A Stolen Season by Steve Hamilton

A Stolen Season

by Steve Hamilton

A Stolen Season starts out on two fronts. On the one end, Alex McKnight unintentionally gets involved with some unsavory characters when he and his friend Leon save three guys in a boating accident from drowning. It later turns out that the guys are mixed up in some illegal drug trafficking between the United States and Canada. Because something of value was lost during the accident, the guys think that either Alex, or one of his friends, have it. They start putting the pressure on Alex, and he immediately begins to hit back, not realizing the caliber of people that he's dealing with and how dangerous they are. Alex will underestimate the guys and ultimately find himself standing on a bluff with a handgun pointed at his face, waiting to die. On the second front, Alex's girlfriend, Natalie Reynaud, has moved to Toronto to do undercover work for the police department there. Her job is to get close to the girlfriend of one of the most terrifying men that she's ever met and to hopefully break up a ring of gun smugglers. Something eventually happens that brings the two fronts together, driving Alex McKnight to the edge of despair at the tragedy that has erupted in his life.

Steve Hamilton has created a series that's every bit as good as anything James Lee Burke or Robert Parker has written. Once you get started on one of the "Alex McKnight" books, you'll want to read them all. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This is my favorite series and I have looked forward to each one in the series. This time I anticipated some of the action. I recommend this series to everyone and I usually tell them that it isn't important to read them in order but this book is the first one that I would say that it would be better if they read the last book or two instead of jumping in here. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |
Read 6/8/11. This is the 7th book in the series, the most current, with an 8th book, Misery Bay, out yesterday; MB is the first new book in the series in almost 5 years, and it seems that the author may have taken a break at the right moment. I have skipped two, and while I have enjoyed the series to this point, I may not continue, and I am unlikely to read the two I've skipped. (I've not read The Lock Artist yet, an Edgar winner, a stand alone novel, and I look forward to it.) With this book I felt I was reading too much of the same thing, and I didn't get too excited about the story. Deals with running weapons across the border, some bad guys from Detroit, another ultra powerful bad guy from Canada who is dispatched rather conveniently I thought given what a super dude he was supposed to be. And Alex loses a close friend, and mourns in a manner that I thought was uncharacteristic. So I didn't think that this was a super book from the author, but maybe I've just grown tired of the series. ( )
  maneekuhi | Jun 8, 2011 |
Great book
  bsoderbloom | Oct 8, 2009 |
A new take on the hardboiled detective genera. Somehow although the plot is typical, but nicely updated, I was left with a rather positive take on what might seem to be rather hackneyed story line. ( )
  alice443 | Oct 3, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312355017, Mass Market Paperback)

On a freezing night in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, a night that wouldn’t feel so unusual if it wasn’t the Fourth of July, an antique wooden boat plows full-speed into a line of old railroad pilings in the shallow waters of Waishkey Bay. With Alex McKnight on the rescue mission, the passengers are brought safely to shore. Alex figures the story’s over…but he’s dead wrong.

The boat accident’s happy ending turns into a living hell for Alex when he discovers that the three men he saved are actually connected to a deadly drug-smuggling syndicate that has his girlfriend, Ontario police officer Natalie Reynaud, deep undercover five hundred miles away. Now it’s up to Alex to do damage control on both sides of the border—and protect the woman he loves—before the cycle of violence comes around full circle…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:20 -0400)

While enjoying fireworks on the edge of Lake Superior, Alex McKnight and his former partner come to the aid of three men in the wreck of an antique wooden boat, a rescue that draws Alex into a deadly confrontation with gun smugglers and drug dealers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,755,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible