The spy of Venice by Benet Brandreth

The spy of Venice (edition 2018)

by Benet Brandreth

Member:SalemAthenaeum
Title:The spy of Venice
Authors:Benet Brandreth
Info:Pegasus, 2018.

The Spy of Venice by Benet Brandreth

2.5 stars for being pretentious and exhausting to read ( )
  bookhookgeek | Sep 8, 2018 |
The novel about Shakespeare's missing years is a good enough yarn... It has pace (partly due to the often very short - two pages! - chapters) and some nice references to the plays. However, I didn't find it well-written enough to engage me thoroughly - as someone who knows and loves lots of Shakespeare plays, I got the jokes but didn't necessarily find them all that funny. Nevertheless, I did persist to the end to find out what happened, so it has some narrative drive. My husband, conversant with but by no means in love with Shakespeare, enjoyed the novel more than I did.... ( )
  AmberMcWilliams | Nov 26, 2017 |

1585: When he's caught out by one ill-advised seduction too many, young William Shakespeare flees Stratford to seek his fortune. Cast adrift in London, Will falls in with a band of players -- but greater men have their eye on this talented young wordsmith. England's very survival hangs in the balance, and Will finds himself dispatched to Venice on a crucial embassy. Dazzled by the city's masques -- and its beauties -- Will little realises the peril in which he finds himself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,630,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible