The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey

The Monkey Wrench Gang (1975)

by Edward Abbey, Edward Abbey

Series: Monkey Wrench Gang (1)

Recently added byCVPres, private library, emelyj, Ashlad, wasyk, aaproper1, Haubruge, Whitefang4

Abbey at his best! Should be of particular interest to environmental activist, anarchist and those familiar with Northern Arizona. ( )
  Charlie_Boling | Apr 19, 2017 |
As relevant today as it was 40 years ago. Message loud and clear, written in delightful prose, to protect our earth. To stop the destruction of our land and preserve nature. To prevent big business from raping our land, mountains, rivers, prairies for profit. ( )
  Alphawoman | Jan 7, 2017 |
The 4th or 5th time I've read the book....probably the last. Still an excellent read, full of one-liners, but sad all at the same time. Humans never learn and we continue to mess up our home for money/power. Most people alive on this planet, even the so-called environmentalists, don't seem to care. This is a good book, but that's all it is, a book. Virtually nobody that I know is or has done a thing to make life on this planet a bit better....and I worked for the NPS for 15 years! Sad.... ( )
  untraveller | Mar 1, 2016 |
Zany characters and a zany plot make for a fun read. ( )
  VashonJim | Sep 6, 2015 |
Another book I have no idea when I finished it or why it didn't get a review. I liked it, of course. How could a crazy hippie like me not like this book? I have fantasies about keeping a chainsaw in the back of my car and cutting down billboards now. Note to Homeland Security: if billboards are destroyed in my area, it's totally a coincidence. I have an alibi. ( )
1 vote greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |

Edward Abbeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abbey, Edwardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Brinkley, DouglasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crumb, R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061129763, Paperback)

Ed Abbey called The Monkey Wrench Gang, his 1975 novel, a "comic extravaganza." Some readers have remarked that the book is more a comic book than a real novel, and it's true that reading this incendiary call to protect the American wilderness requires more than a little of the old willing suspension of disbelief. The story centers on Vietnam veteran George Washington Hayduke III, who returns to the desert to find his beloved canyons and rivers threatened by industrial development. On a rafting trip down the Colorado River, Hayduke joins forces with feminist saboteur Bonnie Abbzug, wilderness guide Seldom Seen Smith, and billboard torcher Doc Sarvis, M.D., and together they wander off to wage war on the big yellow machines, on dam builders and road builders and strip miners. As they do, his characters voice Abbey's concerns about wilderness preservation ("Hell of a place to lose a cow," Smith thinks to himself while roaming through the canyonlands of southern Utah. "Hell of a place to lose your heart. Hell of a place... to lose. Period"). Moving from one improbable situation to the next, packing more adventure into the space of a few weeks than most real people do in a lifetime, the motley gang puts fear into the hearts of their enemies, laughing all the while. It's comic, yes, and required reading for anyone who has come to love the desert. --Gregory McNamee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:49 -0400)

Ex-Green Beret George Hayduke returns from war to find his beloved southwestern desert threatened by industrial development. Joining with Bronx exile and feminist saboteur Bonnie Abzug, wilderness guide and outcast Mormon Seldom Seen Smith, and libertarian billboard torcher Doc Sarvis, M.D., Hayduke is ready to fight the power. They (the Monkey Wrench Gang) take on the strip miners, clear-cutters, and the highway, dam, and bridge builders who are threatening the natural habitat in this is a comedic novel of destructive mayhem and outrageous civil disobedience.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,079,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible