City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
City of Miracles starts strong and never weakens. Taking place more than a decade after the events of City of Blades, the reader gets to see the consequences of the choices made in the previous book and how they've effected the world. New conspiracies are afoot and it's up to Sigrud to save the day - a bit of a handful for him this time around.

Fantastic end to the trilogy - if you enjoyed the first two books, you have to read this. It's fantastic.

Disclaimer: Review copy received through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer's program. ( )
  anneb10 | Apr 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"City of Miracles" is the third book in The Divine Cities series by Robert Jackson Bennett and I think it's the best of the trilogy. What a vast universe Bennett has created and how well the main characters are developed over the course of books. This fictional world is populated by divine and semi-divine beings, strong females, frighteningly evil creatures, and all manner of heroes. There are beautifully described urban settings, fantastical imaginative architecture, sea adventures, and lovely quiet moments with cups of tea. The first book of the trilogy focused on world-building and a wily female spy named Shara Komayd and her strongman sidekick Sigrud. The second book was more militaristic and focused on Turyin Mulaghesh, a strong female general/governor and all around bad-ass. City of Miracles is centered around Sigrud's story - and there's more to this huge, strong man than meets the eye. I feel that much is gained by reading all of books in order, especially to understand the author's messages about the inevitability of time, the real dangers of ultimate power, the foolishness of bureaucracies and politics, and the strength of true hearts in the face of impossible odds. ( )
  KatyBee | Apr 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Whew! The final installment in Bennett's “Divine Cities” really is an action-packed thriller, and the best of a very fine series. We mostly see things from Sigrud's perspective, and, since he's always been the best character and has now become sympathetic almost to the point of cuddliness, this is a very fine thing. While the “hidden” identity of Shara's daughter, when finally revealed, was as expected, the actual resolution of the problem with this world's too-powerful gods, really did surprise me and delight me!

My minor quibbles would be that the Big final conflict, after so many edge-of-one's seat, “Jason Bourne battles the villain on the roof of the skyscraper” conflicts, drags. And the centrality of self-absorbed, angsty teenagers gets a wee bit tiresome, though perhaps this will only be an issue for readers who already have their own moody teens to delight them. Finally, I can't be the only one who finds Shara so cool and analytical that her possible demise doesn't trouble me a bit. Not that there's any shortage of danger and loss here, what with the Fate of Mankind hanging in the balance and all, but the strands of the story that pertain to Shara's fate hang rather loose for me.

Nitpicking aside, “City of Miracles” is a high speed adventure in a persuasively realized world. Building on what he established in the earlier two books, Bennett carries us from end to end of his creation, and even out among the stars. We revisit Bulikov, where we first met Shara and Sigrud, and get to spend a little more time with the wonderful Mulaghesh, the protagonist of “City of Blades,” and to better know Ivanya Restroyka, a minor character from “City of Stairs.” The book's ending, particularly, is beautifully done and far more satisfactory than I ever would have expected. A fine ending to a fine series.

I received this book, an “uncorrected proof” copy, from LibraryThing through their Early Reviewers program with the understanding that the content of my review would not affect my likelihood of receiving books through the program in the future. Many thanks to Broadway Books, Robert Jackson Bennett, and LibraryThing! ( )
  meandmybooks | Apr 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It had been a while since I read the first book in this series, so even though I liked many parts of it (mostly relating to the divinities) I remembered very little about Shara, whom I didn't really connect with, or Sigrud, whom I remembered being over-the-top. I read the middle volume, City of Blades, immediately prior to this final installment and liked it a LOT. It made me very excited to continue to get more exposure to the divinities in this world, but I was not as eager to follow Sigrud and leave Mulaghesh behind.

For me, this volume was my least favorite, just because of personal taste. What I had liked most about these books were the expressions of the divinities. I often feel like gods in fantasy series often tend too much toward just 'powered-humans-in-the-sky' whereas the divinities in this series had an otherworldy, alien-like remove. They were real, but they were also metaphor, and I found that utterly fascinating.

The plot for this book humanizes the next generation of the divinities, which was a detraction for me so I was just dissatisfied by the way things turned out. I am glad that Sigrud had a reason for being so over the top, and I did enjoy all the other characters. It's still a really great series that I would recommend. I just think that the middle volume was so good that this last one didn't have the same impact. ( )
  macsbrains | Apr 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An action packed fantasy where everything is laid out on the table, questions from previous books are answered, and a great conclusion to a great series. This book follows Sigrud, who was a side character in the the first 2 books. It keeps the dark tone, but has more of an action adventure feel than the murder mystery feel of the previous books. There is less intrigue and more violence. Which is fitting for the character and makes sense as you follow along. The story itself is good and leads to a conclusion that is very satisfactory. It's writing is on par with the previous books. The best part of the series is the world building and how it affects the characters and the culture. The setting itself really comes alive. Overall the series is fantastic and the last book in the series is no different. ( )
  renbedell | Mar 30, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible