A Deadly Affection by Cuyler Overholt

A Deadly Affection (edition 2012)

by Cuyler Overholt

Member:Larry.J
Title:A Deadly Affection
Authors:Cuyler Overholt
Info:Copper Bottom Press (2012), Paperback, 452 pages
Rating:*****

A Deadly Affection (Dr. Genevieve Summerford Mystery) by Cuyler Overholt

This novel was given to me by NetGalley as an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

YAYYY Historical Fiction!!!!! Most of the time, when I choose to read a historical fiction novel, it is something sad that illuminates the trials and struggles of a certain race during a difficult period of history. I am happy to say that this story, while outlining the struggles of women and the acceptance of mental disorders, is not extremely sad in its portrayal of the 1900s. So before I give more away, here is my review:

1907 is a difficult time to be a female physician in New York. Most men do not respect you and there is a great deal of discrimination when it comes to being hired and moving up in the ranks. This career path becomes even more difficult when you are a psychiatrist; it is a field that most people scorn. Dr. Genevieve Summerford is determined to make herself a name in psychology and decides to launch a course where she talks to a group of women and helps them deal with their mental disorders. However, she may have bit off more than she can chew, when one of her patients is accused of committing murder - a murder Genevieve may have accidentally provoked. Desperate to clear her patient's name and assuage her guilty conscience, Genevieve begins to dig around for clues that could point to another suspect. But even she couldn't have been prepared for the secrets she discovers - and the ways in which they could destroy everything she holds dear.

I really enjoyed this novel. As soon as I began reading it, I couldn't put it down. Genevieve is a strong female character who is passionate and caring and HUMAN. What I mean by human is that she is just like any other person you would encounter in real life; she is not some ultimate protagonist who is completely righteous. Her ability to make mistakes and her doubts make her a believable character that a reader can feel kinship towards. I enjoyed the fact that she was in the medical profession, and as someone who has studied psychology, I found that the terms and behaviours described for various conditions in the book were mostly on point, which made me very very happy. Overall, this was a great historical fiction novel with a fast-paced plot and interesting psychological references. The novel will be coming out in September so keep an eye out for it! You definitely don't want to miss it! ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
This is the first book by Cuyler Overholt that I have read and I can't wait for more in this series. I love Dr. Genevieve Summerford. This takes place in the early 1900's and she is a psychiatrist. She wants to treat women who have problems. During her first tries in a group setting she meets a woman who is soon accused of murder. Did Genevieve cause her to commit murder or is she innocent. Genevieve feels she must help Eliza. During this story there are many twists and turns and Genevieve learns some great life lessons. I received this book from Sourcebooks publicity department for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Oct 4, 2016 |
First in series featuring Dr. Genevieve Summerford, psychiatrist in 1907 New York. Genevieve turns down a stable position in a hospital to try experimental group therapy with women whose physical symptoms cannot be explained. She believes their pain has a mental cause. She's hardly begun when one of her patients is accused of a brutal murder and Genevieve becomes determined to prove her innocence. She will have to face some parts of her past to succeed, however. An engaging, easy read with a compelling plot and slight romance about a woman blazing trails in the medical field and flexing her muscles as a private investigator, too. ( )
  bookappeal | Sep 21, 2016 |
If you read a lot, sometimes the end of a book just isn't that exciting. The odds, quite frankly, are stacked against it, aren't they? It can be a little hard to get wrapped up in a climax - more often it seems to me that the pleasure is in the journey, the characters, the turn of phrase, etc. A book can only end so many differemt ways, right? Well, don't get me wrong - I am not suggesting that the ending of this novel was some sort of shocking surprise, but it was really, really pleasant. The various plot lines each had their own distinct wrap-up, not a one size fits all denoument in a blender. As I do with all of my reviews, I leave the plot summaries to other reviewers, and will just tell you that if you like a good mystery, if you especially like psychology, a strong woman making her way in a man's world, the historical setting of the Tammany Hall days of NYC, and yes, and handsome Irishman, you will find this book worth the read. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
What a wonderful read! This is one of the most riveting books I've read in the past year, never having a dull or slow moment. I loved the author's style and was genuinely entertained by her writing.

The storyline is full of mystery and suspense with many complexities, but told in a smooth flowing style. A beautifully crafted and emotionally gripping novel that is superbly done. My rating is 5+ stars. Don't miss this one.

Join me on Twitter @ghmstudio for more reviews. ( )
  wrbinpa | Jun 10, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 149263736X, Paperback)

"Do no harm" is easier said than done...

Dr. Genevieve Summerford prides herself on her ability as a psychiatrist to understand the inner workings of the human mind. But when one of her patients is arrested for murder-a murder Genevieve fears she may have unwittingly provoked-she begins to doubt her training and intuition. Unable to believe that her patient could have committed the gruesome crime, Genevieve seeks out answers, desperate to clear the woman's name-and her own.

Over the course of her investigation, Genevieve uncovers a dark secret-one that could, should Genevieve choose to reveal it, bring down catastrophe on those she cares most about. But, should she let it lie, it will almost certainly send her patient to the electric chair. Steeped in the gritty atmosphere of turn-of-the-century New York City, A Deadly Affection is a riveting debut mystery and the first in an exciting new series featuring Dr. Genevieve Summerford.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 15 May 2016 15:50:00 -0400)

"One of the first women practicing in the advanced new field of psychology, Dr. Genevieve Summerford is used to forging her own path. But when one of her patients is arrested for murder--a murder Genevieve fears she may have unwittingly provoked--she is forced to seek help to solve the crime and clear her patient's name ... and her own"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,920,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible