Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to…

Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster

by Laura Numeroff

129893,299 (4)None

This was not one of my favorite books, but the illustrations were awesome in it! I definitely think this is a book a little boy would enjoy especially since it is all about monsters. The illustrations were so colorful and elaborate that it just made the book so much fun to look it! ( )
  bbrelet | Mar 8, 2017 |
This book takes a child through the steps of buying a monster and taking care of it. It is cute because it gets children to use their imaginations throughout the book. It is a fun book to get children engaged in the reading. There are so many activities that can take place after reading this book. The story is just supposed to be fun and has kids enjoy reading it. ( )
  Emorrison | Oct 23, 2016 |
This was a hilarious book. I really liked it because of what it was about and also the illustrations. The book was a 10-step guidebook to living with a monster. The words were well written and it was fun to read. For example, “Hold his hand and make sure he gets a lollipop. Do not give him the green lollipops.” This line was from the instructions to take him to the vet. This would be fun for kids because most of them have pets so they could pretend that their pet is a monster to make this book more relatable. The illustrations helped the book along. Because the text was short on each page the pictures helped guide the book. There was no big picture of this book it is just for entertainment. ( )
  tsmith44 | Mar 30, 2014 |
I'm not really sure what to make of this book. I loved Laura Numeroff's If You Give A ... series, but this one didn't delight as much - with me or with my one-child audience. I'm not really quite sure that children, even on the older end, will get the spoof. And some parts I just didn't find all that funny. Example: "Step 9. Grooming your monster. Get your monster used to brushing his teeth. This won't be easy. Give your monster a bubble bath every month." Huh? That's not anywhere near as clever as Ms. Numeroff's prose in the If You Give A... series of books. Even the child I was babysitting was asking me why after that one, and I'm sorry to say I didn't have much of an explanation. I had thought this title would be fun, but I was disappointed to find that it fell short of expectations. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Feb 26, 2011 |
This book has AWESOME full page illustrations. This book explains how you can work with a child's imagination no matter what it is about. This book also reinforces numbers.

1 vote sadaniels | Nov 5, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0066238226, Hardcover)

Who wouldn't benefit from a few helpful hints about the care and feeding of pet monsters? In their handy how-to guide, bestselling author Laura Numeroff (If You Give a Mouse a Cookie) and monster illustrator extraordinaire Nate Evans are happy to oblige with such pearls of wisdom as, "When choosing a monster, do not pick one who grabs you and starts to eat your shirt," and "Always read your monster a bedtime story. Do not tell your monster to count sheep. Counting sheep will make him hungry." Numeroff's deadpan presentation of the 10 steps to selecting and living with a pet monster is the perfect foil to Evans's hilarious, rowdy pictures. Purple polka dots and big bug-eyes reign, as the puppy-like personality of the featured monster wreaks havoc all over his adoptive home. Ever since the animated film, Monsters, Inc., monsters have enjoyed a renaissance as lovable (if incorrigible) imaginary companions. Children with a soft spot for weird, warted beasts will adore the silliness of this lighthearted "manual." (Ages 3 to 7) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:45 -0400)

A guide to choosing and caring for your own pet monster, which includes useful information such as "monsters love country western music" and "monsters love to buy gum."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,568,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible