Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Lethal White by Robert Galbraith

English (54)  Piratical (1)  All languages (55)
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed [Lethal
White] and have no complaints. Sure, yeah, there is a bit too much romantic ruminating, but I would say the length of the book is mostly due to a most complicated and sinuous plot that I did not unravel (although I did have my suspicions by the second half and which proved correct for the most part.) Anyhow Rowling/Galbraith is no worse than anyone else in the endlessly delayed gratification game of the mystery/thriller genre. If I had a complaint I suppose it would be that Robin doesn't seem to be learning to be more cautious and Cormoran is a dope about his limitations, but that is all part of the fun as well, innit? Need I go into any of the ins and outs? I'm sure others have done this for me. ****1/2 ( )
1 vote sibyx | Feb 14, 2019 |
The Cormoran Strike novels are some of my favorite Crime/Detective books. I'm not sure if it was because I've been so busy and haven't had much time to read and when I was reading it was a couple chapters at a time, but I had a hard time getting into this book. It seemed reeeeeeeeeally long. I still love Strike! Not sure I'm loving the relationship back and forth between Charlotte and Robin. I hate love triangles/love interests that go back and forth and hoping the next one won't continue what happened in this book. I thought it was alright. ( )
  MinDea | Feb 10, 2019 |
Lethal White - Galbraith/Rowling
5 stars

This book began with a prologue that completed a scene set at the end of the last book in the series. It was emotional, humorously ludicrous, and completely satisfying. I turned the page ready for more and read the intro to chapter one.

ONE YEAR LATER.

I laughed out loud. Damn! This woman can write. She knows how to grab an audience. This is the only similarity that I see to the Potter series; the crafting of characters and the meticulous timing of the plot. Yes, at 650 pages it is long for a detective story. But, this isn’t a typical detective series. It’s not a cozy mystery. The protagonists are complex people who make mistakes in their very messy lives. Not always admirable, but realistic.

To my relief, this book was less bloody than the last one. The investigation ranges from the House of Commons to the sordid, low income, shared flat of a socialist dissident. I love the way these books showcase all levels of society, highlighting the disparity. Rowling exposes the hypocrisy and selfish motivation of characters at both ends of the social spectrum, but I think she had some fun poking at the upper echelons in this book. (There was a rude comment about Prince Harry…..)

In addition to the partial amputee, hero detective,Cormoran Strike, the book features a number of disabled characters. Although, part of the mystery features the paralympics, misuse of a charity’s funds, and a blind Member of Parliament, the book isn’t about disabilities. It simply includes disabled characters living their lives. Some attention is paid to Robin coping with PTSD, and Cormoran ignoring his limitations. The earliest incident in the mystery introduces a schizophrenic character. Authors rarely depict psychotic characters realistically or sympathetically. Rowling got it exactly right. Billy is delusional, filthy, agitated, scary, and pathetic when he is introduced to the story. It was good to see him medicated and in contact with reality at the end.

I rarely read contemporary detective fiction. I’m more of an historical fiction fan. I need something above the average to take me into this genre. This series provides that and more. Where else would I be able to find epigrams from Ibsen at the beginning of each chapter? ( )
  msjudy | Feb 9, 2019 |
This book desperately needed some editing. It feels about 200 pages too long and is overstuffed with extra detail and scenes that just aren't needed to either the plot or the character development. The plot itself is interesting and nicely twisty with a satisfying conclusion. The character development bothered me. I'm becoming annoyed at how often Robin serves as the damsel in distress, and I think it was a mistake to make Matthew as despicable/pathetic as he is here. It just makes Robin look stupid and weak to have stayed with him as long as she did. I also remain skeptical at Strike's love life - he doesn't treat his girlfriends well, he's described as unattractive, he doesn't seem particularly charming, and yet he seems to have no trouble finding women willing to put up with him and come back for more. I was hoping that this series was going to avoid putting him together with Robin, but it seems like that's where we're headed, like it or not. I will still pick up the next, but I'm not looking forward to it as much as I had anticipated this one. ( )
  duchessjlh | Feb 3, 2019 |
Too long with all the tiny clues and way too many side stories. Pity because I enjoy the main characters in the book. Some a short simple sentence better than a long detailed paragraph ( )
  shazjhb | Feb 1, 2019 |
To Di and Roger,
and in memory
of the lovely white Spike
If only the swans would swim side by side on the dark green lake, this picture might turn out to be the crowning achievement of the wedding photographer's career.

"I seen a kid killed... He strangled it, up by the horse."

When Billy, a troubled young man, comes to private eye Cormoran Strike's office to ask for his help investigating a crime he thinks he witnessed as a child, Strike is left deeply unsettled. While Billy is obviously mentally distressed, and cannot remember many concrete details, there is something sincere about him and his story. But before Strike can question him further, Billy bolts from his office in a panic.

Trying to get to the bottom of Billy's story, Strike and Robin Ellacott - once his assistant, now a partner in the agency - set off on a twisting trail that leads them through the backstreets of London, into a secretive inner sanctum within Parliament, and to a beautiful but sinister manor house deep in the countryside.

And during this labyrinthine investigation, Strike's own life is far from straightforward: his newfound fame as a private eye means he can no longer operate behind the scenes as he once did. Plus, his relationship with his former assistant is more fraught than it ever has been - Robin is now invaluable to Strike in the business, but their personal relationship is much, much trickier than that.
A decades-old crime
Blackmail in House of Commons
A dead minister
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,419,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible