Goblin Quest by Jim C. Hines

Goblin Quest (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Jim C. Hines

Member:JessicaABaker
Title:Goblin Quest
Authors:Jim C. Hines
Info:DAW (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Goblin Quest by Jim C. Hines (2006)

Homeland by R. A. Salvatore (binarydude)
    Heroes of the Valley by Jonathan Stroud (SunnySD)
    Standard Hero Behavior by John David Anderson (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Being a hero isn't all about size or ability with a sword -- just ask Mason Quayle or Jig the Goblin!

It was refreshing to read a DnD dungeon crawl adventure from the perspective of the hated, weak, little goblin. The wicked adventurers invading his home on another of their quests, shown with all their flaws as real people, not the perfect heroes they imagine themselves to be.
If I hadn't been told this was the author's first book, I never would have known; it was that polished and well-told. I can't wait to read more by this author. ( )
  Curiosity64 | Feb 25, 2015 |
There are quite a few books which adopt as their protagonist a “villainous” Fantasy monster, but this one does a better job of it than most others. Only the webcomic Goblins! by Tarol Hunt is this book's equal at balancing humor and story.

Jig the goblin is a near-sighted runt, destined to die at the hands of the first adventurer he is unlucky enough to stumble into. Luckily for the reader, and Jig, destiny takes a sharp turn for the little monster. This book was short, well-paced, and competently characterized. Two of the adventurers are a flat imitation of a pair of the protagonists from the Dragonlance Dungeons and Dragons series, so familiarity with those books would enhance a reader's enjoyment of this one. Personally, I disliked Raistlin and his brother in Dragonlance, and seeing their dopplegangers through uncharitable goblin eyes was quite satisfying. Jim Hines managed to convert his success with short stories into a longer format by imitating the episodic structure of a typical tabletop roleplaying game. Many of the chapters of this book could stand as isolated short stories with a little tweaking. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
I liked the premise of this novel, but the execution didn't suit me most of the time. The little D&D references were probably meant as shout-outs to the readers; however, they just pulled me out of the story. I often felt like I was reading an interesting campaign log. I think the author found his voice, though, about 2/3 of the way through. I am willing to give the series a second try/ ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Fun! Surprising plot turns too. ( )
  kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |

GIFSoup

This was not the book I was looking for, but I'm so glad that I found it. Fantastic read! Review to come...
Cheers Pretties ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Jig hated muck duty.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756404002, Mass Market Paperback)

Jig is a scrawny little nearsighted goblin-a runt even among his puny species. Captured by a party of adventurers searching for a magical artifact, and forced to guide them, Jig encounters every peril ever faced on a fantasy quest.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:20 -0400)

Tormented by bullies, lowly goblin Jig, along with his cowardly fire-spider, is kidnapped by a group of adventurers and forced to lead them to the Rod of Creation, a dangerous mission that pits him against a Necromancer and a Dragon.

Jim C. Hines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

51 wanted4 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,094,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible