A Nun in the Closet by Dorothy Gilman

A Nun in the Closet (original 1975; edition 1984)

by Dorothy Gilman

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:A Nun in the Closet
Authors:Dorothy Gilman
Info:Fawcett (1984), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read, ebooks, Discard, Working on
Tags:Fic, Mystery, __scan_cover, !dunno, _Read2015

A Nun in the Closet by Dorothy Gilman (1975)

When the nuns of St. Tabatha Abbey received a letter informing them that a mysterious man named Joseph Moretti has left them his estate, two of the cloistered nuns are nominated to go investigate the property. Sister John and Sister Hyacinthe reach the old house and their cloistered world soon begins to fall apart. The house is dark and scary and the nuns start to think it might even be haunted by the ghost of Mr. Moretti. Searching for water they discover a suitcase full of money hidden down the well. Then they discover a wounded man who has been shot, hiding in an upstairs closet. He pleads with them, asking that they don't notify a doctor or the police, and asks for sanctuary. They disguise him as a nun but before long both the police and the mafia arrive.

The book was written in 1975 so it has a bit of a dated feel. The characters' plea for the townspeople to accept migrant workers is an issue that is just as relevant today. One of my favorite things about Dorothy Gilman's characters is that she doesn't find it necessary to stereotype mature women. A Nun in the Closet is a quick and easy read that has some humorous moments. While not as entertaining as the author's Mrs. Pollifax series, it was still an entertaining story.
  Olivermagnus | Jul 14, 2016 |
Oh, lord, this is ridiculous. Fun, and funny, and rich. I was in a rather sober mood when I started (no particular reason), so I merely smiled throughout with occasional laughs. I suspect that if I'd started off cheerful I'd have been rolling on the floor. A pair of cloistered nuns (which, in Gilman's definition, meant people who have totally ignored events outside their cloister since they joined the Order in 1955) must go out into the world to deal with a legacy of a house and land. It's the early '70s, there are migrant workers nearby and some "leftover hippies" trying to help them. And then there's the money in the well, and the wounded man hiding upstairs...and then things start to get interesting. I think I actually like (or rather, identify with) Sister Hyacinth more than Sister John - the latter is considerably more extroverted. Great story, and I will doubtless reread it. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 23, 2015 |
2018:
4 Stars. Audible. It was still fun....even more fun than it was the first time, since I have absolutely no recollection of reading it. This time around, I found it interesting to think how a fully cloistered nun would find the “modern” world...and I didn’t find Sister John unbelievable. Sister Hyacinth’s driving, on the other hand.... I was impressed that Gilman did the research on medicinal herbs, and on the plight of the migrant workers. Quite a cut above the Mrs. Pollifax series!

2015:
3.5 Stars. Kindle. A fast, mindless read, but still fun. The entire plot was beyond anyone's ability to suspend their disbelief, but sometimes that is exactly what is called for. Not fine literature, but any stretch of the imagination, but a good read nevertheless. ( )
  kaulsu | Oct 1, 2015 |
A Nun in the Closet is another great story written by Dorothy Gilman. Her character style is always entertaining and believable. The storyline may be set in the 70s but we still enjoy reading it today. This is a type of story you will want to keep in your library and read every year. It is filled with suspense, comedy and good, old-fashioned common sense. Yes, there is a mystery, good guys, bad guys and nun's solving the case. ( )
  Jolenemacinjax | Nov 12, 2014 |
Good potato chip book. Nuns inherit some property and find themselves meeting up with hippies and garbage collectors and migrants and all kinds of folks, while learning more about the world. Dorothy Gilman's humor works for me. This was a fun way to while away a few hours. ( )
  pammab | Aug 16, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449211673, Mass Market Paperback)

From the bestselling author of the Mrs. Pollifax books comes a new mystery habit to acquire. From the moment Sister John and Sister Hyacinthe reach the old house left to their abbey by a mysterious benefactor, their cloistered world begins to crumble. First, there is the wounded man hiding in the house, then the suitcase stuffed with money sitting at the bottom of the well, not to mention fearful apparitions in the night. Lord only knows what's going on. That is, until the good sisters, armed only with their faith and boundless energy, set things right--even if it means a shocking revelation or two about ghosts, gangsters...and murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:49 -0400)

From the moment Sister John and Sister Hyacinthe reach the old house left to their abbey by a mysterious benefactor, their cloistered world begins to crumble. First, there is the wounded man hiding in the house, then the suitcase stuffed with money sitting at the bottom of the well, not to mention fearful apparitions in the night. Lord only knows what's going on. That is, until the good sisters, armed only with their faith and boundless energy, set things right -- even if it means a shocking revelation or two about ghosts, gangsters ... and murder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,335,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible