dismiss

Tiamat's Wrath by James S. A. Corey

Tiamat's Wrath (edition 2020)

by James S. A. Corey (Author)

Series: The Expanse (8)

The eighth book in the NYT bestselling Expanse series, Tiamat's Wrath finds the crew of the Rocinante fighting an underground war against a nearly invulnerable authoritarian empire, with James Holden a prisoner of the enemy. Now a Prime Original series. Thirteen hundred gates have opened to solar systems around the galaxy. But as humanity builds its interstellar empire in the alien ruins, the mysteries and threats grow deeper. In the dead systems where gates lead to stranger things than alien planets, Elvi Okoye begins a desperate search to discover the nature of a genocide that happened before the first human beings existed, and to find weapons to fight a war against forces at the edge of the imaginable. But the price of that knowledge may be higher than she can pay. At the heart of the empire, Teresa Duarte prepares to take on the burden of her father's godlike ambition. The sociopathic scientist Paolo Cortázar and the Mephistophelian prisoner James Holden are only two of the dangers in a palace thick with intrigue, but Teresa has a mind of her own and secrets even her father the emperor doesn't guess. And throughout the wide human empire, the scattered crew of the Rocinante fights a brave rear-guard action against Duarte's authoritarian regime. Memory of the old order falls away, and a future under Laconia's eternal rule -- and with it, a battle that humanity can only lose -- seems more and more certain. Because against the terrors that lie between worlds, courage and ambition will not be enough... The Expanse Leviathan Wakes Caliban's War Abaddon's Gate Cibola Burn Nemesis Games Babylon's Ashes Persepolis Rising Tiamat's Wrath The Expanse Short Fiction The Butcher of Anderson Station Gods of Risk The Churn The Vital Abyss Strange Dogs… (more)
Member:sullijo
Title:Tiamat's Wrath
Authors:James S. A. Corey (Author)
Info:Orbit (2020), Edition: Reprint, 576 pages
Tags:@home, fiction, science fiction, Expanse series

Tiamat's Wrath by James S. A. Corey

One of the better entries in this series. Plot! Action! Loss! This has it all. ( )
  goliathonline | Jul 7, 2020 |
The eighth of the planned nine volumes in the Expanse series continues to do what it intends to do -- space adventure that's not just one space battle after another, though this has more battles than others in the series. Like the previous volumes, this is told in chapters that rotate through a handful of perspectives. The Expanse series has been a bit playful with this structure, from volume to volume. Here the switch is that Holden, the central hero, who has been one of the perspectives in the seven preceding volumes, is demoted to being mostly offstage, with only a prelude, interlude, and postlude. Also against expectations: though Holden was captured in the previous book, this book is not about his crew's attempt to rescue him. They are too busy waging a rebellion for that. Age and death are central themes, but the book is more reflective than grim.

My one complaint is that so many books in the series have been about one group of humans fighting another, while an ever greater threat awaits. Fortunately, the conclusion of this book makes it clear that volume nine will finally focus on what matters.

Recommended, but don't start here. This series is really one very long story. ( )
1 vote ChrisRiesbeck | Jul 3, 2020 |
Wow. Just wow.

I'm really afraid to say just about anything for fear of spoiling the crap out of this novel. It's just one of those things. I mean, I counted three times I cried and I won't tell you whether it is tears of rage, sadness, or happiness. That would be TELLING, you know?

But if I'm okay with being all general and gushy and stuff, and if anyone has read any of my reviews, they know I am, then I'll just go, "Oh, wow, What A NOVEL."

Duarte's Empire and the Resistance. There are no whiny nerf-herders or death stars here. Just protomolecule goodness, real developments along the line of What Killed Them, and more delicious characters than I can shake a Roci at.

Some of the dialogues were something wildly special to me. Heartwarming in a way only our loveable stone-killer Amos (as Timothy) can make anything. :) And then there's the way Holden plays a long game. :)

And then there's... but no spoilers. I was speechless multiple times. I had to consciously force a breath after I started turning purple.

And I couldn't help but ask myself why the authors gave special props to GRRM over and above their long, real friendship. I suspect it's the whole, oh, you know, let's KILL some people bits. Maybe. Well, I'll let you folks find out for yourselves.

BUT DAMN MY HEART IS TORN TO SHREDS. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I don't think I could review this book without spoilers, but it wowed me, and angered me, and is generally VERY VERY good. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |
The Expanse is back. Not that it was really gone to begin with, but this novel both upends everything and reminds us of why we cared about the series in the first place. Cannot wait for the ninth installment. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |
For all of the intrigue, manipulation, and combat that form the book’s plot points, gentler relationships also run through the whole story: love, loyalty, trust, comradeship, respect, and compassion.

Time passes. The things you love lose their lustre. Your nearest and dearest die. And sooner or later, it dawns on you that you will too. So when you see the end ahead, what then? Well, if you’re anything like the friends who became a family aboard the gunship Rocinante, you do what you’ve always done: you fight for what’s right, even when what’s right is difficult to picture in a galaxy gone wrong on your watch.
added by g33kgrrl | editTor.com, Niall Alexander (Mar 28, 2019)

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Annarita GuarnieriTraduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To George R. R. Martin
Good mentor, better friend
Chrisjen Avasarala was dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,811,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible