City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an Advance Review Copy of this book through the LT Early Reviewer Program.

This is the third and last book of the Divine Cities series by Bennett. This series contains one of the two most original milieus in modern fantasy, IMHO, with the other being Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence. The world-building is superb, detailed and different. The fantasy plot elements are reminiscent to both Gladstone and N. K. Jemisin, another outstanding and original fantasy author, in that Divinity is interacting with the mundane world and drives several important elements of the plot. This final book is told from Sigrud's POV, although we do get to see key figures from previous books, and drives to a final climax that illuminates many things from previous books. A worthy finale to an excellent series. ( )
  ronincats | Jun 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I felt lucky to have been chosen to review City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett. A few years back I was chosen to review City of Stairs which I liked enough to give a copy as a secret Santa this last Christmas. it is a little strange reading the third book without reading the second. Still it is easy enough to put the pieces together to follow the story. This book focuses on Sigurd who was introduced in the first book as Shara's partner/henchman. As pointed out by others this was a slower read than the first book mainly for me because I found Shara to be a more dynamic character and some of the plot was more predictable.

Still I enjoyed the book immensely, love the world Bennet created. To me it echoes the Balkans or old Germany much the way old Universal Frankenstein movies did. I mention them because time seems equally fluid as in those movies. And that may be another reason this book doesn't grab me as much as City of Stairs. The world isn't as one of the characters as much as it was in the first book. Having been established it seems Bennett spends less time telling us about the other cities.
Still I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend the series even though I now have to hunt down the second book. ( )
  twolfe360 | Jun 17, 2017 |
This is the third book in the trilogy that started with City of Stairs and City of Blades, set in a fantasy world of dead gods who are not, it turns out, quite as dead as they were believed to be.

I like this series a lot. The world-building is good, especially the depiction of the various divinities and their miracles, which have just exactly the right feeling of unknowable strangeness to them. The characters are great, too, and the plots are great. And there are some nice, meaty themes. I think perhaps I liked the first one best. At least, it's certainly the one whose story grabbed me the strongest and kept me turning pages the fastest. This one -- which, like the previous volume, jumps many years forward in time and puts us (mostly) into the POV of a different main character -- didn't have nearly that same read-past-your-bedtime effect on me, but it's still pretty great, and it ends the series in an interesting, unexpected, and generally pretty satisfying way. ( )
  bragan | Jun 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love this series! It's so unique! This book follows Sigrud as he investigates the murder of his former employer/friend Shara. The previous books always lead us to believe that now, finally, all the old gods and all their creations/miracles have finally been wiped out...only to find that yet again, that's not true. Now the remnants of the old, dead gods are trying to become gods in their own right.

Great addition to the series! ( )
  BeckahRah | Jun 6, 2017 |
To Harvey:
Hello, baby. Welcome to Earth. This place is pretty swell, and I recommend you stick around for awhile. You never know, it might get even better: Maybe. We're trying, at least. We're trying.
The young man is first disdainful, then grudgingly polite as Rahul Khadse approaches and asks him for a cigarette.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Robert Jackson Bennett's book City of Miracles is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible