So This Is How It Ends by Tui T. Sutherland

So This Is How It Ends (2006)

by Tui T. Sutherland

Other authors: Tara McPherson (Cover artist)

Series: Avatars (book 1)

Clever and engaging. The world-building is not as convincing or compelling as it ought to be, bu the characterization is excellent. A bit too high-concept -- overly concerned with its own conceits and backstory, but by the end has built up a good head of suspenseful steam. Basic knowledge of various mythologies adds to enjoyment and lends a great deal of dramatic irony; Sutherland has done her homework and uses the pantheons and their stories well. ( )
  jenspirko | Mar 5, 2013 |
Five teenagers end up seventy-five years in the future, in a post-apocalyptic world. Humans are on the verge of extinction, as no babies have been born in the last seventy-five years. It turns out that the five teens are avatars, the reincarnations of gods from the Greek, Egyptian, Meso-american, Hindu, and Polynesian pantheons. The gods brought their avatars to the future so they can fight the final battle to determine which pantheon will rule the world. The winning avatar will absorb the powers of the losing avatars to become the most powerful god ever.
This is a fantastic start to an awesome series that combines fantasy, mystery, and sci-fi with mythology. ( )
  soraki | Dec 27, 2010 |
Four teenagers are going about their lives when they find themselves in a bizarre new world. They each journey to discover what has happened and survive in this new place.

This book started out very promisingly. We got each character's point of view and they were all very engaging. I was dying to know what was going on. But about half to three quaters of the way the story started to bog down a little. Then the ending felt very rushed and the mythology twist really didn't work for me. I think I'll probably pick up the next one and if it hooks me I'll continue on with the series if not it's goodbye for this one. ( )
  readr | Dec 17, 2009 |
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

Kali lives in New York, and has a tendency to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe. Tigre lives in Chile. He likes animals better then people, but rainstorms make him a little twitchy and he usually ends up running in them. Sort-of. Venus is a perfect teenage pop-star that everyone adores. Almost. Amon is an Egyptian boy who thinks he's got it all figured out. And Gus is a normal teenager who lives in LA with his older brother.

You'd never imagine that any of them would ever have anything to do with each other. Much less something in common. Or that there was any way that most of them would ever meet. Most of them would agree with you.

But when the world seems to end, they are the ones left standing.

I just have to say, this was a really good book. In fact, the main reason I didn't give it a Gold Award was because the ending cliffhanger was so huge and dramatic and cliffhangery that I threw the book. It's just mean to do that when I don't have access to the next book! So, I suppose I'm being selfish in withholding the Gold Award, but it's frustrating! That, however, is a horrible reason to not read this book. Just be forewarned, and maybe have the next book coming soon.

Two more things:

Aside from the fact that there is a TV show called Avatar, and a movie in production called The Avatar, neither of which have anything to do with this story, I could totally see this as a movie. *Hint, Hint*

Tui Sutherland's website is adorable and hilarious, and I definitely recommend checking it out.

And no, I don't know her, but I bet she's cool. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 9, 2009 |
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book - and I look forward to the rest of the trilogy. When recommending the series to my students I tell them it has a little Percy Jackson and a little I Am Legend. ( )
  BJHlibrary | Oct 10, 2008 |

Tui T. Sutherlandprimary authorall editionscalculated
McPherson, TaraCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Adam, the person I'd want with me at the end of the world. And for Kari, because they all are, really.
By the time he got there, the hair salon was a smoking hole in the ground.

The end of the world is only the beginning

From New York to Los Angeles, Chile to Egypt, five teens awake to find their cities eerily deserted. Why have they survived when so many others haven't? What force connects them to one another? Moving north, south, east, and west, they are pulled together to fight the ultimate battle in a war they never knew about—a war that has been raging since the dawn of time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

During an earthquake in the year 2012 five teens are transported seventy-five years into the future, where the end of the world is imminent, and are drawn together by a mysterious force.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible