The Enemy Within by John Creasey

The Enemy Within (1950)

by John Creasey

711,138,814 (3)None

This is not the usual John Creasey fare where the story centres around brave and dashing young men (and, occasionally, girls) winning out against fearful odds. The protagonist here, Corliss, is a man consumed by hatred who seeks revenge against his country, and in particular his country's secret service, who he blames for the death of his father during the war. Working for a mysterious group of Russians, Corliss is thrown into the path of Department Z in such a way that they are certain to snap him up as a valuable recruit. This happens as planned and Corliss becomes the enemy within Department Z.

Corliss is a deeply unpleasant individual whose character disintegrates as the book progresses. The twists at the end took me by surprise — I was expecting something to turn things around, but not what actually happened.

Not a bad read, but I don't want to spend any more time in Corliss' company, so I won't be re-reading this one. ( )
  Kindleifier | Jun 15, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,244,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible