Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of…

Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts

by Alvin Townley

I picked up my Dad's copy of the book after finding it sitting out on the table and it was over an hour later before I finally put it down to go to bed. Townley takes readers on a journey through not only the history of the Boy Scouts, but the history of America through many of its heroes. From the Flying Tigers to 9/11, from Vietnam Helo pilots to NASA astronauts, Eagle Scouts have helped shape our society. ( )
  Abby_K. | Mar 30, 2013 |
  Abby_K. | Mar 30, 2013 |

Over the past century, America's Eagle Scouts have earned a reputation for service, virtue, and leadership that is recognized throughout the world. But few people realize the full extent to which Eagle Scouts have made a mark on American history. They have served as astronauts, soldiers, politicians, and businessmen, but they have also been the fathers, brothers, Scoutmasters, coaches, and other role models who have played an integral part in American life.

Alvin Townley set out across the country to hear the stories of these Eagle Scouts. He spoke with individuals from every region, of every age and every background, some of whom have risen to fame as public figures while others have left a lasting impact outside of the spotlight.

The Eagle Scouts who share their experiences include Bill Gates, Sr., Bill Bradley, J. W. Marriott, Jr., Ross Perot, Michael Bloomberg, Richard Lugar, Michael Dukakis, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson, coach Chan Gailey, and Capt. Jim Lovell of Apollo 13. The book also explores the virtues of a Tuskegee Airman, a Vietnam War POW, a September 11 NYPD hero, a crew of Hurricane Katrina relief workers, and a host of others from every walk of life.

During his journey, Alvin discovered stories of character, courage, and inspiration that belong not only to Eagle Scouts but to all Americans. These stories form the heart of Legacy of Honor and offer us a chance to appreciate the profound impact that Eagle Scouts have had on American history and the lasting role they will play in our country's future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:08 -0400)

Explores the impact Eagle Scouts have had on American history, profiling Eagle Scouts who have gone on to become astronauts, soldiers, politicians, and businessmen, as well as members of society who have played an integral part in American life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible