Sphere by Michael Crichton

Sphere (original 1987; edition 1988)

by Michael Crichton

Member:KingRat
Title:Sphere
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Ballantine Books (1988), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:science fiction, first contact, movie tie-in, read, in library, fiction, white author, aliens

Sphere by Michael Crichton (1987)

The Abyss by Orson Scott Card (VictoriaPL, saltmanz)
    Starfish by Peter Watts (Konran)
    Konran: Darker And Edgier underwater tale, including an alien (maybe) lifeform.

English (62)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (66)
I think I liked this one best of those of his I've read. More of a mystery with a science fiction background. It really was a page turner. I am, however, beginning to wonder if he really likes women at all. He keeps writing these power-mad, driven, hard-edged opportunists. His women are just not very nice. Oh well. At least he's writing juicy parts for women. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 23, 2014 |
Phenomenal and caused me to buy the movie and watch it again. Good movie but the book is still better. ( )
  tillywern | Sep 19, 2014 |
I enjoyed this novel so much!
I was totally hooked from the first chapter! It reminded me of Stargate and Stargate:Atlantis, a lot (totally not a bad thing!). That may be why I enjoyed it so much. I literally did not want to put it down and once I did, I was still thinking about the storyline and how it would progress! Even after I finished reading it, I was still thinking about the story and how it could have ended.

Definitely packing this one if I'm ever strained on a deserted island :-D

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Mar 18, 2014 |
forgettable ( )
  jdjdjd | Feb 4, 2014 |
Vlot geschreven boek met wat twists hier en daar. Ik kan niet echt aangeven wat fout was met het boek, maar toch wil ik het niet 5 sterren geven. :P Er is íets wat me met een ietwat leeg gevoel achterlaat.

Verder wel gewoon van genoten, dus zeker 4 sterretjes! ( )
  DulleNL | Oct 25, 2013 |

Michael Crichtonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hunt, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When a scientist views things, he's not considering the incredible at all.
Louis I. Kahn
You can't fool nature.
Richard Feynman
For Lynn Nesbit
For a long time the horizon had been a monotonous flat blue line separating the Pacific Ocean from the sky.
Wanneer een wetenschapsman dingen in ogenschouw neemt, houdt hij absoluut geen rekening met het ongelooflijke. (Louis I. Kahn) De natuur kun je niet voor de gek houden. (Richard Feynman)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345353145, Mass Market Paperback)

Jurassic Park author Michael Crichton is possibly the best science teacher for the masses since H.G. Wells, and Sphere, his thriller about a mysterious spherical spaceship at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, is classic Crichton. A group of not-very-complex characters (portrayed in the film by Sharon Stone, Dustin Hoffman, Samuel L. Jackson, and Queen Latifah) assemble to solve a cleverly designed roller coaster of a mystery while attempting (with mixed success) to avoid sudden death and expounding (much more successfully) on the latest, coolest scientific ideas, including the existence of black holes. Somehow, Crichton manages to convey the complicated stuff in utterly simplistic prose, making him, as his old pal Steven Spielberg puts it, "the high priest of high concept." Yet there is more to Crichton than science and big-ticket show biz. He is also, as any reader of his startling memoir Travels knows, a bit of a mystic--he is entirely open to notions spouted by spoon-bending psychics that most science writers would scorn. Sphere is not only a gratifying sci-fi suspense tale; it also reflects Crichton's keen interest in the unexplained powers of the human mind. When something passes through a black hole in Crichton's fiction, a lesson is learned. The book also contains another profound lesson: when you're staring down a giant squid with an eyeball the size of a dinner plate, don't blink first.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:08 -0400)

A group of scientists journey to the bottom of the sea to explore a sunken spaceship in this thriller from the author of The Andromeda Strain (1969). A group of American scientists are rushed to a huge vessel that has been discovered resting on the ocean floor in the middle of the South Pacific. What they find defines their imaginations and mocks their attempts at logical explanation. It is a spaceship of phenomenal dimensions, apparently, undamaged by its fall from the sky. And, most startling, it appears to be at least three hundred years old.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible