposition. The novel explores the exploitation of the working class, linking the plight of workers with that of women and probing the myth and reality of the 'north-south divide'.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434240, 0141028122, 0141198923

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,821,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible