Lethal White (A Cormoran Strike Novel) by…

Lethal White (A Cormoran Strike Novel) (edition 2018)

by Robert Galbraith (Author)

Member:JLSMEG
Title:Lethal White (A Cormoran Strike Novel)
Authors:Robert Galbraith (Author)
Info:Mulholland Books (2018), 656 pages
Collections:Read in 2019, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Cormoran Strike, Crime, England, Mystery

Lethal White by Robert Galbraith

English (56)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (59)
This is the fourth novel in a series that follows private detective Cormoran Strike, a retired Army Special Investigation Branch officer badly injured by an IED while on active service, and his principle assistant Robin Ellacott, a psychologically damaged woman drifting through temping jobs until she finds her metier as an investigator.

Here they find the threads of a mentally troubled young man who believes he saw a murder when he was a small boy and a blackmail threat against a government Minister turn into a murder investigation.

As always with this series, the personal relationships of the key characters (both with each other and with their partners, relatives and friends) are as important and as complex as the case they are trying to solve.

The talking - interviewing suspects and analysing what they think the suspects have told them - is very strong and the action plays in a very minor key. For all its length, I found the resolution to be rather rushed and perfunctory. ( )
  pierthinker | Mar 8, 2019 |
The novel opens finding Strike continuing to suffer from a poorly designed leg prosthetic and Robin, his partner, experiencing reoccurring PTSD experiences initiated by her encounter with the Shacklewell Ripper. While Strike is investigating Jimmy Knight, the leader of the Real Socialist Party, Jimmy's younger mentally-ill brother, Billy, in an agitated state, requests Strike's assistance in investigating an alleged murder and internment of a young girl she believes that he witnessed. However, before beginning this case, Strike receives a call from Parliament Minister Jasper Chiswell. He is being blackmailed by Geraint Winn, the husband of the sports minister. Chiswell wants to hire Strike and Robin on an unlimited expense account to find something in Winn's past that can be used to blackmail him. Since Jimmy Knight appears to also be involved in this blackmail attempt, Strike wonders if what Billy witnessed might be involved.

I continue to enjoy this series by Robert Galbraith, the pseudonym for Harry Potter's author J.K. Rowling. The novel begins slow as one would expect private detective's investigations to be but speeds up mid-novel when one of the primary characters is found dead by an apparent suicide. Rowling develops the distinctive personalities of the primary characters well. The working relationship between Strike and Robin strengthens while the marriage between Robin and her husbands becomes increasingly shaky. I continue to wait eagerly for the next adventures of Strike and Robin. ( )
  John_Warner | Feb 24, 2019 |
Private detective Cormoran Strike and his associate Robin Ellacott contine to solve murder mysteries while their attraction to each other grows stronger. After losing his leg in a war zone, Cormoran is struggling to make a financial success of his detective business, and many unsatisfactory personal relationships, while Robin is increasingly unhappy in her marriage to childhood sweetheart.. Cormoran is a heavy smoker who is constantly damaging his amputation site, so i hope the author has him quitting smoking soon, both for his sake and so R obin may enjoy a " fresh breath" romance in the future. ( )
  TheWasp | Feb 23, 2019 |
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed [Lethal
White] and have no complaints. Sure, yeah, there is a bit too much romantic ruminating, but I would say the length of the book is mostly due to a most complicated and sinuous plot that I did not unravel (although I did have my suspicions by the second half and which proved correct for the most part.) Anyhow Rowling/Galbraith is no worse than anyone else in the endlessly delayed gratification game of the mystery/thriller genre. If I had a complaint I suppose it would be that Robin doesn't seem to be learning to be more cautious and Cormoran is a dope about his limitations, but that is all part of the fun as well, innit? Need I go into any of the ins and outs? I'm sure others have done this for me. ****1/2 ( )
1 vote sibyx | Feb 14, 2019 |
The Cormoran Strike novels are some of my favorite Crime/Detective books. I'm not sure if it was because I've been so busy and haven't had much time to read and when I was reading it was a couple chapters at a time, but I had a hard time getting into this book. It seemed reeeeeeeeeally long. I still love Strike! Not sure I'm loving the relationship back and forth between Charlotte and Robin. I hate love triangles/love interests that go back and forth and hoping the next one won't continue what happened in this book. I thought it was alright. ( )
  MinDea | Feb 10, 2019 |
To Di and Roger,
and in memory
of the lovely white Spike
If only the swans would swim side by side on the dark green lake, this picture might turn out to be the crowning achievement of the wedding photographer's career.

"I seen a kid killed... He strangled it, up by the horse."

When Billy, a troubled young man, comes to private eye Cormoran Strike's office to ask for his help investigating a crime he thinks he witnessed as a child, Strike is left deeply unsettled. While Billy is obviously mentally distressed, and cannot remember many concrete details, there is something sincere about him and his story. But before Strike can question him further, Billy bolts from his office in a panic.

Trying to get to the bottom of Billy's story, Strike and Robin Ellacott - once his assistant, now a partner in the agency - set off on a twisting trail that leads them through the backstreets of London, into a secretive inner sanctum within Parliament, and to a beautiful but sinister manor house deep in the countryside.

And during this labyrinthine investigation, Strike's own life is far from straightforward: his newfound fame as a private eye means he can no longer operate behind the scenes as he once did. Plus, his relationship with his former assistant is more fraught than it ever has been - Robin is now invaluable to Strike in the business, but their personal relationship is much, much trickier than that.
A decades-old crime
Blackmail in House of Commons
A dead minister
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,469,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible