The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein

The Door into Summer (1957)

by Robert A. Heinlein

2,682362,211 (3.87)1 / 90
Recently added bydrcmg, PhxDan, Dale_White, perridox, SteveWollett, private library, JeanGoodrich, gurpsgm

English (33)  French (2)  Russian (1)  All languages (36)
Heinlein at his best. First-person narrative, as is most of his material. Also includes Pete the Cat. ( )
  Dale_White | Jul 28, 2014 |
Known as one of Heinlein's classics, this adventure is fun and compulsively readable, full of humor and great characters. It is hilariously dated, as the character jumps forward from 1970 to 2000, and Heinlein's vision of 2000 isn't any more accurate than you'd expect, but this is still my favorite of the time-travel novels I've wandered through. Heinlein's plots and characters are perfectly balanced, and the narrative is fast-moving without losing any of the character depth that comes with a great story. While the ending of one sub-plot made me cringe a bit, it didn't come near ruining the novel, and I'd recommend this on to any readers curious about Heinlein's work or just looking for a fast-paced good story.

Recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jun 13, 2014 |
It’s 1970 and inventor Daniel Boone Davis is in trouble. He’s been hornswoggled by his best friend and business partner Miles and their company’s bookkeeper Belle, whom D.B. is engaged to. He winds up in suspended animation, “cold sleep,” until 2000. When he is awakened, he has nothing and no idea how to find Ricky, Miles’s stepdaughter who called D.B. “Uncle Danny” and whom our hero is inordinately fond of.

A friend loaned me her copy of this sci-fi/fantasy novel after I told her I liked reading about time travel. The only book of Heinlein’s that I’d read before was Stranger in a Strange Land – and that was decades ago.

The Door into Summer, written in 1956, is interesting on a lot of levels. First, it’s a sweet story with a fairly simple plot, a revenge tale par excellence. It’s interesting to delve into the author’s speculation about what the world would be like in 1970 and 2000. For example, in 2000, there are robots galore to accomplish the mundane tasks of life. But there are no personal computers and no Internet, so D.B. is forced to search for Ricky the old fashioned way, through paper records.

Heinlein’s writing is very straightforward, and The Door into Summer is a short and quick read. That is in stark contrast to my favorite sci-fi author, Connie Willis, whose meaty tomes can be used as door-stops. According to Wikipedia, The Door into Summer is one of the best sci-fi novels of all times. With my limited reading in the sci-fi genre, I’m no judge of that. But I really enjoyed The Door into Summer and its great characters. ( )
  NewsieQ | May 25, 2014 |
It had been a very long time since the last time I read this book. It's still fun, and I still love it, but the first time I read it, I was perhaps 10 or 11, at most. It's a different world than Heinlein was writing in, and certainly a different world than he envisioned.

Still, Pete the cat will always have a warm place in my heart, and I'll still continue to search for the door into summer myself. Maybe someday I'll find it...

Not everything ages well. This book is more fun if you've lived in (or at least understand) the times when it was written. It's one of my favorites. ( )
  Lyndatrue | May 20, 2014 |

For
A. P. and Phyllis
Mick and Annette
Aelurophiles All
One winter shortly before the Six Weeks War my, tomcat, Petronius the Arbiter, and I lived in an old farmhouse in Connecticut.
Le suicide est une expérience trop définitive, même en des circonstances mathématiquement intrigantes.
Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345330129, Mass Market Paperback)

Dan Davis was tricked by an unscrupulous business partner and a greedy fiancee into spending thirty years in suspended animation just when he was on the verge of a success beyond his wildest dreams. But when he awoke in the future, he discovered he had the means to travel back in time -- and get his revenge!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:40 -0400)

Success is in reach when electronics engineer Dan Davis invents a household robot that could do almost anything. His greedy partner and fiance trick him into a long sleep--suspended animation for thirty years. But he discovers he has the ability to travel back in time and seek revenge after the is awoken in a different world in A.D. 2000.… (more)

64 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible