Cal Ripken, Jr.: Play Ball! (Puffin…

Cal Ripken, Jr.: Play Ball! (Puffin Easy-to-Read, Level3)

by Cal Ripken

* (4) 1 copy (1) 3.3 (5) 2017 (1) 380L (3) 800 (1) audio (1) Baltimore Orioles (1) baseball (7) Baseball players (1) bio (1) biographies (1) biography (13) Cal Ripken (2) chapter book (1) collection (1) compare and contrast (1) E (2) easy reader (2) elementary (1) GRL N (2) hard work (1) Jr. (1) M (2) MA (1) N (2) non-fiction (2) paperback (1) sequencing (1) sports (9)

I really enjoyed this book, probably because it was about baseball, and I love all things sports. I think I would use this book in a 3rd or 4th grade classroom. I could use this book for sequencing purposes because there are a lot of dates. I could have students create a timeline of Cal Ripken Jr's life. I could also use this book for a compare/ contrast lesson. We could compare/contrast Cal Ripken Jr. and Lou Gehrig because they are similar players. I think students would like this book because it is about a sport they are familiar with and is very well-written about the challenges that Cal Ripken Jr. faced. ( )
  SalemSmith | Apr 11, 2016 |
This was a great autobiographical short chapter book for kids. It outlines Cal's life and what he accomplished throughout his baseball career. Known as baseball's Ironman, Cal is someone many kids could look up to
Media: Images
Use: Teaching importance of attendance; Relating to a boy who loves baseball.
Genre: Biographical ( )
  Bcruz14 | Mar 13, 2016 |
A simple biography of the highly honored player for the Baltimore Orioles, who in 1995 broke the record for playing the most games in a row.
  Cottonwood.School | Sep 25, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0141301848, Mass Market Paperback)

What is it like to be a major league ball player? Cal Ripken, Jr. plays third base for the Baltimore Orioles. In this autobiography for beginning readers, he talks about growing up in a baseball family, and about his love for the game. He reveals his primary goal? to play well and play every day. And he tells how, in 1995, he broke the record for playing the most games in a row. Here is Cal's story, with over 30 action-packed photographs and illustrations. Short sentences, important visual clues, and a lively text encourage young sports fans to become excited about reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,331,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible