A Deadly Affection (Dr. Genevieve Summerford…

A Deadly Affection (Dr. Genevieve Summerford Mystery)

by Cuyler Overholt

This is the first book by Cuyler Overholt that I have read and I can't wait for more in this series. I love Dr. Genevieve Summerford. This takes place in the early 1900's and she is a psychiatrist. She wants to treat women who have problems. During her first tries in a group setting she meets a woman who is soon accused of murder. Did Genevieve cause her to commit murder or is she innocent. Genevieve feels she must help Eliza. During this story there are many twists and turns and Genevieve learns some great life lessons. I received this book from Sourcebooks publicity department for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Oct 4, 2016 |
First in series featuring Dr. Genevieve Summerford, psychiatrist in 1907 New York. Genevieve turns down a stable position in a hospital to try experimental group therapy with women whose physical symptoms cannot be explained. She believes their pain has a mental cause. She's hardly begun when one of her patients is accused of a brutal murder and Genevieve becomes determined to prove her innocence. She will have to face some parts of her past to succeed, however. An engaging, easy read with a compelling plot and slight romance about a woman blazing trails in the medical field and flexing her muscles as a private investigator, too. ( )
  bookappeal | Sep 21, 2016 |
If you read a lot, sometimes the end of a book just isn't that exciting. The odds, quite frankly, are stacked against it, aren't they? It can be a little hard to get wrapped up in a climax - more often it seems to me that the pleasure is in the journey, the characters, the turn of phrase, etc. A book can only end so many differemt ways, right? Well, don't get me wrong - I am not suggesting that the ending of this novel was some sort of shocking surprise, but it was really, really pleasant. The various plot lines each had their own distinct wrap-up, not a one size fits all denoument in a blender. As I do with all of my reviews, I leave the plot summaries to other reviewers, and will just tell you that if you like a good mystery, if you especially like psychology, a strong woman making her way in a man's world, the historical setting of the Tammany Hall days of NYC, and yes, and handsome Irishman, you will find this book worth the read. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
What a wonderful read! This is one of the most riveting books I've read in the past year, never having a dull or slow moment. I loved the author's style and was genuinely entertained by her writing.

The storyline is full of mystery and suspense with many complexities, but told in a smooth flowing style. A beautifully crafted and emotionally gripping novel that is superbly done. My rating is 5+ stars. Don't miss this one.

Join me on Twitter @ghmstudio for more reviews. ( )
  wrbinpa | Jun 10, 2013 |
A gripping tale filled with intrigue and suspense. So beautifully written, you don't realize how much of the time period you've absorbed. I loved this book and was deeply involved with the characters. Best authentic and complex romance to come along in long time. ( )
  Larry.J | Feb 24, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 149263736X, Paperback)

"Do no harm" is easier said than done...

Dr. Genevieve Summerford prides herself on her ability as a psychiatrist to understand the inner workings of the human mind. But when one of her patients is arrested for murder-a murder Genevieve fears she may have unwittingly provoked-she begins to doubt her training and intuition. Unable to believe that her patient could have committed the gruesome crime, Genevieve seeks out answers, desperate to clear the woman's name-and her own.

Over the course of her investigation, Genevieve uncovers a dark secret-one that could, should Genevieve choose to reveal it, bring down catastrophe on those she cares most about. But, should she let it lie, it will almost certainly send her patient to the electric chair. Steeped in the gritty atmosphere of turn-of-the-century New York City, A Deadly Affection is a riveting debut mystery and the first in an exciting new series featuring Dr. Genevieve Summerford.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 15 May 2016 15:50:00 -0400)

"One of the first women practicing in the advanced new field of psychology, Dr. Genevieve Summerford is used to forging her own path. But when one of her patients is arrested for murder--a murder Genevieve fears she may have unwittingly provoked--she is forced to seek help to solve the crime and clear her patient's name ... and her own"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,870,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible