City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Everyone's favorite operative shines in this conclusion to the Divine Cities trilogy. The book brings together the remaining key members of the first two novels, each in their own way, to fight the final battle. New characters are introduced that help develop the (generally fast paced) story. There are a couple of instances where the story seemed to drag a bit, but the action and plot picked back up quickly.

The end is what one would expect, though there were a couple of twists to finish off the story. Amazing how quickly the book sped to its conclusion. ( )
  grayhunter | Mar 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I felt this was a fitting end to the series. It nicely wraps up the story for nearly all of the loose threads left by the two other books. Bennett has developed a very clear voice for this setting and these characters and, as always at the end of a series, I'm going to miss them. But damn, what a ride! ( )
  donaldmcobb | Mar 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A bit disappointing. I was quite enjoying this until about the midpoint and then a number of factors dragged it down for me. The genre here is (for the most part) fantasy thriller. I would harken it to James Bond with magic. It was an interesting blend of action-packed and fantastical until about halfway through. The turning point for me was a fierce battle occurring on a sky tram. The scene reminded me too literally of a James Bond fight sequence such as might have been in Moonraker. Although the mechanics were different, the similarity felt obvious. The rest of the book could easily have recovered, however it was dragged down by the characters and tone.

This novel is third in a series, so I have no doubt I missed some subtleties in character evolution. But there was a female lead character, Shara, the hero’s former partner/boss/friend(?), who is positioned as having “retired” from the espionage game and instead became a political leader. As Shara was introduced into this story, I found her extremely maudlin. Sappy and full of sincere platitudes. Not only was she rather one-dimensional but also far-fetched for someone who formerly was the handler of an assassin/espionage team. Now she seeks to take care of orphans? Her nature bled through the tone of the second half of the book, which struck me as overly emotional and weighing down the energy and drive of the story.

In the end, I found City of Miracles ponderous and cloying. I think the author was trying too hard to give his characters profound endings, but it came across as melodrama.

Disclaimer: I received this book free, through a LibraryThing book giveaway. ( )
  David_David_Katzman | Mar 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this ARC free through LTER in exchange for a review.

In my review of the previous book in this series, I believe I called for MOAR SIGRUD!!! This is Sigrud's story. I'm not sure whether the book will make sense without reading the previous two; certainly it would lack the emotional depth. But if you've read Bennett's previous two books, City of Stairs and City of Blades, this book is a very satisfying conclusion.

In City of Miracles we learn more about Sigrud: his past, his pain, that thing on his hand. Sigrud has to make plenty of tough decisions in this book (no spoilers!) and there is some loss and violence and pain. There is also redemption and humor, especially in seeing things from inside Sigrud's head. My favorite scene was the one near the end of the book where he's driving the car... well, you'll see. Pick it up. ( )
  reconditereader | Mar 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Despite winning this from Early Reviewers, I was a bit leery of reading it. Sure, it's a fantasy novel, which is the genre I read most, but it's also the third volume of a series. I have read the first volume, City of Stairs, back when it was offered in ER two years ago, but for some reason volume 2, City of Blades, was never offered on ER (and while I enjoyed volume 1, I didn't enjoy it enough to remember to buy volume 2). This meant that I wasn't entirely sure how well I would be able to follow the plot.

Luckily, despite not remembering any of the characters and only having a vague recall of the worldbuilding, I could still follow this book with no problems. The book starts off with the assassination of a former prime minister who also used to be a spy. Then the guy who used to provide muscle for her in her spy days comes out of hiding, goes ballistic, and kills the assassins. Then he discovers there's a sinister plot behind it involving the children of deities.

It's a good book with decent characters and an exciting, fast-paced plot. It's a fun read that's not too hard to follow without having read volume 2 (and probably 1 as well), but it probably would have been better if I had read them both. ( )
  yoyogod | Mar 4, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible