Prince Prigio by Andrew Lang
271402,159 (5)1

Like generations of other children, I grew up loving Andrew Lang's 'Fairy Books.' However, I don't think I ever had the opportunity to read 'Prince Prigio.' It's too bad; I think that not only would I have enjoyed it, I might've learned some valuable life tips from it. However, there are some bits that might've flown right over my head at that time.

The story is humorous, clever and satirical... but not to such a degree that it detracts from the pure enjoyability of the story.

Prince Prigio is an oldest son who was gifted by the fairies with a number of magical gifts at his christening - not least the gift of being 'too clever.' However, Prigio takes after his pragmatic and scientific-minded mother, and doesn't believe in fairies - or anything magical at all. Therefore, when his father insists that he go on a quest to defeat the notorious fabulous beast, the Firedrake - he doesn't take the request seriously at all. After all, the beast doesn't exist!

However, the way events play out may requires that several characters rethink their basic outlooks... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Fairy story based on a folk tale from South Africa.

6 free

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,997,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible