Operation Whisper: The Capture of Soviet…

Operation Whisper: The Capture of Soviet Spies Morris and Lona Cohen

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
You've heard of the Rosenbergs, but you've probably never heard of the Cohens, Morris and Lona, who pulled off a spectacular bit of Cold War espionage ... then disappeared.

The story starts out with young, idealistic communists in the 1930s and comes to its first climax with the theft of blueprints for the atomic bomb.

As the Rosenbergs were rounded up for their spying (for a much smaller secret), the Cohens ran.

Soon, in England, Peter and Helen Kroger mysteriously showed up and start selling books. And stealing secrets.

Eventually they are caught, and thus ends the first great round of East vs. West.

This is a Cold War tale that's riveting in it's scope and detail. Carr weaves his tale with the everyday ins and outs of being a spy.

I received this book for review.

Read more of my reviews at Ralphsbooks. ( )
  ralphz | Jul 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For the Cold War/True Spy enthusiast this is a must. Parts 1 and 2 focus on the biography/recruitment and early work of the Cohens -- a couple that most have never heard of. Part 3 shifts the focus to the search for and apprehension of the Cohen's English spy ring. The book is very well researched and largely well written. The only drawback is the author's occasional asides. An enjoyable read over the weekend. ( )
  Hedgepeth | Sep 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed reading this book, and learning more about this era. At times it was difficult to follow who was who, and I found myself going back pages to remind myself of the different parts that everyone played. Lots of information! Definitely recommend this book! ( )
  CharlesSvec | Jun 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This spy couple did more damage than the Rosenbergs, but you've probably never heard of them. I picked this up because I hoped to learn more about how these spies collected top secret atomic secrets and forwarded them to the Soviets. This book presents you with a great deal of information, but I think it still lacked some of the details I had hoped for. I found the book crowded with tons of details that didn't seem relevant to the story (to me). So many people are introduced aside from the Cohens that I quickly lost track of who was who. Several reviewers have said this reads like a novel, but I have to disagree. It took me forever to get through this; probably because it felt more like a catalog of Soviet spies than the story of the Cohens.

Not a bad choice if you love Cold War spy stories, but probably a bit too dense for the casual reader. ( )
  LISandKL | Jun 21, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I chose to read and write a review on this book because i had never heard of Morris and lona Cohen. I was very familiar with the Rosenbergs, but not the Cohens. This book is a well written, detail packed novel on the life of two Soviet spies before and during world war two. The book gets cumbersome at times because of the details and many characters who play a role in their lives. This book reads like a spy novel, devoid of the fiction. ( )
  milkmanson | Jun 18, 2016 |
This book is for JOHN CURTIS CARR, brother and friend
Imagine that a trusted colleague bursts into your living room one steamy afternoon and informs you that you must give up the life you now enjoy.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Operation Whisper: The Capture of Soviet Spies Morris and Lona Cohen was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,698,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible